TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mallory YL-541-HP
reservoirdubs Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Does anyone know which E-Spark kit works with the Mallory YL-541-HP distributor? It has dual points and a black cap. The kit I bought is wrong.

GarageTime Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:26 am

In the same boat, just got my kit last week (61008M) and the rotor is way too large for small cap.

Was hoping could just pick up correct rotor and use same module, saw this rotor http://mallory-ignition.com/rotor-shutter-wheel-4cyl-unil-6013.html on Mallory's website and thought it would work, but after discussing with mallory tech, he told me no kit is available for our distributor?? Not sure he knew what he was talking about. Anyhow, not sure what to do next.

Any help is appreciated. Let me know what you do.
Thanks.

reservoirdubs Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:30 pm

I ordered just the rotor from the 61009 kit on the weekend (Mallory part number 337). It'll take a few weeks to get here. I too talked to Mallory and I don't trust what they actually said. I simply asked if the base plate/optical sensor was different in the 61009 set up from the 61008, and he said it was. I can't see how that's possible. He tried to tell me that it was different and that the sensor wouldn't line up with #1 properly on the rotor.

GarageTime Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Did the guy you spoke to at Mallory, tell you the 61009 kit would fit OK?

My guy said, no kit would because it has cast base... anyhow,

Please let me know how it works. I am inline with what you are thinking.

Thanks.

reservoirdubs Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:58 pm

I didn't even ask him. What cast base was he referring to? I took mine apart and installed the plate no problem. Like it was meant to be in there. The Mallory guy I talked to did say I needed the mini bowl set up. I didn't want to send the whole kit back, so I just ordered the rotor for $18 (cheaper than the shipping)

GarageTime Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:38 pm

So I ordered and received new 61009M kit for mini bowl today, figured if the module had same part number I would have spare and if for what ever reason they are different I could sell the 61008M kit.

So my findings, Yes the modules do have different part numbers:

61009M - for mini bowl - e-spark module part # 6001M

61008M - for Stack cap - e-spark module part #6100M

Needles to say the new kit fit no problems and it fired right up and I now have a 61008M kit for sale.

Maybe this will help or maybe the different part numbers do not matter. Either way good luck with yours.

Thanks Mike.

skanknpickle Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:02 am

mgerrard

Im trying to understand what you had to do to get the right parts. 61009M - for mini bowl - e-spark module part # 6001M is the kit that works for the
YL-541-HP . and thats all you needed right?

Brian_e Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:25 am

skanknpickle wrote: mgerrard

I'm trying to understand what you had to do to get the right parts. 61009M - for mini bowl - e-spark module part # 6001M is the kit that works for the
YL-541-HP . and that's all you needed right?

This is what I get. Works perfect on the old style Mallory, and Scat distributors.

Manufacturer's Part Number: 61009M
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-61009m/applications/distributor-model/yl-series

You do need to be careful which rotor style you have. I have found 2 different styles. Most have the standard shaft with a slot similar to a 009. Some of the others like a Bugspark, early Truehaft, and maybe even early Mallory's have a "D" shaped shaft, and I have not been able to find a replacement rotor. Just make sure your distributor shaft has a slot before ordering.

Brian

skanknpickle Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Awesome, well I bought one on here the other day from the classifieds for a great price, it hasnt gotten here yet but ill keep my fingers crossed. For the cap do you know which one would be the replacement. Thanks for the clearification so far. :D

Brian_e Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:25 pm

skanknpickle wrote: Awesome, well I bought one on here the other day from the classifieds for a great price, it hasnt gotten here yet but ill keep my fingers crossed. For the cap do you know which one would be the replacement. Thanks for the clearification so far. :D

Just go to your local decent auto parts place and ask for a "Standard" brand #AL134. Standard is the name of the company, like delco or bosch.

Not sure of the application, but I know that number woks. The young kid at Autozone will be lost without an application to punch into the computer, so I recommend a real parts store.

Brian

skanknpickle Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:49 pm

That sounds great, thanks . Autozone isnt good for much more than their oil and filter sales lol. They give deer in the headlights when it comes to custom or cross referencing part numbers.

skanknpickle Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:54 pm

I just did a search and summit has it. Also found the cap is for a 62 through 71 jeep cj5 with a 2.2 4 cyl :wink:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-al134?seid=srese1&gclid=CIOzps7j6rwCFU6Cfgod-ooA1A

GarageTime Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:59 pm

Yes for mini bowl, I had to buy a 61009M kit.

Works get and has small rotor to fit. Picked mine up on ebay for like ~65$ new.

skanknpickle Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:58 pm

Cool thanks, please explain the term mini bowl :wink:

I just saw a kit listed on amazon for 55 and change. Did you have to go the same way for your cap as mentioned above.

nextgen Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Guys my T-4 bug had 100k on it when I got an amazing deal on ebay late one night, Mallory Unilite for $60 used once on a race boat. Bought the gray springs from Aircooled.net.

LIke I said the car had 100k on it and I never expected any improvement at that age. WRONG!!!! I used the 12 idle and 28 full, timing and the car got better across the board. Amazing distributor.

Enjoy yourselfs.

jamrock volks Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:14 pm

The 61008m is for 8 cylinders with the stack cap..i made the same mistake getting mine from summit ,since there just blocks away from me....however I exchanged it for a petronix ignitor 2 unit..just think they are better than mallory which is a VERY!!!! sensitive unit.

skanknpickle Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:41 pm

One thing I have learned is that when running mallory electronics you have to run a surge protector. Any voltage spikes can ruin the unit. Years ago I had a unilite and hifire box on my 66 mustang and it made a world of difference. This will be my first on a vw, iv always just used the bosch oo9.

nextgen Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:27 pm

I have a Mallory Unilite in my bug for 10 years, with a Jacobs Bug Pac Ignition behind my rear seat, and it is triggered by my stock coil, that only acts as a trigger.No Ballast resistor.. That said it cannot hurt to have one.
the only down side would be is if you are actually using the coil for spark then the incoming voltage will be last, causing a cooler spark.

skanknpickle Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Form my experience and what every else has wrote the can be very sensitive so i figure a little insurance doesnt hurt.

skanknpickle Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:42 pm

[quote="Brian_e"] skanknpickle wrote: mgerrard

You do need to be careful which rotor style you have. I have found 2 different styles. Most have the standard shaft with a slot similar to a 009. Some of the others like a Bugspark, early Truehaft, and maybe even early Mallory's have a "D" shaped shaft, and I have not been able to find a replacement rotor. Just make sure your distributor shaft has a slot before ordering.

Brian So I got my mallory in the mail today and opened it up and I think I got the one with the D shaped shaft you mentioned :cry: Here is a shot of it.You said you havent been able to find a replacement with the espark kit.