TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: my great carburated adventure!
vwkombi1966 Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:43 pm

ok, ok, ok, so i have beat my head aginst a wall with fuel injection long enough. after veryifing MAP sensor, injectors, and every other component that i could, i got tired of the mis-firing lack of power, and constantly changing F\I issues! i finally came to the conclusion that the F\I wiring harness was likely over stressed\twisted\kinked when the previous owner dropped the engine, or something like that. either way, i don't have time\money to make\buy a new wiring harness SOOOO i made the descision to go carburated, and my engine purrs like a kitten! no more back firing, total lack of power, and general "talking back" from my engine bay! here's what i got so far:

i have placed this "flapper box" on order i hope to clean it up and install it:

and i know that it is supposed to go here (connected to a rubber boot and the rear apron):

and i have the old rubber boot from my F\I air breather:

will this rubber boot work with the carb air snout that comes off the apron? will the "carb flapper box" fit my rear apron since this car was originally Fuel Injected? also, on the BOTTOM of the carb air breather flapper box is this hole for (what i assume) is a preheat tube:

i am curious as to know WHERE THE &%^$ the OTHER END of the preheat tube is supposed to go! is there a piece of engine tin that i need? i ask since all my engine tin is from a FUEL INJECTED ENGINE, and i live in Washington State, and it can get cold up here. since this is my daily, i would like to take advantage of every option to stay warm\defrost\preheat that i can!

vlad01 Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:49 pm

I have no idea for that one, but all mine have a pre heat duct the same size as the main intake duct and it go to the rear right of the engine pulling hot air from under the head or cylinder?

vlad01 Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:57 pm

here I found a gimps of what is there

and here is my long gone SB, you can see the full sized pre heat duct just under the cold intake.

vwkombi1966 Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:45 pm

vlad01 wrote: I have no idea for that one, but all mine have a pre heat duct the same size as the main intake duct and it go to the rear right of the engine pulling hot air from under the head or cylinder?

that would make sense to me. i remember that it seems to work that way when i was trying to make the preheat system work on my old 63 ghia, but that was so long ago, i can barely remember. that's why i am wondering if there is a piece of engine tin that i am missing. like one with a snout that pulls hot air directly off the cylinder or something....

vlad01 Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:11 pm

I don't recall that part as being part of the tinware. I remember it was a discrete piece of ducting that attached somehow under the head

Nate M. Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Soooooo. . .

Dave stops by the other morning and I ask him how "Tweetie" is running now that it's carbed. . .

He replies, "It's running great, but you know, I need more power!!"

All I could do was laugh. I'M FINALLY TURNING HIM TO THE DARK SIDE!!! :twisted: :lol:

Once I able to take him for a spin in the Squarsche, I predict my work here will be done. :twisted: He'll be yardin' out that 1600 and slapping a potent type-4 simply because it's the right thing to do. :wink:

One more down, thousands more to go.

vlad01 Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Nate M. wrote: Soooooo. . .

Dave stops by the other morning and I ask him how "Tweetie" is running now that it's carbed. . .

He replies, "It's running great, but you know, I need more power!!"

All I could do was laugh. I'M FINALLY TURNING HIM TO THE DARK SIDE!!! :twisted: :lol:

Once I able to take him for a spin in the Squarsche, I predict my work here will be done. :twisted: He'll be yardin' out that 1600 and slapping a potent type-4 simply because it's the right thing to do. :wink:

One more down, thousands more to go.

haha best saying ever. :lol: 8)

Slow 1200 Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:36 am

I've seen two versions of the preheat tube, on one the corrugated hose goes to a metal tube that gets air down by the sled-tins, on the other one (that's my own car) the corrugated hose is way longer and actually attaches to an outlet in the right heat exchanger (I guess that's not going to be an option in your car)

vlad01 Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:19 am

should add a 3rd version like on my type 3s (as in pic^)

All solid metal duct all the way with one clamped join in the middle.

ddare Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:38 am

I have nothing constructive to add to this thread, being that I've never done the swap myself, but if I don't get the FI to play nice with the 1776 in my Squareback I may be going the same route. If it must be done, I really like the look of the stock carburetors/air cleaner. My '72 had Weber ICTs and the cheezy rubber air filters were always popping off.

ataraxia Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:46 am

Slow 1200 wrote: I've seen two versions of the preheat tube, on one the corrugated hose goes to a metal tube that gets air down by the sled-tins, on the other one (that's my own car) the corrugated hose is way longer and actually attaches to an outlet in the right heat exchanger (I guess that's not going to be an option in your car)

The early version was to take the heat off of the right hand heat exchanger-VW changed this with Chassis No. 0 032 545-when they added the adapter (PN 311 129 511) to take the heat from the right rear cylinder.

