TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Does your girlfriend/wife, share your interest in AC VW's Page: 1, 2  Next
don't_bug_me Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Reading another topic about washing car parts in the sink made me think about this, thought it might be fun.

Does your girlfriend/wife, share your passion for "aircooled" VW's?
Not polling more modern vw's.

don't_bug_me Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:51 pm

My wife could care less, She was raised on muscle cars, and her dream car is a V-10 Viper. Can't fault her for that!! 8)

gt1953 Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:38 pm

My wife does like them drives them and has been the assistant from time to time also.

don't_bug_me Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:06 pm

gt1953 wrote: My wife does like them drives them and has been the assistant from time to time also.

My wife was like that years ago, helped me rebuild the motor on my 80 Z28, got greasy and everything, I'm going to have to work on her with the bug. Someone voted on the "...if caught fire" almost pee'd myself laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

bowtiebug Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:04 pm

my wife enjoys them as much as I do and is currently supervising her Baja build

ghia4mea Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:23 pm

My wife loves the way my Karmann Ghia looks, she hates the engine noise, and is not crazy about the way it rides. Most important:
She is ALWAYS afraid we will break down somewhere.
We both loved the way my old Squareback rode, but I still love my Ghia.

zozo Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:12 pm

I've had VWs for decades. My wife has never even sat in one of them, much less ride in one or drive it. She has her hobby, I have mine.

Buck Naked Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:05 pm

My wife likes them because I do. If it weren't for me she wouldn't give them a second glance. She does notice them when she is out and will sometimes snap a photo of them to show me. But still doesn't see what the kids and I find so interesting. She'd rather be driving something new than 50 years old no matter what the condition.
Shane

don't_bug_me Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Looking at the poll, I think we have a new suspect in all the bug fires :shock:

Shaun Murray Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:02 pm

I guess I'm one if the lucky ones, mine loves them as much as I do. I used to be a muscle car/hot rod nut. About 6 or 7 years ago I brought my first bus home on the car trailer(in pieces), and my wife came rushing down to the garage and said "I love it". This was coming from a woman who had never shown any interest in any of my cars in all the years we have been together. She now encourages me to buy every one I find, even parts buses.

djkeev Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Well, my wife's first car was a 1966 Karmann Ghia.
We've had Beetles, buses and Squarebacks.

As a daily driver we stopped using them decades ago and now motor daily in 21st Century transportation units.

She still likes them and we share a lot of dating/early marriage memories that happened in them. After 43 years there is a lot to remember!

We have them licensed as Antiques and use them for Summer Evening joy rides and soon the Camper Van will be our Vacation unit of choice... I Hope!

Crazy about them?
No.

But she supports my hobby and partakes in it.

FYI........ It was HER idea to get the Vanagon Camper. :)

Dave

SDD74 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:02 am

My wife is the reason we have one. She has wanted one for a long time. I always thought they were interesting but not enough to want one myself. Now having tinkered with it and enjoyed cruising in it I want my own bug

Jon Schmid Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Hard to say since I torched her Sunbug while driving it 25 years ago.

spectre6000 Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:39 pm

My wife thinks they're cute, has her favorites and her VW/Porsche wish list. She made the interior on our bus and has helped me pull engines, remove bodies from pans, she knows how to adjust valves, set timing, and all sorts of other things. She learned to drive stick on our bus. She goes to all the shows, and participates in all the club activities. She isn't as into it as I am but that would be a LOT, and I wouldn't expect her to be. Still, I'm a pretty lucky guy to have such a baddass wife!

slowvolks1969 Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:30 am

It's the opposite for me. I'm the wife who has been into vw's for 20 years. My husband is finally starting to admit he likes them & has been helping me work on them for a couple years now. :D

far rider Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:39 pm

My wife is a great sport. Tolerates all my vw stuff and goes to shows whenever, wherever. She is not crazy about riding in them as much but will occasionally ride along in the single cab. We dated in a 67 bug back in the day but it's a little harder to ride in them now. She once said if I wanted to go cross country, (had a 21 window at the time) she would come if I put Lincoln continental seats in front and a Sealy posturepedic mattress in back. :D

oldschool5er Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:54 pm

Supports me but between her and my daughter yelling at me to slow down.... It's Just no Fun. And this in just my Vintage Baja On the Street no less, she won't even step in my Class 5 I have out west. I am afraid I will never get her off road in it. I have the vintage racer in Ohio so maybe I can get her to Silverlake in it she might like that better in that soft stuff next to the lake.

don't_bug_me Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:14 am

The catch fire poll is hanging in there :lol:

drvr8 Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:47 am

My wife bought me mine for a wedding gift... She enjoys riding in it... But considering she doesn't even wash her car, I don't see her wrenching on mine. She is very supportive though!

Mike Fisher Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:31 pm

My wife likes riding in our squareback and will drive it by herself whenever. She helps me pack big parts for sale/shipment since I split the profits with her! 8)