TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How Would You Fill Screw Holes In Roof? Page: 1, 2  Next
kenshapiro2002 Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Just took a POS roof rack off my bus that was screwed in. I wanna fill the screw holes but not by welding, because my headliner is in. I hate fire in my vehicles. Ideas?

Northof49 Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:55 pm

I would indent the hole slightly, then fill the indent with jb weld. Roughen the surface first and clean with some solvent or alcohol.

panicman Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:15 am

Can you pull that part of the headliner loose?

kenshapiro2002 Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:16 am

panicman wrote: Can you pull that part of the headliner loose?

Not going to.

Bobnotch Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:02 am

kenshapiro2002 wrote: Just took a POS roof rack off my bus that was screwed in. I wanna fill the screw holes but not by welding, because my headliner is in. I hate fire in my vehicles. Ideas?

Put the roof rack back on, since you don't want to weld the holes closed. :roll:

Or dent the roof where the holes are, install some short screws in the holes, and duraglass over the screws. :shock:

kenshapiro2002 Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 am

Not sure I wanna dent it. Trying to figure out some way to get metal behind it for filling afterward. Maybe a strip if steel slightly narrower than the hole that I can manipulate and hold in place with magnets while epoxy sets up?

srfndoc Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:42 am

Any way you could open up one seam in the headliner enough to slip a copper piece in there to weld against?

kenshapiro2002 Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:46 am

srfndoc wrote: Any way you could open up one seam in the headliner enough to slip a copper piece in there to weld against?

Don't want to.

Cusser Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:05 pm

What about the plastic push-in caps, like I've seen at Ace Hardware in the little drawers? I've used them on Mrs. Cusser's Yukon front license holes.

chrisflstf Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:36 pm

I'd use a push in plastic cap, maybe with a smear of RTV. Check out McMaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

beetlenut Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:12 pm

pop rivit and RTV

kenshapiro2002 Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:22 pm

beetlenut wrote: pop rivit and RTV

Interesting but rivets have holes, right? What am I gaining by riveting?

chrisflstf Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:52 pm

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9750k21/=p9362m

They have other styles/sizes

abritinthebay Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:00 pm

So you want to deliberately not do it properly? Just slap a shorter screw in there for now then. Maybe with a rubber washer...

Then when you can be arsed to do it right.. weld it.

kenshapiro2002 Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:20 pm

abritinthebay wrote: So you want to deliberately not do it properly? Just slap a shorter screw in there for now then. Maybe with a rubber washer...

Then when you can be arsed to do it right.. weld it.

Yes...like we all (even perfectionist you) do from time to time, lmao. Yes, the "perfect" thing would be to weld them up, but I'm allowed to remove the ugly roof rack the PO slapped on there, and beg your permission to leave my headliner in fir now. Please?

panicman Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Bungee a kiddie pool over the holes. Definitely a conversation-starting icebreaker.

kenshapiro2002 Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:34 pm

panicman wrote: Bungee a kiddie pool over the holes. Definitely a conversation-starting icebreaker.

THAT'S a great idea. Keeps the rain out, no damage to the roof, no real work and you can always pull the pool down for enjoying on a hot day!

panicman Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Ok, last stab; sand the area around the holes to metal, and create 20 gauge patches from mild steel that cover the holes. Get some automotive panel adhesive, and apply as directed. You may have to shape the patches a bit to match the curvature of the roof. Once the adhesive is set up, rattle can prime, then rattle can white, as close as you can get to your surrounding roof color. If you do it right, you won't get a big water stain blossom in your headliner. I would still mount the kiddie pool, though.... For coolness.

beetlenut Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 am

kenshapiro2002 wrote: beetlenut wrote: pop rivit and RTV

Interesting but rivets have holes, right? What am I gaining by riveting?

Don't think so. The stem snaps off once it mushrooms the bottom of the rivit out and stays with (inside) the rivit. Use white rivits or some white RTV and it would be water tight. That or maybe white Marine-Tex.

Chad M Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:18 am

I know its risky, but why not get someone skilled with a TIG welder to weld the holes up? There wouldn't be any spatter if you prep the area perfectly and the headliner is far enough away from the roof sheet metal it shouldn't be a contact issue. Just have a rag ready to quench the weld to get out of the danger zone quickly. Mock up a similar set up and give it a try. This would be a very fast operation.