TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: rubber undercoating ideas
jhash Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:59 am

Got the new pans welded in body off out of the way thinking of rattle can spray undercoat complete floor any pros or con's. Sorry 72 super bug.

MMW Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:48 am

Everything should be cleaned, prepped, sealed, primed & painted before undercoating is applied. Undercoating helps deaden sound & prevent chipping from rocks, etc. It is not a rust preventative or a sealer.

panicman Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:30 am

This has been done to death. Do a search in this forum, you'll have many hours of reading and get all the opinions.

Consensus has held that undercoating eventually increases the risk of rust in most, but not all, cases. As the undercoat ages, all types will eventually allow moisture in, where it is held against the metal. The undercoating will then obscure the developing rust issue. Most restorers would rather be able to look for rust, and have a cleanable surface.

abritinthebay Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Yeah, there's nothing an undercoat will fix that a proper set of hard-wearing paint like MasterSeries won't do better.

The sound deadening effect of it can be better used with other coatings (like LizardSkin or similar).

c21darrel Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:26 pm

rattle can undercoat is not much thicker than spray paint, you will be disappointed. Get something you need to shoot with a special undercoat gun...
http://www.amazon.com/3M-08864-Schutz-Rubberized-Coating/dp/B000PEQGMM/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_z

curtis4085 Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:26 am

I put German Waxoyl on mine. Same stuff VW used. Waxy oily never hardens and flows. Only one company in uSA carries it. Rovers North I think. They sell a professional applicator which worked great. Long snake to feed into weep holes and spray inside rockers etc. and a other attachment for spraying under coat. Check there video out.

I will say applying the stuff was messy. I masked off whole topside of bus as this stuff takes couple weeks to really cure. The overspray wipes right off with little spirits.