TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Buying old vw, no tags, insurance, or reg... driving home Page: 1, 2  Next
DarkStar1013 Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:54 am

It does have ea title and I will have a bill of sale, whats the legality of me driving a car I just biught home. Itll be an easy 2 - 2.5h drive hhome.if for some ungodly reason iget pulled over will ibe ok if I explain I just bought the car? I do t wanna go buy insurance on a car befiee I gi look at but from th 45min talk and the pics, theres a damn good chance I 2ill get it.

Whats the protocol for such a situation

don't_bug_me Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:12 am

Probably best to call your state police for the answer, they can tell you what you need to legally drive it home, insurance, temp tags, etc, we use to be able to drive from point of purchase to home within 10 days of purchase, but I think that's long gone now, I just throw plates on and have someone follow close and behave myself, has worked for years, but at your own risk of course.

Letterman7 Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:13 am

It's all going to depend on the officer's mood. If the car has a tag - even the old owner's license plate - you shouldn't have an issue since the pd can run the tag and match it to your sales slip... which should be dated the same day. As long as you have all the correct paperwork with you, you should be fine. Personally, I'd try to find a tag place near your seller and get the paperwork started for transfer of title and a set of new tags before you drive it home, that way there is no question at all.

anthracitedub Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:56 am

I remember my bros first bug, he bought it down the street from our house.
He called the DMV about getting all the legal stuff straight on it, they said they have to do a VIN inspection on the car, must physically see it.

We were just kids, so we drove the car 10 minutes to the place with all paper work in hand, got pulled over. The cop was a complete dick, wrote every ticket imaginable to my brother and would not accept any excuse.

I'd probably just tow the car.... Might save you money in the long run.

don't_bug_me Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:04 am

anthracitedub wrote:

I'd probably just tow the car.... Might save you money in the long run.

Probably the best advice, what if it unexpectedly breaks down, then your really screwed if the po-lice come, not that these break down or anything... :wink:

Jon Schmid Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:06 am

FWIW every insurance company I have dealt with will retroactively insure a new (to you) vehicle for some fixed period of time until you can formally add it to your policy--obviously ASAP. As for tags, I guess it depends on your state's laws; my recollection here in CA was just going to the AAA office with all the pertinent paperwork--a hell of a lot better than going to the DMV--to get updated plates/tags. Add AAA: if you're not a member, think about joining. The tow services alone are well worth the membership fee. With two 50 year old cars no need to ask me how I know.

EverettB Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:38 am

DarkStar1013 wrote: It does have ea title and I will have a bill of sale, whats the legality of me driving a car I just biught home. Itll be an easy 2 - 2.5h drive hhome.if for some ungodly reason iget pulled over will ibe ok if I explain I just bought the car? I do t wanna go buy insurance on a car befiee I gi look at but from th 45min talk and the pics, theres a damn good chance I 2ill get it.

In my state (AZ) we are supposed to get a temporary tag from the DMV to drive a car home like that. It lasts 3 days to give you time to buy it and drive it to the DMV if needed. We can buy one and print it out online so easy to do.

But on short drives and before I knew you were supposed to do that I have done what you said - just have a bill of sale with me and drive home. If I get stopped explain I just bought the car and roll the dice. I have never been stopped on a short drive.

I have also put on plates from another one of my cars to reduce the change of stoppage. This is probably illegal.

Before I knew about this temp. tag rule I drove a car I bought from New Mexico to Arizona with no plates/car looked like junk/etc. and got stopped right by my house for no plates, no tags, etc. Almost made it... the cop let me off. We chatted, he was cool, but he ran the VIN and my license just to be sure everything was legitimate. I told him I worked for the DMV too so he thought I was a moron for not having a temp. tag. I did and I was.

My insurance automatically gives me 30 days of coverage to contact them on any new car. So I am covered on anything new I buy and have some time to contact them. They ask me the date I bought it and back date the policy to that date so I am covered when I was driving it home... and pay from that date too.

don't_bug_me Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:45 am

Yeah, using other plates constitutes eroneous tags ticket...if caught 8) I've actually bought 2 vehicles close to the same time, went and got both set of tags, put the wrong ones on the wrong car, and actually got a ticket, some cops.....

60ragtop Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:33 am

each state is different :roll:
in Wyoming, you can drive on the signed off title for 30 days
my insurance company also covers me for "new" purchases automatically

Gary Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:43 am

EverettB wrote: DarkStar1013 wrote: It does have ea title and I will have a bill of sale, whats the legality of me driving a car I just biught home. Itll be an easy 2 - 2.5h drive hhome.if for some ungodly reason iget pulled over will ibe ok if I explain I just bought the car? I do t wanna go buy insurance on a car befiee I gi look at but from th 45min talk and the pics, theres a damn good chance I 2ill get it.

In my state (AZ) we are supposed to get a temporary tag from the DMV to drive a car home like that. It lasts 3 days to give you time to buy it and drive it to the DMV if needed. We can buy one and print it out online so easy to do.

But on short drives and before I knew you were supposed to do that I have done what you said - just have a bill of sale with me and drive home. If I get stopped explain I just bought the car and roll the dice. I have never been stopped on a short drive.

I have also put on plates from another one of my cars to reduce the change of stoppage. This is probably illegal.

Before I knew about this temp. tag rule I drove a car I bought from New Mexico to Arizona with no plates/car looked like junk/etc. and got stopped right by my house for no plates, no tags, etc. Almost made it... the cop let me off. We chatted, he was cool, but he ran the VIN and my license just to be sure everything was legitimate. I told him I worked for the DMV too so he thought I was a moron for not having a temp. tag. I did and I was.

My insurance automatically gives me 30 days of coverage to contact them on any new car. So I am covered on anything new I buy and have some time to contact them. They ask me the date I bought it and back date the policy to that date so I am covered when I was driving it home... and pay from that date too.

Remove the word "probably" from the part in bold.

Hot Air Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Use a tow bar and put a sign in the back windo "car in tow"...You might be able to contact your insurance company and let them know so you will be covered in case of a misshap.... Do you know a car dealer that could lend you a dealer tag.

jwold Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:57 pm

I'd also suggest a towbar. How are the brakes? Engine? Bearings?

19super73 Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Luckily, where I live, using a registered plate from another car you own and having valid ins. on the car the plate came from, gives you 14 days of driving.

Quote: The Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation (OLVCR) of the Traffic Safety Act section 86 allows a client to use a valid licence plate/registration from an existing vehicle on a newly acquired vehicle for up to a maximum of 14 days from the date on the ownership document(s), e.g. bill of sale. The owner must register the newly acquired vehicle with that licence plate being displayed on the vehicle on or before the 14 day grace period has expired. During this grace period, the operator must be able to present to law enforcement, if requested;

1. proof of ownership document for the vehicle
2. valid proof of insurance ‘pink card’ relating to the vehicle
3. proof of valid registration for the licence plate being transferred to the vehicle

pyrOman Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:07 pm

In the people's republik of kalifohnia, if the vehicle is not street legal it must be hauled off the street! As in on a flatbed or trailer, NOT towed! Even if you got it all legal and just want to take it to the dmv for verification. If you want to do that, then you must get a temporary permit BEFORE it goes on the road. Good luck with your particular situation. 8)

Zeen Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Michigan is pretty cool about it, the Secretary of State web sight says you can drive it straight home without a plate. Of course you'll want the signed title in case you do get pulled over. It specifically says it is illegal to put on plates from another car. Search your state's web site, this is a common issue and they'll have a policy.

ALLWAGONS Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:41 pm

DarkStar1013 wrote: It does have ea title and I will have a bill of sale, whats the legality of me driving a car I just biught home. Itll be an easy 2 - 2.5h drive hhome.if for some ungodly reason iget pulled over will ibe ok if I explain I just bought the car? I do t wanna go buy insurance on a car befiee I gi look at but from th 45min talk and the pics, theres a damn good chance I 2ill get it.

Don't know about Oregon, but in Cali, you may get a one or two day permit. If the tires are on a public steret and/or highway and the vehicle is NOT being towed, you must have some type of permit.

andk5591 Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Oh hell - most of you are wusses. I think I was maybe 19 and was given a 68 Mustang ragtop that was about 30 miles away. Brought my 15 year old brother, tire pump, jumper cables and a couple gallons of gas. Dumped in the gas, jumped it and drove it home with my brother driving my car - was pretty cool until I realized that it didnt have brakes, but the emergency brake worked....fairly well. Of course that didnt stop my from seeing how well the 289 Hi-Po ran :shock:

And we wonder how we are still alive today.

Tow the VW. The potential breakdown and a state trouper who is having a bad day is not worth the hassle.

bowtiebug Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:32 pm

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/tpltveh.aspx

Mike Fisher Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:11 am

We drove my son's '67 square 600 miles to San Francisco and bought my '69 square. We turned around and drove them both home to Eugene with the CA plates still on my 'new' '69. We didn't buy any $30 Trip Permit!

Culito Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Insurance is the most important thing around here.
I would just hop on Geico and get an instant basic policy for a few bucks, print out the insurance ID card and take it with you. The rest can wait, just have the title handy and explain that you just bought the car if you get pulled over.