TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 3 accessory wheel trim / beauty rings - different types
empiracer Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:57 am

Thought this would be an interesting topic, Post pics of Beauty rings that were available for the type 3, both 5 lug and 4 lug

Erik G Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:18 am

I must have deleted a bunch of pics of these individually :(

The ones in the upper right are (I believe) 64-65 1500S only. They could be earlier too, I don't know. Of course, they fit all 5 lug vw's, bug bus ghia type 3 and type34.

Erik G Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:24 am

These do not work on a 61-65 5 lug type 3. They are too deep, the offset of the correct type 3 wheels keeps these from working. They are cool, marked GHE (Happich) and they do work on a bug, bus, or Karmann Ghia.

Erik G Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:35 am

The correct ones mounted

These are the "cross lace" trim rings from the first pictures, mounted. These are oval era type1 I believe. They do work for all other 5 lugs including type 3 and type34. I have had a few sets of these over the years, and I think they are my favorite

Erik G Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:42 am

These are my newest set, I had never previously seen these "White Wall" trim rings. They are marked VW-15. I dig em

dc Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Custom spun aluminum "smoothie" rings 8)

empiracer Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Erik G you've seem to have a trim ring fetish ! :) Thanks for posting all those photos.

Anyone ever seen any trim rings for the 4 lug other then the slotted rings ?

empiracer Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:54 pm

a few i pulled from the gallery

Erik G Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:13 am

empiracer wrote: a few i pulled from the gallery

I've never seen these in person, they are sweet!

empiracer Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:39 am

A couple more pics from the gallery

empiracer Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:43 am

and some more cool Beauty rings

nos64notch Sun May 11, 2014 7:15 am

MDKG Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:58 am

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I have the opportunity to buy a set of VW1500 trim rings in the style I am looking for but I wonder if they will fit my 5 lug 1960 beetle smoothies (with clips for the hubcap)? Is the inner diameter the same as Beetle trim rings and will the hubcaps just hold them? Anyone knows? Thanks for the help!

Erik G Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:03 am

Probably - I've never seen type 3 rings that wont work on a bug, but I have seen the opposite - bug trim rings that wont fit a type 3

which ones are you thinking of?

pedro sainz Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:48 am

MDKG wrote: Sorry to dig up this old thread but I have the opportunity to buy a set of VW1500 trim rings in the style I am looking for but I wonder if they will fit my 5 lug 1960 beetle smoothies (with clips for the hubcap)? Is the inner diameter the same as Beetle trim rings and will the hubcaps just hold them? Anyone knows? Thanks for the help!

Size is the Same the problem is the offset
Sorry wont work
But would be nice to see them

MDKG Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks guys! Forgive me my ignorance but what would be the problem with the offset Pedro? I am not sure if the seller minds me posting pics of his rings so I won't but the style is very similar to this one ring I already have (looking for three more or a complete set)

empiracer Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:04 pm

I've only known that trim ring offered for type 1, never seen or heard of that style for a type 3

pedro sainz Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:51 am

MDKG wrote: Thanks guys! Forgive me my ignorance but what would be the problem with the offset Pedro? I am not sure if the seller minds me posting pics of his rings so I won't but the style is very similar to this one ring I already have (looking for three more or a complete set)

Type 1 rims are less offset than type 3 rims
Other words or way is. If you place a type 1 beauty ring on a type 3 rim would be very loose and rattle so the outher part of the beauty ring would be so far away from the rim
Type 3 beauty ring on a type 1 rim
you would Not be able to install the hubcap with out using extrem force
Even if is done a small road vibration BOTH items bye bye
Hope this help :)

MDKG Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:33 am

That sure helps pedro sainz! Thanks for the very clear explanation. Too bad it seems they will not fit :( .

The rings I got offered are a slightly different style then ring I have (in the above pic) from what I can tell from the pictures the seller send to me. The slots seem to be a bit smaller and more square, if that makes sense. The package/poly bag they are in says "VOLKSWAGEN 1500 No 752". The asking price is not really a try-me price and the seller is in Australia and I am in The Netherlands so I am really in doubt now whether I should take the risk and buy them... #-o

Edit: I think their very similar, probably a copy, to the ones on the bothem left in this 1964 type 3 accessories brochure

So these won't fit 5 lug type 1 rims?