TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW parts vendor near Western NC
schwim Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:07 am

Hi there everyone,

I'm in need of some metal panels for my 59 Beetle and I'd like to steer clear of the shipping charges that I'm seeing from the online vendors. I live in Murphy, NC but can drive to Cleveland(1 hr) or Chat(2 hr), TN, Marietta, Kennesaw, Atl(2 hr), GA or Asheville(2 hr), NC if I need to. I was just wondering if someone knew of a VW parts store they could recommend that was relatively close to me.

Or, alternatively, someone that doesn't charge $30+ to ship a pan 1/4.

Mike Fisher Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:54 am

It will cost you More than $30 to drive 2 hours and 2 more hours back home. It might pay to drive and pick up some big repair panels, but most purchases won't be big enough to make it pay. 99% of your parts for an old VW will be shipped to you, so get over it! :wink:

P.S. USPS and/or Greyhound are the best/cheapest.

schwim Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks a bunch for handling the math for me but since we go to one of these places about once a month for other reasons, the question remains.

If there's anyone that can help with the stated question, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

vaughn bros. Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:27 am

Hello. I live in Hickory (semi western nc). There is a bug bash , with 100's of floor pans, in Farmington, NC, on the 20th. There are tells of a Vdub accessory place in SC just below Charlotte. There is Monkey ? Garage in Charlotte that has pans. Hope it helps. :D

ps. Your kinda deep in the Woods by living in Murphy. One our country's most beautiful areas this time of year. Lucky dawg.

schwim Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:57 am

vaughn bros. wrote: Hello. I live in Hickory (semi western nc). There is a bug bash , with 100's of floor pans, in Farmington, NC, on the 20th. There are tells of a Vdub accessory place in SC just below Charlotte. There is Monkey ? Garage in Charlotte that has pans. Hope it helps. :D

Thanks a bunch for the info! I saw a Monkey Nut ad in the classifieds. My wife has family in Charlotte, so I'll probably try to wrap up some purchases into the trip. I'll give them a call first to see if they stock the stuff or if I'll need to preorder everything.

vaughn bros. wrote: ps. Your kinda deep in the Woods by living in Murphy. One our country's most beautiful areas this time of year. Lucky dawg.

I love it. I mountain bike in the woods 2-3 times a week. The leaves are just starting to turn and drop and it's just fantastic right now.

luckystiff Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:39 am

yep you've got monkey nut in charlotte. what about whitey over in asheville area? we used to have carilina fun big here in hickory but i think leonard may have fully closed it up now, don't know if he's doing the shows or not.

as said one of your best bets is gonna be the shows as they happen. you just missed circle yer wagons in sevierville,tn last weekend. farmington is next sunday oct 20th. lots of stuff there.

theres also lots of guys in your area selling good used parts deoending on what you're looking for. hazetguy comes to the top of my head. john watlington here in hickory is still in it to...ken....

vaughn bros. Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:18 am

luckystiff wrote: .......... john watlington here in hickory is still in it to...ken....

Is John Watlington here on Samba? Always wondered.

kkjellquist Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:32 am

I still haven't been over there to chat about some work for my bus, but does anyone know if Asheville VeeDub sells parts?

luckystiff Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:43 pm

vaughn bros. wrote: luckystiff wrote: .......... john watlington here in hickory is still in it to...ken....

Is John Watlington here on Samba? Always wondered.

he occasionally list stuff in the classifieds but i think thats about it...

heynanc Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Saw the conversation about parts and Western NC. I live in Charlotte, and while I visit the Monkeynut people regularly for guidance, I'm still seeking the motherlode of a salvage yard(s) with a vanagon.

You all sound like you know your way around the block. Are there any more likely yards to contact?

I am going to guess this is as good of place as any to introduce myself.
I bought a 82 Westfalia air-cooled a month ago or so. I am now totally converted to the dark side of the Vintage world, and I'm just tallying the money as I bleed out. But I am just stupid happy to own this Westy, although I'm in the process of engine transplant. I found a 94 Legacy with 133K on Craigs list, and with the help of my younger brother, it awaits me in Pittsburgh. I have dropped the 2.0, but I'm waiting on the instructions from KEG so I know what to keep, and what I can sell.

My experience level prior to this as a mechanic was changing the oil. And I changed the brake pads on my Subaru Outback after watching Youtube videos for half a day. So I've been a VW mechanic for a month now.

It's a darned shame that I just realized I haven't downloaded the pic I want to use for my profile. I guess all things in time. So that's my story, and the only thing between me and needing to buy tires that actually hold air for the Westie is 16 hours of driving and about $1800 for the KEG kit.
OK. That's assuming that the other untested parts of the Vanagon work.
Nancy

vaughn bros. Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:14 am

heynanc wrote: Saw the conversation about parts and Western NC. I live in Charlotte, and while I visit the Monkeynut people regularly for guidance, I'm still seeking the motherlode of a salvage yard(s) with a vanagon.

You all sound like you know your way around the block. Are there any more likely yards to contact?,,,,,,,,,,,,

Welcome from Hickory. Sorry but my eyes are only trained to look for 6 volt headlites on round roofs when Im out looking for old cars. The biggest problem in NC is that most all the salvage yards are not visible from main roads. I will post pics of Vanagon yards as I see them on this thread in the future. Fast Times at Farmington #20 is Sunday the 20th. :D

vaughn bros. Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:15 am

kkjellquist wrote: I still haven't been over there to chat about some work for my bus, but does anyone know if Asheville VeeDub sells parts?

I've not heard about any activity from VeeDub in years. :D

heynanc Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Hello to Hickory VW friend (OK - there is probably a lingo violation in that sentence)

Oh yes. I'm going to the VW party over at Wellington. Can't miss that opportunity to spend more money, gawk at numerous things I want in spite of the need to get what I have running!

If I had paid attention, I'd have found a way to get my 2.0 air cooled motor there, and would have been there camping tonight. All of that time learning to read doesn't pay off if you don't actually READ the whole event notice. :shock:

So perhaps I'll run into you there tomorrow?

Nancy

kkjellquist Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:46 pm

vaughn bros. wrote: kkjellquist wrote: I still haven't been over there to chat about some work for my bus, but does anyone know if Asheville VeeDub sells parts?

I've not heard about any activity from VeeDub in years. :D

They are still out there...Tom responded to my email and one of the mechanics lives around the block from me. Met him by chance a few weeks ago.