TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Car trade in questions
jshaddvw Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Ok so here is the story. Last friday my wife and I went to a used car dealer to look at an 04 Beetle convertible. We brought a car that was of equal value to trade in if we liked to bug. After driving it we both came to the decision that we liked the car and we wanted it. It had one problem though. The airbag light was on and we wanted it fixed prior to taking delivery of the car. We made a deal with the dealer that the light would be fixed and that they would take our car in on an equal trade. They said the car would be delivered to our house when the car was done. First they said one day to fix it and then two and so on. In the mean time they let us take another car to drive while we waited. now we arrive to today and the car still isnt fixed. They had to take it to an actual VW dealer to have them work on it. I took it upon myself to call the service dept. of said dealer to get some info on what the problem is and when it should be completed. The guy I talked to said it would be at least two months because the module under the seat was fried and that the part was on back order nationwide. I promptly called the GM of the dealer I got the car from and told him that since the car cannot be fix in a timely manner and that I do not feel that he has been very straight forward with me about the car that I do not want it and want nothing to do with him or his dealership. I also stated that I wanted my trade in back and I will bring him back the vehicle that he let me drive. He of course kept trying to "keep me happy" but I refused anything and said that the only thing that he could do is give me my vehicle back and I want no more business with him. He said it is not possible to give me my car back and that he will contact me tomorrow with my options. My question is what are my options in this deal? I have not taken delivery of the vehicle and it is not fixed so I feel that he is required to void any contract because he hasnt delivered on his end of the deal. I do have it in writing stating that they will repair the vehicle. Thank you guys for any information or guidence you can provide. This vehicle is for my wife and I want it to be safe for my kids and her to be able to drive in.

bowtiebug Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:32 pm

1st mistake was signing papers without being able to take delivery .

2nd mistake was not getting a WE OWE sheet , showing they agreed to fix the car .

3rd was agreeing to drive there loaner car instead of taking your own car until repairs were done .

there is a good chance they sold your trade to a wholesaler and it's long gone .

there is a good chance your stuck in the waiting game now and stuck with the loaner .

jshaddvw Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:04 pm

I do have a we owe sheet stating they would fix the car. I also thought that taking a car from their lot would be actually be a good idea. The vehicle I have is more valuable than the car I traded and more valuable than the Beetle. When I spoke to the GM he did say that my old car was still there. I agree I made multiple mistakes. This is probably going to end up bad and now I am pissed.

Desertbusman Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:08 pm

If the interim loaner is a real nice one and nicer than the bug then don't worry about it. Put all the wear and tear and mileage on the loner and think about how much less wear in being put on your new bug. You sure don't want to push a quick repair on the bug. Let the dealership do their job. You don't want your trade in back either since you might be liable for anything that could happen to it.

bottom line is you are getting free use of a car for 2 months. And your new bug is not getting any wear and tear on it. Sound like a good deal.