TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How to tell the different models for '59
iamdonquixote Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:23 am

I was looking at 59' 356 in CT and wondering how to tell the difference in models? Is there a link to descriptions online? I know there is a sunroof and convertible but what are the other models ?

Thanks

bbspdstr Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:32 am

To make it easy, there were (3) 356 models in '59; Coupe, Cabriolet and the Convertible D, the successor to the Speedster (The D has a higher top and windshield with roll-up door windows and a chrome windshield frame that is removable, whereas the Cabriolet windshield frame is fixed and the glass is the same as the Coupe.)

If a '59 is original and a US model, the front bumper chrome cross-tube has what is called a 'high' position for alignment to a 'high' notch in the (2) vertical guards. That was a one-year-only detail. The rears didn't change from the '58 design which had (2) cross tubes, one left, one right. '57 rear was one tube, similar to the fronts.

If the car was a Euro delivery or brought in later or the bumper was changed during the car's life, all bets are off, as there are few differences from one 'T-2' 'A' model to another.

jjjjack Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:59 am

http://www.mejor.com/356/356picar.htm

HTH,

iamdonquixote Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:52 pm

It had vent windows so would that make it a 60? Is there an online resource for looking up vin #?

der max Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:00 am

jjjjack wrote: http://www.mejor.com/356/356picar.htm

HTH,

Nice article and very useful for a newbie.

Sebastian Gaeta Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:09 pm

bbspdstr wrote: To make it easy, there were (3) 356 models in '59; Coupe, Cabriolet and the Convertible D...

Hi Bruce,

I am going to muddy the waters here and pick a nit. Starting in 1958, Porsche marketed a 4th model, the "Hardtop" which (as you know) was just a cabriolet delivered with a removable hardtop instead of a soft top.

Yes, simply a cab with different top, and therefore a different price, but marketed as a 4th model nonetheless. 8)

Cheers,

Sebastian Gaeta Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:11 pm

jjjjack wrote: http://www.mejor.com/356/356picar.htm

HTH,

Jack,

That article and the illustrations look exactly like what Bertrand Picard submitted to the Registry magazine many, many years ago. The '52 coupe pictured is even his car.

Do you by chance know the story behind this article/website?

Regards,

jjjjack Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:08 am

Sorry Sebastian, no idea. Just a convenient page I keep in my trusty set of bookmarks :-)

I sure hope "someone" doesn't try to take it down and lock it away!!!!

Sebastian Gaeta Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:00 am

jjjjack wrote: Sorry Sebastian, no idea. Just a convenient page I keep in my trusty set of bookmarks :-)

I sure hope "someone" doesn't try to take it down and lock it away!!!!

No apologies necessary Jack, I was just curious how the website came about having that info. Bertrand passed away about 15 years ago so I am sure no one is getting in trouble here. Perhaps they are old friends of his?

Who knows, but that has always been the best article on model ID out there.

Regards,

jjjjack Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:09 am

I agree. I recall studying that intently when I first became interested in the 356!