TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Squareback rear hatch alignment.
chaosisme Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:36 pm

I tried searching but could only find topics for buses, which werent helpful anyway, and my manual didn't really help either.

My question is, is it possible to alter left/right rear hatch alignment? It closes too close to the right and already chewed up my new hatch seal.

Mike Fisher Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:40 pm

Check your hinge pins to see if they might be oval-ed out. BTDT

chaosisme Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:13 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: Check your hinge pins to see if they might be oval-ed out. BYDT

The pins in the hatch hinge? One is ovaled on the side with the large gap. It causes my hatch to spring open and makes it really hard to close. I use a piece of wooden dowel to keep the hatch from opening fully. Is that whats causing my misalignment?

Tram Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:21 pm

chaosisme wrote: Mike Fisher wrote: Check your hinge pins to see if they might be oval-ed out. BYDT

The pins in the hatch hinge? One is ovaled on the side with the large gap. It causes my hatch to spring open and makes it really hard to close. I use a piece of wooden dowel to keep the hatch from opening fully. Is that whats causing my misalignment?

Yup. Once those holes oval out the hinges start bending due to the excess pressure needed to close the hatch when it gets stuck up. Replace the link of the hinge with the defect and then you'll need to bend the hinges a bit with a big channel lock.

You may also try moving your lower catch striker slightly to the left to see if that helps, but I'll bet it's a combo of ovaled out pin and bent hinges.