TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Convert at pan to std pan what is needed
rwf8ball Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:58 pm

what is needed to convert from at pan to std pan

KTPhil Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:26 pm

Some can answer; search will do so also.

But can you share why you want to? The changes can be extensive, and the automatics are desirable. You might be better off finding a stick car and starting from there.

I think the automatic T3 is one of the nicest cars to drive, even in the canyons. I still have a stick '71, and had an automatic of the same year at the same time for years, and both were very satisfying.

marchi Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:35 am

it is a headache to do, need a shift tube installed, easier to find a stick and trade for it or sell and buy. Pan swap is another option

ataraxia Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Here's the 'quick and dirty' on this topic:

Don't waste your time and money doing a conversion. Buy a manual trans pan and swap them.

Sell the auto pan.

It's a far better use of time and money.

Geothon Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:29 pm

I decided to go with hydraulic clutch conversion- was easier to do than messing with the cable tube.

Jason37 Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:10 pm

From what I can tell so far, tranny (correct mount, nose cone and hockey stick) axles, conversion (I am going type iv) or standard flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and a hydraulic clutch conversion.

Jason37 Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Sorry forgot, pedal assembly, shifter, shifter mounting plate, shift linkage and coupler. Probably easier to find a pan.

rwf8ball Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Heres what I have a 1969 auto trans fi squareback. I dont want the auto trans or the fi. I do want to keep the body. I also have a 1971 stick shift squareback. Want to keep the pan but not the body. Can I put the 69 body on the 71 pan and still title/reg. it as a 69? thanks in advance.

blankmange Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:11 am

rwf8ball wrote: . Can I put the 69 body on the 71 pan and still title/reg. it as a 69? thanks in advance.

you can swap pans - should be a pretty straight-forward swap....

titling it, on the other hand, may be problematic... usually, DMV uses the VIN from the pan to register/title a vehicle...

of course, that depends upon where you live...

marchi Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:03 am

with my history they go by vin on dash and 1 other location, so I choose under hood, easier to get to and matches :D

bad1916 Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:16 am

Switching pans with a legal vin can cause some headaches. It would be better to title it as the pan because the plate under the hood can be easily removed. If all you had titled was the plate under the hood if your car is stolen you could be screwed. Also if you sell your other pan and someone tries to register that pan it can cause grief with the dmv. In the classic thunderbird club international (ctci) two 1957 "E" birds showed up at a national show with the same vin. One lady had the body and a guy had the frame. I'm not sure how it was resolved but the guy with the frame has the legal vin.

GjMan Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:50 am

If you want to keep the car as a '69, it's simpler (though not easier) to convert the pan to MT. If the car is off the pan, and the pan is stripped, the pan is a lot easier to convert. If I had to do it again, I would use the hydraulic clutch option--it's a hassle to weld in that clutch tube.

Bobnotch Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 am

rwf8ball wrote: Heres what I have a 1969 auto trans fi squareback. I dont want the auto trans or the fi. I do want to keep the body. I also have a 1971 stick shift squareback. Want to keep the pan but not the body. Can I put the 69 body on the 71 pan and still title/reg. it as a 69? thanks in advance.

It'll swap right over (69 body on the 71 pan), but like others here have already mentioned, titling can be an issue depending on where you live (some states do different things). But, legally, the stamped number on the tunnel IS the VIN number, and IS what the car is. Now IF you have both titles, you can make what you don't use disappear (cut it up, and haul it away as scrap), and keep both titles to avoid any issues down the road (for when you eventually sell it).

Now, IF the bodies are off the pans, you'll have all the parts available to do a conversion to the 69 pan, and keep it numbers matching. It'll be some work, but the benefit is it'll be numbers matching. There are several ways to do it, whether you're swapping the tunnel uppers (so you can add the clutch tube), to welding pan 1/2s to the 69 pan. It's really a matter of how you want to go about it. Keep in mind that it's not just adding a clutch tube to the AT pan, but also cutting an access hole for the shift rod coupler, and plugging the old AT cable hole (on the bottom of the pan). I'm sure there are a couple more things that I've left out, but those are the main things.