TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need some help with thermostat Page: 1, 2  Next
aidengregory Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Ok, It will be apparent from the question that I don't know anything.

I am re-assembling the engine I just rebuilt, a 1500 (now 1600) SP, 1969. Coming to the point of installing the cooling tin, and specifically thermostat and flap installation in the cooling shroud. So far there have been no parts missing with this car, but it was a basket case. Well, I have no flaps or thermostat.
I guess the question is, what am I missing here, and where do I find it? I have looked in the classifieds and CB performance, etc and cannot find the parts.
Here is what I have:

If you could help me out, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Aiden

KevinAlbrecht Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Here are the pieces I bought from a member:

Thermostat, bracket, pushrod, flaps and connecting rod.

bugguy1967 Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Those would be from me! I have some sets if you're interested.

aidengregory Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Bug guy,
Sent you a pm

Alpha_Maverick Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:29 pm

keep in mind that, if you want to use the original air cleaner with the cable operated pre-heat, you'll need to get the special 68-69 only passenger side flap assembly. It has a linkage arm for the cable to attach to.

aidengregory Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Of course...
Is this regardless of vehicle? This is from a ghia.

Alpha_Maverick Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:43 am

That, I don't know. I have a '69 beetle, so that's what I've researched the most. Do you have the original air cleaner? If so, post a few pics of the intake snorkel, and we can probably figure out what you need.

aidengregory Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:29 am

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1132761.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1132762.jpg

Ok here's what I have for air cleaner parts.

Alpha_Maverick Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Yup. Cable operated preheat. If you want to make that work, you'll need the cable and the special thermostat-side flap assembly.

aidengregory Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Maverick,
So the flaps are only on the thermostat side of the fan housing? And between what points is the cable running? I am assuming you are talking about the lever on the air cooler assembly? Do you have any pictures of your setup, and do you know where to source these parts? Sorry for all the dumb questions, but the parts I am finding have flaps on both sides of the fan housing joined by a linkage; I am not visualizing the cable operation.
Thanks

bsairhead Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:28 pm

I don't see the under cylinder tins.

Alpha_Maverick Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:16 pm

aidengregory wrote: Maverick,
So the flaps are only on the thermostat side of the fan housing? And between what points is the cable running? I am assuming you are talking about the lever on the air cooler assembly? Do you have any pictures of your setup, and do you know where to source these parts? Sorry for all the dumb questions, but the parts I am finding have flaps on both sides of the fan housing joined by a linkage; I am not visualizing the cable operation.
Thanks

You're on the right track. The 69 used the same thermostat and flaps setup as the other years (two sets of flaps, one on each side, connected via linkage), with one exception. The passenger side flap assembly had a small lever arm that extended outside of the fan shroud, to push/pull on the cable that led to the aircleaner.

It's late for me, so I'll dig up pix later.

ach60 Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:46 pm

KevinAlbrecht wrote: Here are the pieces I bought from a member:

Thermostat, bracket, pushrod, flaps and connecting rod.

See the flap on the left(see the clip its for the thermostat), IT BELONGS ON THE RIGHT.
See the flap on the right, IT BELONGS ON THE LEFT SIDE

Put the was on top of the bar.

Bruce Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:51 pm

ach60 wrote:

Note: All of the above thermostat flaps setups are for doghouse fan shrouds/oil coolers (1971 and later)

The correct flaps for a single port engine looks like this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1192618

Alpha_Maverick Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:44 am

Just FYI, the classified ad that was linked IS a 69 set. Notice on the right hand set of flaps, there's a little arm protruding "down", opposite the link bar arms. That is the arm to which the cable attaches.

Thank you Bruce, for doing the hard work for me :twisted:

BTW, here is a picture of a 69 ghia engine bay. Notice the thing that looks like a throttle cable, looping from the air cleaner around back behind the generator. That's the cable I'm talking about. I think it's actually supposed to pass to the left of the generator, to reduce the stress on the cable though.

Also, here's a pic of the spring on the end (the one in the above picture is rather damaged). I actually made this, using piano wire, a modified pushrod and a lot of patience.

aidengregory Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Ok thanks for that, I think get it. And so I could really get the thermo, left side flap, connecting rod, spring, etc from any set and then switch out the right flap and get the cable to run from the bracket to the air cleaner lever for mine, right?
BTW, I placed a wanted ad, since the one linked above is not the actual one for sale. If anybody has some laying around, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks

Alpha_Maverick Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:01 pm

yes. You'll need a bunch of little hardware to make it all work smoothly, but have some patience on the classifieds and ebay, and you'll find it all, eventually. The hardest thing for me to find was the cable itself, since most people had thrown them away. Once I got it, I accidentally damaged it (as seen in the pic), so I had to fab my own. If you can find the sleeve with a damaged cable, I'll share my notes on how I fabbed the replica.

aidengregory Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Ok thanks. I am on the hunt now.

Mr.Duncan Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:04 am

Heres a video on how to adjust it once you have it installed :)

mcmscott Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:21 am

aidengregory wrote: Ok thanks for that, I think get it. And so I could really get the thermo, left side flap, connecting rod, spring, etc from any set and then switch out the right flap and get the cable to run from the bracket to the air cleaner lever for mine, right?
BTW, I placed a wanted ad, since the one linked above is not the actual one for sale. If anybody has some laying around, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks

I think I have a set of 69/70 flaps with the arm for the cable, I'll check in awhile