TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Automatic transmission with carburetors?
robotrophic Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Can I run carbs in my squareback and keep the automatic transmission? I seem to remember lots of back and forth between the automatic transmission and the fuel injection.

ataraxia Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:20 pm

robotrophic wrote: Can I run carbs in my squareback and keep the automatic transmission? I seem to remember lots of back and forth between the automatic transmission and the fuel injection.

Yep. But you're going to need one of these (along with a few other parts to make it work):

This one is NOS but missing a few pieces.

These are complete from what I can tell by the photos.

And they're not *usually* easy to find. I say that because until this year, I hadn't seen one in years but this year, I've had four and seen two more.

One just sold on eBay three days ago for about $50.

Search the forum and you'll find a few threads about it.

Bobnotch Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:39 pm

robotrophic wrote: Can I run carbs in my squareback and keep the automatic transmission?

Yes. But you'll need the part ataraxia showed, plus you'll have to adjust the vacuum modulator for your carbs (it's set up for an FI vac signal). Make sure you "T" into the balance tube for a vacuum signal.

rebel1968 Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:55 pm

What happens with the return line to the tank.
Fuel injection tanks are different?

krusher Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:48 am

rebel1968 wrote: What happens with the return line to the tank.
Fuel injection tanks are different?

Plug it up, you no longer need it with carbs.

jgordon Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 am

robotrophic wrote: Can I run carbs in my squareback and keep the automatic transmission? I seem to remember lots of back and forth between the automatic transmission and the fuel injection.

yes you can keep your auto and have carbs, here is mine

but if you got yourself an original type 3 motor, i also have a not needed type 3 swivel linkage complete, hit me up if you need the parts. but the guys here are much more knowledgeable that me on the how to install and make work :)

thanks
James

rebel1968 Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:39 am

My 69 fasty came with auto and carbs stock from dealer (VW1600 TL)

robotrophic Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:36 am

ataraxia wrote: Yep. But you're going to need one of these (along with a few other parts to make it work):

This one is NOS but missing a few pieces.

These are complete from what I can tell by the photos.

Do early and late models use a different pivot? The pivots shown here look like they connect to the throttle cable like the clutch cable on my type 1, but there is a pivot on the samba now that looks like it connects with a barrel clamp like the throttle cable on my bug.

Bobnotch Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:25 am

Yes, the early ones thru I think 65 used a link to connect the cable to the link. But, since you're after an AT version of the pivot, it'll have the cable go directly to the pivot, as it needs to work the kick down switch (which is mounted to the pivot assembly like ataraxia posted above). You can see the location of where the barrel clamp will go in the rear of the part (as shown).

ataraxia Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:18 am

Bobnotch wrote: Yes, the early ones thru I think 65 used a link to connect the cable to the link. But, since you're after an AT version of the pivot, it'll have the cable go directly to the pivot, as it needs to work the kick down switch (which is mounted to the pivot assembly like ataraxia posted above). You can see the location of where the barrel clamp will go in the rear of the part (as shown).

I concur. The ball top changed to a barrel clamp mid-1965.

Bobnotch Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:23 pm

ataraxia wrote: Bobnotch wrote: Yes, the early ones thru I think 65 used a link to connect the cable to the link. But, since you're after an AT version of the pivot, it'll have the cable go directly to the pivot, as it needs to work the kick down switch (which is mounted to the pivot assembly like ataraxia posted above). You can see the location of where the barrel clamp will go in the rear of the part (as shown).

Ok, I didn't know exactly when the change happened. Thanks. But yeah, my 64 T-34's dual carb pivot assembly used a link to connect the cable to it. My 65 Notch, has the cable and barrel clamp set up right on the pivot assembly, as does the AT pivot assembly I have in my stash (came off my wife's car when I put the FI back on her car). I do know that 66 and 67 used a longer cable, that was all by itself. But it's possible that it's actually mid 65 thru 67 that used the longer cable. In Europe, the UK, along with ZA, and Aus, you could get carbs until the end of production, they probably used the longer cable too.

ataraxia Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Bobnotch wrote: ataraxia wrote: Bobnotch wrote: Yes, the early ones thru I think 65 used a link to connect the cable to the link. But, since you're after an AT version of the pivot, it'll have the cable go directly to the pivot, as it needs to work the kick down switch (which is mounted to the pivot assembly like ataraxia posted above). You can see the location of where the barrel clamp will go in the rear of the part (as shown).

Ok, I didn't know exactly when the change happened. Thanks. But yeah, my 64 T-34's dual carb pivot assembly used a link to connect the cable to it. My 65 Notch, has the cable and barrel clamp set up right on the pivot assembly, as does the AT pivot assembly I have in my stash (came off my wife's car when I put the FI back on her car). I do know that 66 and 67 used a longer cable, that was all by itself. But it's possible that it's actually mid 65 thru 67 that used the longer cable. In Europe, the UK, along with ZA, and Aus, you could get carbs until the end of production, they probably used the longer cable too.

There's technically a '65 only' cable but the '555' will work fine for 65 and earlier cars with the extra linkage piece. The extra linkage piece has two unique parts but the ball and socket part are the same as the small linkage piece on the carburetor with one end replaced by 311 129 929.

Accelerator cables (from my parts book):

311 721 555 Cable-Accelerator (length 2525mm) to Ch. No. 315 048 101
311 721 555C Cable-Accelerator (length 2510mm) from Ch. No. 315 048 102 to 315 220 883

311 721 555G Cable-Accelerator (length 2670mm) from Ch. No. 316 000 001 & from Ch. No. 318 015 226

Muthashabubu Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:22 am

Here is mine as bought in January:

I hope to at least switch to stock dual-carbs next year. Need to rebuild some and mount.
FI would be ideal but I am not sure what wires have been hacked/removed.

marchi Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:30 am

Flamer has had auto and carbs since '69, like was said you need complete carbs and linkage, plug the extra hole in gas tank
- make sure its the return line, gentleman here plugged pressure line and used return line, worked great til 1/4 tank then lost gas-
carb manifolds should have a port for vacumme if not make one to plug into trans, lastly fuel pump either another electric with regulator or a mechanical on engine(depends on block)

dragsters for life Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:16 pm

my 71 notch is auto woth carbs from factory

Brandoff123 Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:58 pm

so I have the EMPI EPC34 dual carb setup on my automatic square, i currently have a mechanical advance dist. but am looking to switch to vaccum advance because the one i have is not working so well. can i run straight off the sync tube or do i need new vaccum ports?

Slow 1200 Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:29 am

you need ported vacuum from the carbs, NOT manifold vacuum