TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Panel bus
58Sleeper Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Hello,

I recently purchased a Panel bus and it has circular windows cut into sides of the panel. I want to remove them but I'm trying to figure out if I cut them out, which MIG welding technique is better to patch them? Butting the new sheet metal in or creating a supporting lip to weld? Because the panel is so big, I'm worried about distortion.

What is your opinion?

543fold Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Well, if I could find someone to TIG the panels in that would be the way to go....soft welds that can be worked without cracking.
If MIG is your only option, I would butt weld them in. Reason being, you can stretch the metal back out and get it pretty straight. Just remember Mig welds are harder and more prone to cracking when you hammer and dolly on it too much.
I think if you were to put a step in the replacement panel, it might be less prone to distorting , but a lot harder to work out if it does.

58Sleeper Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Ok, thank you for the advice 543fold.. I do have original sections I and weld in. Maybe a few spots and then focus on welding the crossbows first. I'm not scared of a little filler if I can keep it light.

volksaddict Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:55 am

Easy to fix but easy to really mess up too. Carefull butt weld patch fitment, go slow welding, avoid distortion. Your holes are pretty small -probably wouldn't cost much to get a pro body guy to weld 'em in if you are unsure. Better safe than sorry.
And lots of us have welded up those window holes in panel busses...