TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New Guy Here! I need help. Page: 1, 2  Next
CcJ23 Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi everybody, I'm brand new to the site, so hopefully I'm in the right place. A little background about me: I'm a high school student who is making a street legal buggy for my engineering class. The key to take from that is high school which translates to low budget. I've already bought a frame, and 2 1600 dp engines from early 70's bugs. I know one is from 73 and the other is from right around there, not exactly sure. Anyways, my goal is to strip them both to the bare blocks and build one complete running engine out of the two. Here's the kicker: it has to operate on propane when I'm finished. My goals are to first get it running smoothly on gasoline, but I also want to build the engine up a little bit for some performance, and my mentor suggested that I prep this thing for a future turbo. I understand there are kits all over the internet for this, but I don't know what's what, or where the best places to order from are, I need to know where to start. I literally have two engines that have had nothing done to them for years. Please help me out. What do I start to tear apart first, what should I buy, and what parts should I look into for the propane, turbo, and engine modifications. I appreciate any advice you have!

JabaDubRider Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:08 am

Why Propane?? Is this part of your assignment? Here is a good write up of a guy that converted his VW bus to Liquid Propane.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-transportatio...z2ivLsWZqE

CcJ23 Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:42 am

Yeah, it has to operate on alternate fuel. I was between LPG & CNG but the closest filling station for natural gas is an hour away.

vwracin2win Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:37 am

From what I have researched...
Turbo+stock engine=grenade

JabaDubRider Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:06 am

vwracin2win wrote: From what I have researched...
Turbo+stock engine=grenade

X2

Concentrate on the alternative fuel aspect forget about the turbo especially cause your on a budget!

CcJ23 Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Well I was going to build it for propane first, but I wanted to build it for if I ever wanted to add a turbo (ie: bigger carberauter, etc). The turbo is more if just a dream, but I'd like to keep my options open.

dustymojave Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:51 pm

I agree with the guys above. Unless you have some wealthy guy to donate a complete engine setup with a turbo and the gearbox to handle the added horsepower...ditch the idea.

Why is it that so many people start everything off with a desire for superchargers and NOs and MORE POWER!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: ?

C'mon, it's a high school shop project...Get real...Just stick with a stock VW modified for LPG...

IF you want top add supercharging or laughing gas later, you had better be building the engine for it from the crank up. Expect to spend thousands on the engine before counting in the turbo setup.

Learn to rebuild a stock engine 1st. Learn to swim before you set out across the ocean.

Vanapplebomb Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:54 pm

I definitely agree with Richard, and the others. You are best off keeping it simple.

That being said, this sounds like an awesome project! I am very interested to see what you come up with :D

CcJ23 Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Alright that's pretty fair. The turbo was suggested to me from a guy who built a homemade VW TDI powered car that gets ~85 mpg. It's one of the coolest cars I've ever seen, and certainly some cool engineering behind it. I won't post any pictures of the car here, but it is around on the web, and on other forums.
Anyways, I appreciate the opinions. He just kind if told me to dream big. What do you suggest in terms of making this motor more powerful? I realize I have to buy a lot of new parts, and the price to go for a 2200 compared to an 1800 doesn't seem that much different. What parts should I look into getting? I was thinking of boring it out to fit a 90x94mm crank. I don't know which different rods I'd have to get or anything though. Please let me know what you think.

Vanapplebomb Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:01 am

The prices for the motor...yeah, it may not be that huge of a difference. Just keep in mind that the rest of the driveline needs similar treatment. That is where prices add up. Running a 2200cc in a VW is like putting a 1200HP engine in a pick up truck. Unless you make major changes to the driveline, chassis, suspension, etc... you are going to tear stuff up big time. All those modifications to handle the power cost $$$.

Again, keep it simple and you will enjoy the results. You don't need massive power to have fun. Ask the last person who strapped a jet pack to their roller blades. I'm sure they would agree :wink:

I'm not trying to poop on your plans. In fact, I am really excited about this project. I love to see people attempt something a little out of the ordinary, dive into it, and see what the outcome is. Experimenting has always been one of my favorite things. I really think this experiment will be a lot of fun for you. I know it would be for me if I were doing it. Heck, how many people can say that they did a propane conversion on an ACVW?!? That my friend is something to be proud of...no matter what kind of power it makes.

Hey! I got it! Put it to use as an industrial engine. You could retrofit or even create a line of forklifts that run on propane fueled ACVW engines for use inside warehouses and what not. A forklift powered by a VW engine counts as an off road vehicle, right?

Sorry, I may be enjoying this a bit to much.

:lol:

Seriously though...makes me want to try it.

CcJ23 Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:23 am

I'm glad somebody else is excited about this besides myself! The chassis would hold the mods, but I already know I need different suspension, no matter what I do. The rear springs are really front springs but somebody just threw them on. Anybody know of some good shocks for a rail? The thing that did worry me about building up the motor was the tranny. I don't know what a stock transaxle can hold up to.

Axitech Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 am

I'm excited to watch this thread. I was all about vw's in High School a few decades ago, and it'll be fun watching you go about it. At least you're doing it now, when ACVW's are COOL. Back then, girls wouldn't even talk to a guy in a Bug! Well, that is until they figured out I had some primo bud! hahahaha I jest! Or, do I?

ORANGECRUSHer Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:23 pm

It's hard to tell from your pics but it doesn't look like it has the VW torsion rear end which might limit your suspension options.

I'm surprised the teacher is pushing propane power unless it's just to see if you can do it. Propane really doesn't have any practical application here since it costs relatively close to gas. I have a 1980 Itasca motorhome which came from the factory with a hybrid gas/propane fueling system installed. I decided to scrap it all since it really would save me any $ to run it. I left the big "propane powered" sticker on the back just for conversation sake. I believe it has cleaning properties too which are nice but really propane hasn't been a cheap alternative in a while.

taildrager Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:00 pm

One of the problems you are going to have to over come is the vaporizer . In a water cooled engine coolant is run through the vaporizer you won't have that option on ACVW . If you have any questions about LP i may be able to help you

CcJ23 Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Firstly, it does have the VW rear end . I probably should have taken a picture of that. Secondly, my teacher doesn't care what I do, I just have to make it run on an alternative fuel, and I figured propane would be the easiest. If natural gas was more available to me, I'd probably do that. My project is definitely the most indepth in my class, but it's something I want to do, and that I will use, unlike some if my peers.

ORANGECRUSHer Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:15 am

what's the time frame you're looking at to finish this?
If there's one constant in the Vw world it's that projects end up taking twice as long as intended and usually cost twice as much. But I don't think that law applies to young guys like you. :)
can't wait to see what you come up with

Bashr52 Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:49 am

CcJ23 wrote: Anyways, I appreciate the opinions. He just kind if told me to dream big. What do you suggest in terms of making this motor more powerful? I realize I have to buy a lot of new parts, and the price to go for a 2200 compared to an 1800 doesn't seem that much different. What parts should I look into getting? I was thinking of boring it out to fit a 90x94mm crank. I don't know which different rods I'd have to get or anything though. Please let me know what you think.

There is big work involved to make an engine of the size you are thinking. A 90 stroke crank in a stock case is nearly impossible to do,its not a straight drop in deal. I would suggest what others have said,. If you have never opened one of these things up and worked on modifying the internals, stick with a near stock engine, (perhaps upgraded cam or a smaller strok crank like a 74). How are engine temps on a propane engine vs gas? I'd be worried the heads can hold up to it for long without some major (i.e. $$$$) mods.

CcJ23 Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:53 pm

Alright. That's very helpful. I'm on a timeline that puts me right around early March maybe mid March for completion. Lots to do!

CcJ23 Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Started to year the first engine apart today. I'll tell you, the hardest part was getting the bolts under the air intake manifold off, with only a 13mm socket, not a wrench. I got it off though! I go it down to pretty much the block. I took the jugs off aswell. I think they should get replaced. Any place to get them? I'm going to try to split it next. Any suggestions?

CcJ23 Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:17 am

Here's some pictures of my progress. The first ones shows what I've got it down to, the next ones are of the jugs, and the last one is of the rear end. Just to show orangecrusher how it's assembled. Tell me what you think!