TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Streeeeeeeet Leeeegal! Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Axitech Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:43 pm

I towed the rail down to the neighborhood Pa Special Inspection Garage today and after a complete inspection, the Tech turned to me and said, "I see no reason it won't pass. Let's go do the paperwork ". Forty five minutes later I was at AAA and the lady there said she had an issue with my paperwork. The previous title was from Maryland and was 'branded' "odometer beyond physical limits" which means "over 100k miles". DUH! I asked why this is an issue. She tells me "because the previous owner checked off the box on the back that says " this is not the actual mileage". So? The vehicle at one point went past 100k, and the PO apparently, trying to be honest and forthright, ticked off that he had replaced the odometer and the one he installed did not reflect actual mileage. Seemed like a 'no-brainer' to me!

She says she will put it through. Then she says I need an insurance card. My wife brings one down (I was in the company truck). AAA lady- "This is for the Manx. I need one for this Dune Buggy". Pa has always been a "produce proof of insurance and after the plate is on , you have thirty days to get the new vehicle on the policy". Even my insurance agent confirmed this. She is unconvinced and un-moving. My insurance guy says it's not a problem, he'll get it for her tonight before he goes home. " The Insurance Man" in Willow Grove, Pa is a wonderful, hard working , independent agency if you need insurance. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Anyway, we now wait for PennDOT to wrap up the paperwork and ship out a plate. Typically a two week process. Then it's off to the Inspection Garage for the Safety Inspection, which it will pass because it's the same guy, and the Safety Inspection actually covers LESS than the "Special Inspection" does. I'll attempt an upload of pics in a little bit now. WooHoo!!!

Special thanks to Dave (FWB) for all the help and the use of the towbar. Bob

Axitech Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:50 pm

[/img]

DWP Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:59 pm

Congradulations Bob.
I guess I have to stop working on my BAJA and get my Rail legal.

Did the mechanic see any problems with the engine exposed????

DWP
Dave

Axitech Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:43 pm

I kind of opened myself up tocloser scrutiny by asking if he saw enough 'engine coverage'. He said , "Well, maybe the belt could use a cover". I'll order one of the shrouds for it, or swap out the engine from the Manx and let the Tri-Mil exhaust cover it for me.

I was very upfront with him by stating several times, "look, you are the guy with the license. I do not want t hazard your license in any way, so I'm asking you to tell me exactly what I need to do to get it through LEGALLY. No short-cuts".

I always hated when people would ask me to 'look the other way' on things safety or legal-related. That license is a man's livelihood. I despise folks who would ask a man to compromise safety or honor for the savings of a few dollars or hours of work. It ain't right.

But, yeah, it sailed right through. I had pictures of ll the brake work and all the windshield work on my phone so he knew I was meticulous about the safety aspect. That, and he has known my neighbor for decades and the neighbor told him a few years ago that I don't budge on safety or the laws.

don't_bug_me Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:53 pm

nice clean looking buggy

RailGuy Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:02 pm

I live in South jersey, in elmer. Ive got a street legal rail, when it warms up a bit, we should get together and ride. I dont have a windshield, or body panels so its a bit colder on my end haha.

Axitech Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:24 pm

I had asked several people, and here , about lightening my front suspension. It is TOO stiff! Remove some leafs from the top bar seemed the least destructive and able to undo project. My rail had the coilover front shocks too. I had removed them with no change. I weight 275 and the front end BARLEY drops with me on the bumper.

I did it today. remove the four outer leafs from the upper tube. It wasn't a HORRIBLE task, but not a lot of fun either. It got a little better, but not enough. I removed the front shocks again. This time it was MUCH better. I'm glad I didn't cut any leafs like I was thinking of doing. Anyway, So now I see I need to order some oil filled shocks. GREAT, there goes another $75 !!! BUT WAIT, what do I see? The coilover shocks are strangely similar to an oil filled stock shock except for the ugly spring and perches. I cut the spring, and the removed the perches. Reinstalled them and WOW!!! perfect front end, no bouncing from weak shocks, and the front end actually compresses when I lean on it.

Moral of the story: If you need a cheap set of good quality shocks, dig a pair of coilovers out of the trash can and remove the extra crap.

cherokee Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:34 am

Dealing with the state on getting these things legal is always a supreme pain....one day when I have an extra valium laying around I will tell you about getting one done in Missouri.

58Dub Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:19 am

reading these posts makes me happy to live in Michigan. they will let anything on the roads up here....or whats left of our roads

Axitech Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:28 am

Actually, Pa is not all that bad. I have done it twice now. We have one of the strictest safety inspection standards in the nation. So, all I had to do was make sure all my equipment was up to standards, brakes, glass, wipers, lights, body skins, fenders. Take it to the "Special construction" garage, which is basically a local garage where the owner has made the decision to make more money. He goes and gets the special license to allow him to certify vehicles are road-worthy enough to be allowed on Pa roads. Think big trucks here, bucket trucks, trucks that have railroad wheels added, trucks that have special equipment added, fire trucks with added water tanks, all of these require "special inspection". So, showing up with a rail and a case of his favorite beer (after the fact) pretty much guarantees that he will take the extra time to help you understand all that is needed to LEGALLY get on the road.

I don't fart around with safety and vehicles. I've worked hard for all I have and don't need some shyster lawyer and his lazy client taking it all away because I skimped on brakes.

So, after the special inspection , it's off top the notary public to get title work and registration work done. Send this off to the "Special Vehicles" branch of PennDOT and they look it over for problems. If none found, they issue a plate (usually at least two weeks, never heard of one passing and taking more than four weeks, plenty with issues can take up to a year, so it pays to be compliant the first time). When the plate arrives, put it on and take it back to the inspection garage for the Annual Safety Inspection sticker.

Final step, go have fun!! I'm in the 3rd day of waiting for PennDOT to issue a plate. Like a kid at Christmas!!

Axitech Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:14 pm

What a depressing week! I sent the paperwork off to PennDOT after doing the title work at AAA. PennDOT says they no longer need the photos they used to require (both sides, front and back). Like a dummy, I left the photos in the packet when I walked into AAA and the snotty woman who did the paperwork said, "I'm pretty sure you don't need them, but since they are here, we'll send them in anyway. Can't hurt!!" Yeah, it can hurt!!

Inspection station owner called me Thursday. The lady at PennDOT says "there is no way to get this vehicle street legal in PA. It's not a car, it's a dune buggy for crying out loud! No way is this ever going to be allowed on the streets of PA". Inspection tech argued that EVERY BIT OF THE VEHICLE IS LEGAL. She said she still "doesn't like it". Said she requires more pictures with more detail. Says she doesn't like the exhaust system. WTF????

I took a bunch more pictures and put them into a PowerPoint file for emailing. Sent them off in the hopes she will get off the pot and do her job. I get an automated email back. @##$%% will be out of the office Friday the 18th and will be back on the following Monday. GAWWWWW, I hate the government!!!

Anyway, that is where we are now. WAITING! For the record to those who are in line behind me, if I had NOT given them pictures, I'd have a plate on it right now!

ORANGECRUSHer Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Having done this myself I feel your agrivation. Michigan is easier but we need insurance before we can get plates too. Thank god we don't have to put fenders on. Without its considered a roadster. Perhaps if you have the insurance write it up as that it'll help her get past the buggy issue. Nice lookin buggy you got there.

Axitech Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:06 am

Oh, I had to buy insurance to initiate the paperwork to get a title/registration. We are very "insurance mandatory" here in Pa, well, unless you are here illegally, or not likely to show up in court to answer the ticket for not having insurance. If that's the case, they don't even bother writing the ticket.

Side note: I have a friend in insurance fraud detection. He told me, "You want to know how bad it is? Go drive down I-95 through Philly, get in the center lane, roll up between two other cars, if you have insurance, the other two drivers DON'T have it!" On in three cars in Philadelphia uninsured and the cops/courts refuse to do anything about it. Is it any wonder our rates are so high?

Anyway, I sit here waiting to hear from the state on Monday (I hope). Given the slow pace of government in general, and the fact that they use the USPS, and the apparent reticence to allow a 'not normal' vehicle to pass on the roadways, it appears it is going to be a cold day in Pennsylvania before I get street legal.
BUT I WILL GET THERE!!!

DWP Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:11 am

Keep trying,
if you need a different exhaust i have one. I am willing to bet that she thinks it,s one of those "polaris, yamaha ect" buggies. I think the trick is to convince her that this is a full length, VW beetle dune buggy. The same as the manx only without the body.
Might try a picture of both side by side.
Dave

also check
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/

DWP

Axitech Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:00 am

Dave, I sent her a PowerPoint file of about a dozen pics. She understands it is a VW and all that went into it. She is just a 'stick in the mud' old lady with a magnifying glass and over-active sense of impending doom and gloom (I picture this in my head). I did already swap out the motor from the Manx and installed it on the rail (for better power) and it has the Tri-Mil exhaust on it, so that should clear up that concern. Problem now is ,she went and took yesterday off so that throws my schedule down the road another few days. Damned .gov employees! Who do they think they are taking time off in the middle of our projects? The nerve of some people!!

dexter69 Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Fight the good fight brother.......get it done!

ORANGECRUSHer Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:45 am

ironic that insured rates are so low in your state but they are worried about an over built buggy with a conscientious owner. Remind me to stay away. I thought someone said it's always sunny there? B.S.

Axitech Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:55 am

Well, I am officially 'not happy' with the progress, and the attendant 'non-communicative and non-responsiveness' of my state's DOT. I called my State Rep's office and explained it to him and he is on it! He seemed dismayed at best when I explained how far beyond the law I had gone to ensure no snags and that the 'lady' at PennDOT said she 'didn't like' the vehicle and needed further photos. His words, "What is her problem? There is no wording in the law that gives her opinion any weight whatsoever." OOOOH , now she did it!!

DWP Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:30 pm

keep fighting, never give up.
That way it will make easy for the rest of us :D :D :D

You might try ACME car company. I forget who i was talking to about my rail but they said something about acme working on a street legal one. ormtrying to get one street legal. Old age does that to you.

Dave
DWP

Axitech Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:38 pm

Yep, I've been over and seen theirs a few times. The latest from them was they had 'back-burnered' theirs until they get other more pressing matters finished. Theirs is nice, but mine is going to be first! I WILL be first!!!