If you decide to go with the adapter...good luck finding one.

vwkombi1966 Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:41 am

ddare wrote: I have nothing constructive to add to this thread, being that I've never done the swap myself, but if I don't get the FI to play nice with the 1776 in my Squareback I may be going the same route. If it must be done, I really like the look of the stock carburetors/air cleaner. My '72 had Weber ICTs and the cheezy rubber air filters were always popping off.

it's not incredibly hard to go "retro" with this system. and i have found that even though a fully functional F\I system is far superrior in functionality, power, and gas milage, i have discovered that the SIMPLICITY of stock dual carbs translates to peace of mind. the STOCK F\I systems are getting old, parts are getting more scarce, and you can get in over your head quick. that's why i decided to simply junk my F\I system.

Slow 1200 Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:25 am

ataraxia wrote: Slow 1200 wrote: I've seen two versions of the preheat tube, on one the corrugated hose goes to a metal tube that gets air down by the sled-tins, on the other one (that's my own car) the corrugated hose is way longer and actually attaches to an outlet in the right heat exchanger (I guess that's not going to be an option in your car)

The early version was to take the heat off of the right hand heat exchanger-VW changed this with Chassis No. 0 032 545-when they added the adapter (PN 311 129 511) to take the heat from the right rear cylinder.

actually in later years they went back to the hot air from the heat exchanger system in non-US markets with carbed engines, my car is a 71 so quite far from chassis #32545 :lol:

ataraxia Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:51 am

Slow 1200 wrote: ataraxia wrote: Slow 1200 wrote: I've seen two versions of the preheat tube, on one the corrugated hose goes to a metal tube that gets air down by the sled-tins, on the other one (that's my own car) the corrugated hose is way longer and actually attaches to an outlet in the right heat exchanger (I guess that's not going to be an option in your car)

actually in later years they went back to the hot air from the heat exchanger system in non-US markets with carbed engines, my car is a 71 so quite far from chassis #32545 :lol:

The heat exchanger idea is a better one, IMO, because it involves a simpler design although I think they wanted a closer source.

I don't know much about the later cars-I tend to stick to 65 and earlier models. :wink:

vwkombi1966 Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:55 pm

i am looking for a simple and economic solution for preheating my engine. i MIGHT be able to lay my hands on a "stove pipe". might have to talk to a buddy (ahem... Nate) about it. i think that even though taking heat directly from the heater box would be a good idea, i am not sure how THAT set up works, and i don't have an older set of heater boxes anyways. so, i think i'll start with trying to find a stove pipe, and go from there...

W1K1 Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:18 pm

The little curved tube next to the oil filler tube is what came on my 65.

it attaches to the bottom head stud under the #2 exhaust

Bobnotch Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:17 pm

vwkombi1966 wrote: i am looking for a simple and economic solution for preheating my engine. i MIGHT be able to lay my hands on a "stove pipe". might have to talk to a buddy (ahem... Nate) about it. i think that even though taking heat directly from the heater box would be a good idea, i am not sure how THAT set up works, and i don't have an older set of heater boxes anyways. so, i think i'll start with trying to find a stove pipe, and go from there...

It depends on how cool you plan on driving it. If it's only down to freezing, you could probably live without it, and modify 2 FI metal duct shells, to make a long straight thru duct piece (I've been using that set up for 9 years now), and duct only cool outside air to the carbs. You can still use the commonly found boot that you have with it too.
With the chokes set right, you shouldn't have any issues. If they're not, it'll only take a few minutes of warm up for them to be good to go. Mine are set wide open, and I've run the engine (doing a cold start up) at 20*F. :shock: It took about a 2 minutes or so before they settled into a comfortable idle. 8) Keep in mind that you can always upsize the vents and re-jet the carbs to whatever engine size you want. 8) There are guys on here running Solex 32's on 1776's, 1835's, 1915's and I think a 2110. Granted they're all t-3 based cases. I can't say what the T-4 cased guys are using for carbs. :wink: