TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: so-23 owners! emka cup holder measurments (prototype done!) Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
sled Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:43 pm

I am hoping a so-23 owner who's bus has an original acrylic Emka cup holder could take some measurements for me? Finding an original is difficult and I can make a reproduction easily. I am looking for the overall material dimensions as well as the hole sizing and spacing. The bend radius' would be appreciated as well.

RPGreg2600 Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:28 am

Just out of curiosity, do you have the cups already?

Stocknazi Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:19 pm

if you make more than 1 repo i would be interested

someone please break out your cupholders and post some measurments

bubba Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:34 pm

I will measure it up for you tomorrow at work.. :D

bubba Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Total height - 1 3/8"
A- 10 7/16"
B- 3/8"
C- 9/32"
D- 15/32"
E- 2 1/16"
G- 1/4"
F- 1/2"
H- 5 1/8"
I- 2/4"
J- 9/16"
:D

sled Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:47 pm

thanks to the couple people who responded to my inquiry. Here is my protoype, it is not perfect but with some refinement of my heating/forming method I think I can come up with a great piece. This one is still more than satisfactory to run though.

I have material to make more. Is anyone interested? Also I will be making the little wedge piece that holds the breadbox closed.

earlywesty Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:41 am

Looks great Jake. I am betting uptake will depend on the cost. If you can produce these somewhat reasonably I bet you could get rid of 20 or so reasonably. I'd buy one for a future SO23 myself.

21-window Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:03 am

Don't know if it matters to anyone, but I think the material you are using is too thin, compared to original. :?:

.127-.130

grailoc Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:50 am

Hi Sled,
put my on buying list as well as for the plastic lock.

thanks on getting that piece deproduced.

bubba Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:45 am

AWESOME!!! 8)

sled Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:16 am

21-window wrote: Don't know if it matters to anyone, but I think the material you are using is too thin, compared to original. :?:

.127-.130

I am using 1/8 inch (.125) so if 3 to 5 thousandths of an inch is too thin well...tough luck.

Stocknazi Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 am

that looks great jake

BulliBill Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:41 am

I've got one of those reproduction sets of the tumblers and the stand made a few years back, very nice. But if anyone ever makes a reproduction (or sells a real one) I'd like to score the clear plastic cover and catch for the tumblers.

It is awesome that you are making the base for those who are missing it...

Bill

DubStyle Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:15 am

sled wrote: 21-window wrote: Don't know if it matters to anyone, but I think the material you are using is too thin, compared to original. :?:

.127-.130

I am using 1/8 inch (.125) so if 3 to 5 thousandths of an inch is too thin well...tough luck.

Bwahahaha... always a critic in the bunch. It's not like you are building a structure that is life or death. I think you are doing pretty good Jake. Keep up the good work brother! Were these made in the US?

Braukuche Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:20 am

DubStyle wrote: sled wrote: 21-window wrote: Don't know if it matters to anyone, but I think the material you are using is too thin, compared to original. :?:

.127-.130

Bwahahaha... always a critic in the bunch. It's not like you are building a structure that is life or death. I think you are doing pretty good Jake. Keep up the good work brother! Were these made in the US?

Now if someone would make the cover...

vw7266 Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:02 pm

DubStyle wrote: sled wrote: 21-window wrote: Don't know if it matters to anyone, but I think the material you are using is too thin, compared to original. :?:

.127-.130

if you don't care about how thick it is why worry about where the holes are drilled.....

Same could be said about most repo parts...

bubba Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:53 pm

vw7266 wrote: DubStyle wrote: sled wrote: 21-window wrote: Don't know if it matters to anyone, but I think the material you are using is too thin, compared to original. :?:

.127-.130

if you don't care about how thick it is why worry about where the holes are drilled.....

The average sheet of 20lb copier paper is 0.0038 inches thick... so less then a sheet of copy paper? To thin????

zozo Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:00 pm

bubba wrote: vw7266 wrote: DubStyle wrote: sled wrote: 21-window wrote: Don't know if it matters to anyone, but I think the material you are using is too thin, compared to original. :?:

.127-.130

The average sheet of 20lb copier paper is 0.0038 inches thick... so less then a sheet of copy paper? To thin????

These are the people alone at functions and can't understand why.

"Well, technically speaking....yammer, yammer, yammer...buzz kill, buzz kill, buzz kill...."

vw7266 Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:11 pm

actually im just playin devils advocate.... :D

21-window Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:04 pm

sled wrote: 21-window wrote: Don't know if it matters to anyone, but I think the material you are using is too thin, compared to original. :?:

.127-.130

Just thought folks that spend 3 pages discussing the color of their so23 curtain bungees might also give a shit about the thickness if their cup holder.

Apparently I'm wrong, SORRY. :roll: