TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: things in hot vws and vw trends Page: 1, 2  Next
flamed74vwthing Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:45 pm

whos backside do you have to wash to get a slammed vw thing into the mags whats the hatered Ive won 6 1st place shows for my car and only one far away shot of my car has ever graced the pages I really feal theres a thing about lowered things.I think they look better

bljones Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:50 am

have you ever talked to any of the guys covering the shows, to find out what you have to do to get coverage? Can't diss the game just cuz you didn't learn how to play.

TimGud Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:36 am

You might start by pm'ing dave with the amount of cash you intend to send to get your thing in the mag. :wink:

sixfootdan Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:26 am

You got som better pics of that thing? 8)

flamed74vwthing Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:30 pm

there are several on the samba
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/63840.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/81932.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/63806.jpg

sixfootdan Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:26 pm

Looks Good! :wink:

flamed74vwthing Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:38 pm

im in the process of new interior and going to repaint this winter and add some darker flames on the green maybe a hint of orange and blue

Erik G Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:56 am

things are cool in my book. just need to convence the rest of the world. I would talk to the magazine guys when they come to your local show. you might be suprised how nice they are

Kombi Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:03 pm

Erik G wrote: things are cool in my book. just need to convence the rest of the world...
Kinda like Type 3's... things have their own following... I Like the look of lowered things... here's one from last summer

fretless Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:37 pm

hey flamed74vwthing. I think I saw your Thing at the Vista Thing Shop show. it looked cool enough. I wouldn't mind seeing more things in those mags. The only time I ever purchase one is if there is a Thing in it. lowerd anything is not my bag but a Thing is cool anyway you have it. You have 17" wheels and it's lowerd. how can you turn that Thing without the tiers rubbing. good luck.

TimGud Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:56 pm

I wouldn't lower mine as I use it out in the mountains but they sure do look sweet when they are! I too wouldn't mind seeing more of them in the mags as well, but the saying so many women so little time came to mind as I wrote it. (insert VW in place of women)

vwjosh6070 Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:40 pm

feb. 2004's edition of vw trends has a nice picture of a fully restored convertable yellow thing. and in the nuts&bolts section there is a picture of a thing. there is even a whole section about things in here.
in jan. issue of vw trends there is a couple shots of a silver thing, but they arent close ups. then later on in the mag, is a close up of a restored convertable thing. then there is a nice far shot of a bunch of vw's with a thing in it.
jan. issue of vw trends has a far shot of a bunch of vw's with like 2 or 3 things in it
just write to them and explain your situatin. then maybe they'll shoot more of them for their mags.

vwjosh6070 Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:41 pm

after all, the thing is based off of the infamous kubelwagen.

Bugs'n'Pugs Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:41 pm

flamed74vwthing wrote: there are several on the samba

That looks good! Any luck with the mags?

surfarii Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:24 pm

If you want get in a magazine pick up a few and look for the editors . Call them and send them photos of your ride. If they are not interested ask them what you could do to it to make it a consideration for them.
For example , years ago I was building a vehicle and wanted to get print and free products/sponsership (goes hand and hand by the way). I went to the S.E. M.A. show in Vegas to pimp the idea to venders and magazines . With a portfolio in hand I talked to as many people as would listen.
What I learned was the vehicle I wanted in my mind and the vehicle the magazines and venders wanted to advertise their products on were much different.
In the end I walked away with 10 sponsorships, 5 different magazine articles and a compromise.

The single most important thing I was told was color gets cover. Flames are cool, but out if your trying to be fresh . If your gonna repaint and want a cover ask the mags what they want to see
Keep in mind they need you as much as you want them. For all of that work the most people typically walk away with is bragging rights

Magazines are in the business of selling ads . Cool cars sell mags, the higher the magazines distribution the more they can charge for an ad . The editors job is to know what cars do well to sell their mag.
That my friend is the game

Surfarii

181freak Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:57 pm

best mag hands down is Volksworld..

They did a shoot of mine and it was in their Sept 07 issue.. wish I had a link..

awesome people and an awesome mag! I was honored to have been on the pages of such a great mag!

Ian Epperson Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:28 pm

http://www.volksworld.com/magazine/1408/volksworld-september-2007.html

Too bad you can't see any articles.

surfarii Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:50 am

There is no surprise this one got print , It even looks better in person.
I seem to remember the engine and compartment was very detailed.
I love your ride. I saw it in Irvine 2 years ago

181freak Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:40 am

actually.. here's the link
http://www.volksworld.com/magazine/1440/volksworld-october-2007.html

sorry it was October not September.. :oops:

Thanks for the comments..

I drive this car about 3 or 4 days a week too!

can't beat our weather right now!

Ron Domeck Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:48 pm

I have had two of my cars featured. My restored yellow 74 VWTrends April 02 and my lowered full flame 73 in HotVW Nov 06. Both cars were filmed at the Effingham Il. show. The yellow restored car took about 18 months to show up, but my brite flame car only took 4 months. My tan mil. look car was filmed also at a show by VWTrends but did not get featured when they stopped the mag. So it seems the bright colors will be published faster. The larger the show the better chance they will film your car.