TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Advantage 325 Primer/ Filler/ sealer
Doug C Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Has anyone here used Advantage (brand) 325 Primer filler/sealer? When at the paint store the other day, I asked about Epoxy primers [for AU paint] and also mentioned that I was on a tight budget.. the jobber recommended that I use "Advantage 325".

He said it could be sprayed over bare metal and was a high build primer (which I would have needed to get seperately anyway) and could also be used as a sealer (which I'd need to get seperately too, or thin out whatever epoxy primer I got if it was possible).

So am I understanding this right, three products in one effectively? I know there are very good reasons for buying the seperate items, but if on a budget is this stuff worth the money? Here it is:
http://www.advantagerefinishproducts.com/advantage...26-dtm.htm

Doug C Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:46 pm

OK I know you should use a 2K high build Filler Primer OVER epoxy but since this product is a "Direct to Metal" (DTM) that is made with epoxy polymers and describes itself as adding corrosion resistance... then considering that mixing it without reducer makes it a high build primer - that's killing 2 birds right there. Then add the fact that with 2 parts urethane reducer it becomes a sealer.. it sounds like an all in one product. Are there other brands of this same type stuff I should look into before buying? I'm tempted to try this stuff but would like a first hand review if possible. Thoughts?

Spezialist Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi,
With a quick glance at your posting history it looks like your really interested in body work and paint.
All auto refinishing systems are not compatible with each other.
That combined with the fact that manufactures have different substrate finishing requirements (think sandpaper)
You will be (are) throwing money away when you waste supplies because they don't work together.

As far as high build primer, I have never used it, it is a corner cutter.
Cut enough corners and you'll go in circles.

My suggestion:
Pick one brand (think system) and stick with it.

Doug C Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Spezialist wrote: ...All auto refinishing systems are not compatible with each other.

Yes I know, which is why I posted the thread in hopes that someone or several people would have experience with it, and could comment.

Spezialist wrote: far as high build primer, I have never used it, it is a corner cutter.

Maybe it is a 'corner cutter' but it's one that a lot of people seem comfortable with using, judging from the number of threads on it and posts that recommend it. I'm ok with it personally.

Spezialist wrote: suggestion:
Pick one brand (think system) and stick with it.

I know that's the standard answer. I'm looking for actual experience though. Not trying to be difficult, just trying to weed out the negativity without basis. The single system would be my preference (of course) but my financial situation right now is such that I need to investigate my options. I have done a little research since posting the thread and there are several well known brands that offer these 3-in-1 solutions (U-POL, Mar-Hyde, Summit, etc) so they are probably somewhat accepted in the industry. I have not been able to locate statements over the net (not just this forum), that point to these products as being the cause of any failure.. though I know it is possible.

BTW - Sorry, if I've reached my posting limit, don't feel obligated.

skills@eurocarsplus Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 pm

i would advise you, but special-guy has all the answers. if you want my take on it, PM me, because i will help you....not leave you with more questions

randy just like to stir up the shit, post no photo's of his work and tell the rest of us we are doing it wrong.

again, willing to help, just use the PM system here

chrisflstf Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:34 am

Quote: As far as high build primer, I have never used it, it is a corner cutter.

If you have never used this product, then your opinion about it doesnt matter