TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Who has best fitting carpet kits?
bluebullseye Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:48 am

What company has the best fitting carpet kits for the Square? I'm looking at JBugs but know I've seen others. I can't break the bank on the carpet as there's a lot to put out for the body, just want to get the interior looking a bit better.

Same goes for seat upholstery, best fitting to cost...

Thanks!

Woreign Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:31 am

You have 3 options for carpeting:

- TMI
- Sewfine
- Local upholstery shop

JBugs happens to be a TMI dealer.

From what I've read, Sewfine is better quality than TMI. But overall, you'll get the best results from a local shop.

Bobnotch Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:12 am

bluebullseye wrote: What company has the best fitting carpet kits for the Square? I'm looking at JBugs but know I've seen others. I can't break the bank on the carpet as there's a lot to put out for the body, just want to get the interior looking a bit better.

Same goes for seat upholstery, best fitting to cost...

Thanks!

I've installed TMI carpet from J-Bugs in several cars, and have had good results with it, for what it is. If you take your time, you can get it to look pretty decent. But, I also used their "low end" black carpet kit in those cars.
The key is ordering the correct carpet kit for your car, as they do make several styles for the different years. You actually have to talk to a human on the phone, to get the right stuff. This also applies to their seat covers, as they make several different styles, and the "cut off" years in their catalog are wrong. :evil: So look over what you have, then look at their listings, and figure out what you need. If you keep that in mind, you can get good fitting stuff from them.

Sew Fine's carpet seems a bit thicker, but you're also paying quite a bit more for it. I used their kit in my T-34, and found it was short in a couple of places, and it was set up for different chassis years (1 style fits all). It's still a nice kit, but I'd like to see some corrections made to it. The seats came out like I asked (I talked to Carol on the phone, and told her what I wanted), and they did send me the extra vinyl that wasn't used. :D So they do kind of work with you on stuff, but it was also kind of a "generic T-34 kit" (not custom fitted).

A local upholstery place would give you a great fitting set up, but you're going to pay extra for that to happen (it'll be custom fiitted to your car). Some places want you to drop off the car for a week or more, while they fit everything. Not a problem IF you're not using the car, but IF you are, then you're SOL.