TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bye Bye, Bug Page: 1, 2  Next
Donnie strickland Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:40 pm

This is the post I hoped to never have to make. Last Thursday my '66 was rear-ended by a lady in a Ford Focus who was turned around in her seat, "hollering at her kids". I was stopped, and the impact knocked me into a van stopped in front of me, crunching the front as well. I got a fractured sternum and several rib fractures from the seat belt I installed several years ago, but thankfully that was all.

I've had this Bug since 1997, and it was truly a daily driver. It was a "working" VW -- it wasn't the best looking Bug out there, but it was mine, dang it. Now I guess I'll have to start searching...

[/img]

SgtSamy Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:48 pm

This bug is restorable. Please dont let her down.

*Darren Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:01 pm

I am glad to hear you made through relatively ok. The bug however took a beating - that front looks a bit twisted. Have it checked out and if it turns out beyond what you can do/take on/afford, give it a shot of letting someone else have at it. Best of luck.

Donnie strickland Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:02 pm

It's worse than it looks...I haven't had the opportunity to take better photos, but the engine and trans are pushed forward so that the firewall is bulged up and forward into the seat area, and the frame horns are bent. The engine case is destroyed, and the carb and distributor are crushed. The front fenders are pushed back into the wheels so that the tires won't roll, though I think the frame head is all right (but I can't be sure).

Nothing is impossible, but for the amount of money it would take to fix this, I think it would be far cheaper to start over with another car.

Donnie strickland Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:04 pm

Although when my 8 year old son saw it -- he always tries to find the bright side --- he said, "Well at least the tailpipes didn't get bent!"

jwp67 Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:27 pm

Sorry to hear that you lost your friend. At least your injuries weren't worse. If it is not fixable, at least strip all useable parts off it for your next bug or for someone else. Maybe the parts could help fund the next ride. Good luck!

esde Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Use some Samba ads to show comparable value when negotiating with the insurance company. They will try to pay out as little as possible, given the "poor mans car" image, and relatively low insurance values. Make sure you get enough to take care of yourself first, and get back into a bug that's at least as nice.

VOLKSWAGNUT Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:28 pm

And just because an insurance company totals it.. doesnt mean they own it.. If you plan to stay in the hobby....keep it.. for parts.

Alte Blechdose Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Has to be breaking your heart. I got that sinking feeling about a year ago looking at the damage on my 65 bugs front fender and caved in nose. A seventeen year old girl chatting on a cell phone while driving her moms car caused mine. I swerved to miss her otherwise the damage would have been much worse. Made me wanna puke. Nobody got hurt but the temptation to smash that cell phone of hers almost caused a blood vessel to burst in my forehead.

The insurance company coughed up 1400 bucks for the fender, headlight, front bumper, turn signal and misc hardware. Body shop wouldn't touch it for less than 1200 just to straighten the body panel and paint. Took me 2 months to get parts together, Straighten panel, sand and painted the car. Not it's former original self and not a show car by any means, but she still gets me around everyday. Hope you find another one if this one has to become a donor. Damn shame.

Donnie strickland Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:19 pm

I definitely plan on keeping it. There are a lot of parts which would be useful (the front beam, for instance, which was completely rebuilt almost exactly a year ago).

AlteWagen Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Id make a baja and have even more fun with it!

briansandiego Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Sorry about your VW but I'm glad you aren't too badly hurt, although broken ribs hurt like a B-atch! Coughing is the worst! Your story makes me want to add shoulder belts, I bet it would have been much worse without.

VolkswagenVMan Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Sorry about your bug, but good thing you are ok. Thats the one thing that scares the hell out of me is something like that happening. Not worried about myself but destroying my car. Good luck!!!!

evlwevl Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:49 pm

my worst nightmare, sorry it happened.

boxkiteflyer Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:26 pm

Are you sure your back doesn't hurt? :twisted:

Hazet863 Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:30 pm

I REALLY hate to see this kind of thing happen.

The person that hit you was EXTREMELY reckless, and you were in fact injured. Any chance of a lawsuit?

jjohnson67 Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Go to the doctor. Alittle extra cash wont hurt. U will end up spending money and it wasnt your fault.

panicman Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 pm

These VW's become our friends. Sorry that happened. 66 is an especially easy year to really get stuck on, too. I am hoping you find a great, straight body and pan with the engine you want, and you can transfer all of your old bug onto the new (starting with those tail pipes).

wayne1230cars Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:36 pm

I am very sorry that this has happened to you. Hope things work out in the best possible way for you. Obviously health is the number one priority but do grow attached to these cars!

This distracted driving has really become a major problem. It is frightening. I know yours was not a texting or cell phone situation but I do like the idea that some places are proposing of being allowed to access the at fault driver's cell phone records and use that as basis of laying charges if the time coincides with the accident. I have a 26 year old daughter who is lucky to be alive after a texting woman driving an SUV at 65 mph on an expressway in rush hour traffic did not notice that the traffic had come to a complete stop due to a narrowing down to one lane. Makes me still shiver to think about. :x Ticket them, sue them, revoke their cell phone ownership. whatever it takes. This problem has got to be addressed and sooner than later.

Please pardon my rant. I have really been thinking about that a lot lately.

anthracitedub Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:52 am

Sorry about your car, it's a good thing you came out much better.
Even though I don't like chopping up cars, I think I would makea kick ass baja out of it.