TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: If you could reproduce Type 3 parts? Page: 1, 2  Next
flyinglow94 Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:47 pm

If you could reproduce parts for all the type 3's what would it be and why? Emblems, Rubber, Interior pieces/knobs, Body parts,what? Or pieces that other countries used? Is it needed or wanted?

I'm always thinking of things to make for my type 3. Some things are out of my realm and specific skills as I work with a lot of different alloys and not plastic. But I am always pricing even the plastic and rubber parts out when I talk with the venders at the SEMA show out here in Las Vegas.

rays-64 Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Early doors and notchback rear fenders. Squareback and fastbacks you can always find rear fenders. Oh yea, inner scrapper wire. Been looking for 2 months and no luck.

danielzink Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Aluminum sill plates ?

Bobnotch Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Rear tail light housing to body seals, that don't start cracking in 6 months. :shock: Front turn signal housing to body seals (same reason). Rear reflector seals (again see 1st reason). Wing window seals that are shaped correctly. Same applies to the glass run channel. The rear rubber seal across the rear of a factory sunroof, as most are beetle sized and not long enough (the one that attaches to the metal sliding roof section). Dimpled style window handle knobs (pre-66) that will attach to the existing handles (please include the correct sized screw). These are a couple of items I'd like to find/see made.

flyinglow94 Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Bobnotch wrote: Rear tail light housing to body seals, that don't start cracking in 6 months. :shock: Front turn signal housing to body seals (same reason). Rear reflector seals (again see 1st reason). Wing window seals that are shaped correctly. Same applies to the glass run channel. The rear rubber seal across the rear of a factory sunroof, as most are beetle sized and not long enough (the one that attaches to the metal sliding roof section). Dimpled style window handle knobs (pre-66) that will attach to the existing handles (please include the correct sized screw). These are a couple of items I'd like to find/see made.

The rubber is something I have wanted to get done. I had spoken with a company called Steel and they said they could make one or several pieces and if I commissioned it the dies would be mine. I would also like to see the rear license light rubber made for the Notch and Fasbacks.

I agree the early window winder knobs with the dimple need to be made including the 66 and 67. I think they should be made from an aluminum and coated to resemble the correct color. I have a lot of these handles that need knobs.

Bobnotch Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:42 pm

flyinglow94 wrote: Bobnotch wrote: Rear tail light housing to body seals, that don't start cracking in 6 months. :shock: Front turn signal housing to body seals (same reason). Rear reflector seals (again see 1st reason). Wing window seals that are shaped correctly. Same applies to the glass run channel. The rear rubber seal across the rear of a factory sunroof, as most are beetle sized and not long enough (the one that attaches to the metal sliding roof section). Dimpled style window handle knobs (pre-66) that will attach to the existing handles (please include the correct sized screw). These are a couple of items I'd like to find/see made.

The rubber is something I have wanted to get done. I had spoken with a company called Steel and they said they could make one or several pieces and if I commissioned it the dies would be mine. I would also like to see the rear license light rubber made for the Notch and Fasbacks.

I agree the early window winder knobs with the dimple need to be made including the 66 and 67. I think they should be made from an aluminum and coated to resemble the correct color. I have a lot of these handles that need knobs.

I believe the license light seal is re-poped by WCM. I got one for my 71 Notch a few years ago. Those don't seam to crack If you install them correctly.

If Steel Products would make the other seals, We'd be in good shape. It's mainly the tail light seal, as those are just pure junk. :shock:

Yes, I was thinking aluminum, painted/powder coated to your color. And yes, I've got quite a few handles that need knobs too, which is why I mentioned them. :wink: Maybe Phillip could do a CNC program for his class to help us out on them. 8)

vlad01 Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:03 pm

correct RHD late model exterior mirrors and the interior mirror.

Front beam rubber collars.

Rear spring plate and inner trailing arm rubber bushes in higher duro rated rubber "sports bushes"

Mud flaps.

accurate rosette seat vinyl.

Fuel tanks

body panels- 100% spot on

plus tons of remakes of the current repro parts available.

vlad01 Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:05 pm

^ front control arms as well

rustyovali Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Window rubbers for the early fat trim cars

rustyovali Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:50 pm

And sills/rockers that fit

Tram Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 pm

rustyovali wrote: Window rubbers for the early fat trim cars

YES

bobnorman Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Early square hatch latch, as in:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1530097

bobnorman Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Oh, and an E, like this...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1312571

But that's just on my wish list, pretty small market :)

ataraxia Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Early heater channels (65 and earlier).
Rubber pieces that last as long as original.
Color correct fender beading.
Early door panels.
Rubber floor mats (OE early).
Back of the rear seat piece.
Door/hatch/trunk seals that fit AND last.

Mark Shutt Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:54 am

definitely rubber pieces that don't crack after 6months! I bought new tail light seals, front turn signal seals and reflector seals for my project and they have all cracked and had to be modified to fit, what a joke, how hard can it be to make a quality product that fits and lasts? thoe Germans must have been very smart people to make such good quality parts 50 years ago and many still serviceable now!!!

how about more repair panels like rear air-boxes and inner wheel arches and floor pans that don't cost £700 a pair!!

Dlglobal1 Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:51 am

Front Beam with all its guts.

ronbug73 Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:47 am

rubber bushing front rear :cry:

Mike Fisher Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:34 am

early drain hoses covers & radio mounts

Gizmobob Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:04 pm

1: Warp-Around Dash with proper speaker holes
2: Rubber Floor Mats (OEM Molded)
3: Early Grey Rubber Brake Boot
4: Front Trunk Cardboard Liner
5: Proper Mo-hair Seat Padding
6: Bolt-On Pan (No Welding)
7: Good Quality Rubber (All Pieces)
8: Pedro Roof Racks =)
9: Bolt-On Convertible Top
10: Electric Motor

Tram Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Gizmobob wrote: 1: Warp-Around Dash with proper speaker holes
2: Rubber Floor Mats (OEM Molded)
3: Early Grey Rubber Brake Boot
4: Front Trunk Cardboard Liner
5: Proper Mo-hair Seat Padding
6: Bolt-On Pan (No Welding)
7: Good Quality Rubber (All Pieces)
8: Pedro Roof Racks =)
9: Bolt-On Convertible Top
10: Electric Motor

I'd like to see some salt and pepper seat covers reproduced!!!

I've heard someone *might* be working on that... :D :lol: :wink: