TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Green Mountain rust bus!! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
wrstp Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Where to start with Green Mountain rust bus? Well obviously its really rusty and just begs for help. This sweet ride was found in Lake Toxaway North Carolina by a close good friend and former coworker a few years ago and has been sitting in Charlotte waiting patiently for much needed help.

I will be honest I have tried to talk him out of fixing it more then once but he like so many vdub owners is crazy!! I mean that in the nicest way possible :D . Lucky for him I am one of those crazy vdub guys. So here we go on what I know will be a long and headache filled project.

Some shots from where it sat waiting patiently.

Brian_1952 Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:53 pm

All it won't be that bad its only a bus not like you're building a skyscraper the Golden Gate Bridge.. and with the help of some little green and lot of funky green oh and possibly some wacky tobacky green.. you'll be driving in no time to go get some munchies

gatorwyatt Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Wow! Lake Toxaway! No one knows where that is...great place! Good luck with the bus!

Brendel20 Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Awesome....take your time and enjoy the project! Best of luck!

wrstp Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:17 pm

After bug bombing the crap out of Green Mountain I started cleaning it up and rolled it in the garage. I am going to start with the cargo floor and center section so here is a few shots of what I am up against.

I have gerson cargo floors but will make outriggers, top hats and jack points from scratch.

wrstp Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:44 pm

After removing what was left of the floor and some of the bulk head a nice surprise reveled itself.

After a little fitting the panel is ready to weld in. I left a small gap all around and beveled the frame and the piece to ensure plenty of penetration.

Welded up and ready to grind smooth.

I also got the outriggers and rear splash panels made. Should start mocking up right side inner rocker and outriggers this weekend.

LAGrunthaner Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Wow great work, looking forward to more LOVE :D

wrstp Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Linda Grunthaner wrote: Wow great work, looking forward to more LOVE :D

Thanks Linda.
I also forgot to mention in the first post that the owner wants to save as much original paint as possible so the painter will have his work cut out for him. This is also the reason we didn't blast the bus.

Vintagespeed Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:38 am

wrstp wrote: Linda Grunthaner wrote: Wow great work, looking forward to more LOVE :D

Thanks Linda.
I also forgot to mention in the first post that the owner wants to save as much original paint as possible so the painter will have his work cut out for him. This is also the reason we didn't blast the bus.
LOL that sounds so familiar as we're doing exactly the same thing at the moment ( see "a 62 15w build") while somehow trying to preserve og paint as much as possible. Not easy when Replacing rockers, floors, etc.

Nice going, im following his one for sure

brettsvw Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:52 am

wrstp wrote:

Very nice welds.

wrstp Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:13 am

Vintagespeed wrote: wrstp wrote: Linda Grunthaner wrote: Wow great work, looking forward to more LOVE :D

Thanks Linda.
LOL that sounds so familiar as we're doing exactly the same thing at the moment ( see "a 62 15w build") while somehow trying to preserve og paint as much as possible. Not easy when Replacing rockers, floors, etc.

Nice going, im following his one for sure

Thanks and I was just checking out your thread and thinking at least I'm not the only crazy one in here! Check out his thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566225&highlight=

Also thanks Brettsvw. The little red Lincoln makes me look good sometimes.

rebapuck Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:15 am

Put Gerson on speed dial.

volksfahrer.nl Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:42 am

brettsvw wrote: wrstp wrote:

Very nice welds.

I second that!

wrstp Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:50 am

rebapuck wrote: Put Gerson on speed dial.

Lucky for us MonkeyNutVW is close by and they hooked us up with lots of Funky Green metal so thanks to them for the help.

marksch Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:52 am

Dammnnnnn those ARE nice welds!! Good luck, looks like you have plenty of skill to do the project!

kenshapiro2002 Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:41 am

Love seeing resto projects that make my bucket of rust look solid! :lol:

wrstp Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Got started on the right rear splash this morning.

Ended up being more then just the splash. I know I was shocked too.

I also set up the inner rocker and outriggers. The rear outrigger needed just a little tweaking but over all real happy with fit.

cdennisg Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:18 pm

volksfahrer.nl wrote: brettsvw wrote: wrstp wrote:

Very nice welds.

I second that!

Funny, as I was looking through the pictures I saw this weld and started to count how many photos there were for my edited quote of this pic. Then I realized that others saw the same thing.

When I weld, I celebrate the occasion that my work comes out any where near this nice. Well done!

Oldfart Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:58 pm

cdennisg wrote: volksfahrer.nl wrote: brettsvw wrote: wrstp wrote:

Very nice welds.

I second that!

Funny, as I was looking through the pictures I saw this weld and started to count how many photos there were for my edited quote of this pic. Then I realized that others saw the same thing.

When I weld, I celebrate the occasion that my work comes out any where near this nice. Well done!
Tig welds?

durfeec Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:39 am

Oldfart wrote: Tig welds?

wrstp wrote: The little red Lincoln makes me look good sometimes.