TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1955 Single Cab Resto Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
V-Dub Guy Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Well, after being a Samba member for a while and never starting a thread, I thought I would finely start one.
Here is my latest acquisition......an early post barndoor single cab. I've purchased it 6 mounts ago I'm finely getting around to starting on the resto. Purchased from Doug Denlinger in AZ. If any one knows Doug, his work, and his collection, then you know that this is a special SC. VERY compete.
Ill try to post as many pic's as I can along the way. Here are a few that I've got to date.........

Tom working his magic on the dent in the front nose. We didn't want to use filler here. Allot of work and massaging of the metal, but making sure it's done right the first time

NICE CLEAN OG BUMPERS!!!

Striping paint to bare metal

All Gates Present and in great condition.....

Rust repair started.....out with the old......In with the new. Using nothing but the best metal...Auto Craft. Contact Tom ferrier at www.eastcoastcornerstore.com for all your repair metal

Saul Koll Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Nice! What a beauty.

Looks like a great truck and your work is looking great.

I like also the uncommon bass amplifier dent removal tool.

EverettB Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Cool, looks great so far.

Is he reaching all the way into the inner nose with a dolly?
For some reason I was thinking the distance was too far and the clearance too tight to do be able to do that.
Or maybe he has a spoon in there?

V-Dub Guy Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:53 am

Thanks for the comments. We sacrificed 2 footballs, one mini soccer ball and 2 hand pumps to help push out the dent. The rest was done by heating up the metal with this tool....cooling it....and working the metal. It's was crazy watching the metal move, shift and pop out.... A real art.

tferr Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:29 am

EverettB wrote:

For some reason I was thinking the distance was too far and the clearance too tight to do be able to do that.

Hey Ev hehe I've been told by some I have long monkey arms but there is no way I can reach that far.
When the dolly was required Dave got to get inside and see just how tinny and acoustically magical these things really are. Then the small 4 inch Walmart soccer ball worked great until it exploded. Yes really LOUD
Sometimes I used the football pressure for some "off dolly" work
I put about 4 hours on the nose and probably have another 3 or 4 to go

That is the Wray Schelin amazing shrink disc it is the best tool that I have ever purchased.

Looks like I am comparing noses

earlywesty Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:34 am

EverettB wrote: Cool, looks great so far.

It's a long-handled dolly, similar to a spoon, that fits in to that tight space that you can't otherwise reach. Handy tool.

The shrink disc is where its at for working a bus nose over.

tferr Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:01 am

http://www.mcmaster.com/#spoon-dollies/=p7ujwu

V-Dub Guy Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Here are some of the OG goodies for the '55 SC build.

V-Dub Guy Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Can anyone explain what these threaded inserts are used for? One on each side. Are they for the canopy set up?

Buba Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Yes. They are for the front hoops

V-Dub Guy Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Progress.

V-Dub Guy Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:22 pm

V-Dub Guy Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:38 pm

Commercial hubcaps. Cleaning right back to metal.

CommodoreCollector Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Nice acquisition! Looking forward to see when this one is done :)

V-Dub Guy Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Original motor with some incorrect parts. Stay tuned for what's next!

V-Dub Guy Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Here's an NOS Fram filter I've had for a while. Going to add this to the express motor build. Plan is to restore. Thoughts??

EverettB Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Thoughts - Do it.

D-train Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:04 am

EverettB wrote: Thoughts - Do it.

do it express or do it restore?

V-Dub Guy Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:04 am

Should I add it to the express build. I've heard mixed feelings about running these filters. Can anyone chime in and let me know how the've made out if the've run one?
I think I'll strip this one right down and give it a new fresh look....

EverettB Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:49 am

D-train wrote: EverettB wrote: Thoughts - Do it.

do it express or do it restore?

I meant yes, add it to the build.
People have posted they are not as efficient as a real full flow system but I was thinking add it just for the look since you have one.