TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1972 bus hardtop camper. Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Branden Apitz Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:08 am

Type 2
1700, Converted to single Weber

Problem Gas leak

I have had my bus Donna, since 1990 and recently got her running again.

Gas is leaking from a small metal disc shaped piece with a hose attached to it. It is leaking from the hose, hose is conected to the metal disk shaped item. The location of this small disc shaped piece with a hose is directly under the heater box. In order to find the leak I had to take a metal cover off from underneath the bus (Front passenger side of engine).

I am planning to go to October Fest in Kokomo, Indiana the weekend of the 28th and I want to be safe with kids and wife.

Please assist me so I can get my wife to love Donna as much as I do.

Branden

scrivyscriv Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:10 am

A couple of photos would help a lot - but it just sounds like you need to replace the fuel hoses. They wear out internally from all the heat in the engine compartment. Try looking at Aircooled.net for their carbureted fuel hose. Do you have a Bentley bus manual? Mine has helped tremendously.

Branden Apitz Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:18 am

Thanks for posting back I will take some photos and post them up here. I have a broad VW from chiltons, a haynes that has hardly anything on the fuel system, but I will get the other you mentioned.

Branden Apitz Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:56 am

[/img]

Branden Apitz Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:05 am

Where is that gass line supposed to connect? I can not find an obvious spot that it would go to. The old line was cracked and very old.

Manfreds78bay Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:08 am

Branden Apitz wrote: 1972

I am planning to go to October Fest in Kokomo, Indiana the weekend of the 28th and I want to be safe with kids and wife.

Branden

Looks like it's your fuel pump. But if Donna has been sitting since 1990, she needs new all new fuel lines. If you want to be safe with your wife and kids you will either change all your fuel lines or not take Donna at all.

If you do a search for fuel lines you will get a lot of info. A lot of Bus owners have ordered this kit. Including me.http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17689&cat=&page=1

I'm not sure if you have dual webbers or not.

Without new fuel lines you are risking a fire that will kill Donna and scare the crap out of your kids and wife.

In my opinion, if you have not touched that bus since 1990, do not drive it anywhere until you have gone through all the brakes and fuel lines.

Manfreds78bay Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:11 am

Branden

Looks like it's your fuel pump. But if Donna has been sitting since 1990, she needs new all new fuel lines. If you want to be safe with your wife and kids you will either change all your fuel lines or not take Donna at all.

If you do a search for fuel lines you will get a lot of info. A lot of Bus owners have ordered this kit. Including me.http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17689&cat=&page=1

Without new fuel lines you are risking a fire that will kill Donna and scare the crap out of your kids and wife.

In my opinion, if you have not touched that bus since 1990, do not drive it anywhere until you have gone through all the brakes and fuel lines.

Manfreds78bay Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:11 am

Branden

Branden Apitz Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:16 am

The van has been operational in my possession since 1990. I have driven it every year since I got it a few hundred miles or so. I agreee I need to change the lines after seeing the shape that one was in.

I am running with a single weber carb.

I am not sure where the line that was broken connects. Please advise.

I appreciate you time. Now in the middle of my life I feel the need to work on her myself, but I am just learning to no be so nervous about taking things apart and getting them back together.

Branden

Manfreds78bay Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:27 am

Branden Apitz wrote: The van has been operational in my possession since 1990. I have driven it every year since I got it a few hundred miles or so. I agreee I need to change the lines after seeing the shape that one was in.

Branden

The fact that it has run every year since 1990 doesn't matter. If they haven't been changed you need to do so or your are risking a lot.

Looks like there are two connections to that fuel pump. One coming in from the gas tank and one going out to your carbs. Trace the line back to either one to figure it out.

Branden Apitz Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:36 am

I already ordered the kit. Thank you for the link and the kit in the butt.

busdaddy Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:45 am

Good thing your'e going to change those lines they look nasty.
The small hose off the bottom is a drain and doesn't connect anywhere, if it's piddling gas the pump has failed internally. Luckily for you new pumps are available http://airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/new-last-...21127025-a

Branden Apitz Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:09 pm

OK good thing nothing happened.

Do I really need to remove the engine to replace this fuel pump? according to my chilton's it says I need to first remove the engine... eeeek.

Branden

philbrickvw Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Branden Apitz wrote: Do I really need to remove the engine to replace this fuel pump? according to my chilton's it says I need to first remove the engine... eeeek.

You shouldn't have to.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449757

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433832

Do you have a Bentley manual? In my experience, the Chilton manuals are over generalized (lumping several different engines and years in one book.) Tends to lead to false information.

busdaddy Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:27 pm

No you don't have to drop the engine, you do have to remove the carb preheat duct to get at one of the triple square headed (not allen or torx) bolts so start on the backs of those screws with some PB blaster now.

Dansux Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:48 pm

I recently changed my fuel pump & lines. You don't need to remove the motor.

If you also take off the stove pipe & heater flap coming out of the heater box it provides better access. It's only a few extra screws.

I used 1/4 inch Barricade fuel line from my local Napa, it was $3 a foot. There is a discussion/link on here regarding ethanol gas mixtures destroying fuel lines. This probably why the lines are leaking.

http://www.napabeltshose.com/~/media/NAPA/Documents/NAPA_Barricade_4%20Page%20Brochure.ashx

Branden Apitz Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Thank you for the advice and link, I have one more question before I begin this process.

Has anyone ever fixed a fuel pump? I have found a few things online about fixing it.

Does anyone have any opinions on buying a new one or fixing the old one?

Dansux Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:50 pm

If the fuel pump is working I would not mess with it.

Change the 2 fuel lines and use new even pressure line clamps and drive it :D

Branden Apitz Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:56 pm

The pump is dribbling gass out of the drain on the pump. It is working, but working dangerously. It is the original pump though too and I would kind of like to keep the integrity of old Donna, but if it is near impossible I will not even attempt ti.

I am just wondering if fixing the pump is better than buying a new one. Buying vs fixing. How hard is it to fix? I know how easy it is to buy.

Anyone have a preferred way they like to do it?

busdaddy Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Branden Apitz wrote: Has anyone ever fixed a fuel pump?
Years ago sure, but the repair kits have been NLA for 10+ years as well as new pumps. Happily a new reproduction pump is just recently available and at a price less then the repair kits once cost or the crappy electric substitutes. Embrace the opportunity to buy the correct parts at a good price while you can, there's not many 41 year old vehicles you can do that for cheaply. It's also a good idea to support the vendors that go to the trouble of reproducing/selling this stuff because if you don't sooner or later there won't be any new parts available and that will be a very sad day.