TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: No one from the Samba, I hope
KTPhil Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:05 pm

I think this was on the news Monday of this week, reported on the website of a local TV station. Location was Goleta, north of Santa Barbara.
Sad, regardless of who it was. At least they got out okay.

When is the last time you changed your FI hoses? What hose did you use?

MOCHABILL Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:02 pm

:( Fuel injected or carbs :?:

don't_bug_me Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:13 pm

Glad no one was hurt, but I just don't get it, today, no reason for this, maybe everyone should do away with fuel pumps in the engine bay area, mount an electrical pump up near the tank, safety wire the hose on, wire up a fuel shutoff both on the dash and a fail safe shutoff, I mean...other cars don't burst into flames with hot engines and 40psi fuel injection...WTF
It can't be rocket science, I'd hate to hear about a family...a child ...or anyone burn up because of this, what do we need, emergency extinguishers like airline engines have?????? :x ....... :cry:

vlad01 Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:17 pm

yeah I know.

its not hard. Just use the correct quality hose and efi clamps. minimize joints, move pumps and filters out of the engine bay. Simple.

I agree on the fuel pump. The only major fuel leak I ever have on my type 3s was the mechanical pump, it was one of those latter sealed units which I could not fix.

don't_bug_me Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:22 pm

vlad01 wrote: yeah I know.

its not hard. Just use the correct quality hose and efi clamps. minimize joints, move pumps and filters out of the engine bay. Simple.

Thank you, it can't be hard, I only use the fuel injection style hose clamps, and wire it to the carb even if it doesn't look like the nipple will ever come out. I guess there are still uninformed or non-believers yet.

Tram Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:28 pm

If it was a carb setup, I'm wondering if there was a plastic fuel filter right by the distributor.

Masor Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Wow... The previous owner of my squareback lived in Goleta and his Square caught on fire as well. Looks like the same color my square used to be... That was back in 2005. Interesting how history repeats itself!

Sqrbckguy38 Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:15 am

I've seen this several times over, and its so sad. most of the time the pump or a joint just happens to fill that engine area with vapors and the disty's tend to be the ignition. It happen to my fasty while we were tunning the old carbs and luckily had the extinguisher at hand. Thats why i went to the efi.

joey1320 Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:37 pm

There are also issues with the nipples on the carbs coming off. I have seen a few people who would tie 'em up to secure them better.