TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Refinishing Rims - What color do you think? 1970 Square Page: 1, 2  Next
taylor.donnie Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:13 pm

I just received my new tires in the mail. Sadly they are not white walled they have a black sidewall. However I thought since I was changing the tires I would sandblast and refinish my rims.

I've looked at the forums about the stock color options and from what I can tell (I may be reading the charts wrong) the 1970 Squareback came stock with silver chrome colored rims.

I was thinking of doing a two tone wheel rim. Perhaps a white rim with beige (color of my car) on the inner part (the curved part adjacent to the hubcap).

What color do you guys think looks the best? I'm open to suggestions or some of your knowledge.

The first picture best represents the color of my Square however the second shows the current rim color.

[/img]

Mike Fisher Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:13 pm

I think two tone looks the best for stock steel wheels. These are original paint VW rims off a Beetle I think.

taylor.donnie Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:38 pm

I think I'm going to do two tone. I think it looks the best. I just can't decide on the color. Perhaps someone on the samba has a similar color car with two tone rims so I can get an idea. It's quite hard to make a decision. ;p

Tozbee Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:44 am

I have not used this company, but here is a link http://www.dbtires.com/tires.html

Apparently, they can put any color stripes on tires.

On the rims . . . I do like the two tone. It makes the hubcaps stand out.

Bobnotch Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:45 am

I'm going to sound like Tram here, and say stay with the silver. You can't go wrong with stock. :D On a light color like that, it's doubtful you'd notice the beige and white color difference. In fact, the beige portion will just look dirty on "white" rims. If you decide to 2 tone them, you might want to go with something more like Mike posted, that shows off the 2 tone effect. Maybe go with a "brite" white instead. On darker colored cars, you see the difference of the rim colors when they're 2 toned (like below). Just my opinion, and you can decide what you want to do. You could alway look thru the Samba gallery, and see what comes up. :wink:

Yabbadubbadoo Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:03 am

I like silver rims on that colour car. POR15 make a nice silver aluminium alloy finish if you're spraying them yourself. Two tone would date the car a bit too early for 1970 but that's just my opinion. It's your car so if two tone makes you happy a chocolate brown outer dish with chrome (hot rod style) dress ring and body colour centre wouldn't look too bad. Or maybe just all white, again with the rodder style dress ring and VW hub cap. If you get those dress rings that show a small portion of the outer edge (where the balance weights clip on) you could pinstripe that in red. Then sell the tyres and buy some white walls. (just kidding...... on second thoughts, no I'm not).

taylor.donnie Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:14 am

Bobnotch wrote: I'm going to sound like Tram here, and say stay with the silver. You can't go wrong with stock. :D On a light color like that, it's doubtful you'd notice the beige and white color difference. In fact, the beige portion will just look dirty on "white" rims. If you decide to 2 tone them, you might want to go with something more like Mike posted, that shows off the 2 tone effect. Maybe go with a "brite" white instead. On darker colored cars, you see the difference of the rim colors when they're 2 toned (like below). Just my opinion, and you can decide what you want to do. You could alway look thru the Samba gallery, and see what comes up. :wink:

I know what you mean - staying with original is the right thing to do. However, I'm going to keep looking through the gallery to try and see beige car rims. I am not opposed to the aluminum look however I feel a painted rim spices it up a bit.

taylor.donnie Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:15 am

Tozbee wrote: I have not used this company, but here is a link http://www.dbtires.com/tires.html

Apparently, they can put any color stripes on tires.

On the rims . . . I do like the two tone. It makes the hubcaps stand out.

Yeah, I found white wall tires - for the time being I just needed a cheap tire to get the car on the road.

taylor.donnie Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:18 am

Yabbadubbadoo wrote: I like silver rims on that colour car. POR15 make a nice silver aluminium alloy finish if you're spraying them yourself. Two tone would date the car a bit too early for 1970 but that's just my opinion. It's your car so if two tone makes you happy a chocolate brown outer dish with chrome (hot rod style) dress ring and body colour centre wouldn't look too bad. Or maybe just all white, again with the rodder style dress ring and VW hub cap. If you get those dress rings that show a small portion of the outer edge (where the balance weights clip on) you could pinstripe that in red. Then sell the tyres and buy some white walls. (just kidding...... on second thoughts, no I'm not).

Thanks for the advice. What do do you mean by "dress rings"?

Mike Fisher Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:44 am

Dress rings/beauty rings made for the Type 3 steel wheel shown below. Cheap generic new beauty rings will fall off your Type 3 wheels, so buy an original set from Erik G etc if you want a set.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573073&highlight=wheel+rings

W1K1 Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:15 am

Well if you want something different

White with a silver ghost pearl .

On yours i would think silver with a gold pearl, or ghost pearl would be interesting, or a chamelion color on the inner ring. :twisted:

taylor.donnie Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: Dress rings/beauty rings made for the Type 3 steel wheel shown below. Cheap generic new beauty rings will fall off your Type 3 wheels, so buy an original set from Erik G etc if you want a set.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573073&highlight=wheel+rings

Is Erik G a supplier? - I can google around- but asking may just be easier.

taylor.donnie Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:49 pm

W1K1 wrote: Well if you want something different

White with a silver ghost pearl .

On yours i would think silver with a gold pearl, or ghost pearl would be interesting, or a chamelion color on the inner ring. :twisted:

I'll think about the white pearl. It might look sharp.

Yabbadubbadoo Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:56 pm

taylor.donnie wrote: Yabbadubbadoo wrote: I like silver rims on that colour car. POR15 make a nice silver aluminium alloy finish if you're spraying them yourself. Two tone would date the car a bit too early for 1970 but that's just my opinion. It's your car so if two tone makes you happy a chocolate brown outer dish with chrome (hot rod style) dress ring and body colour centre wouldn't look too bad. Or maybe just all white, again with the rodder style dress ring and VW hub cap. If you get those dress rings that show a small portion of the outer edge (where the balance weights clip on) you could pinstripe that in red. Then sell the tyres and buy some white walls. (just kidding...... on second thoughts, no I'm not).

Thanks for the advice. What do do you mean by "dress rings"?

This style of dress ring but what I like is when they show a small amount of the rim where it meets the tyre and then you pinstripe the edge say red or a contrasting colour. It's a very subtle detail that looks really good against a whitewall tyre.

Actually, after looking at this pic I think black would also suit your car just like the pic.

BTW: I really don't know how well they fit. I expect that different brands might vary in how secure they clip on.

Tram Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:59 pm

taylor.donnie wrote: Bobnotch wrote: I'm going to sound like Tram here, and say stay with the silver. You can't go wrong with stock. :D On a light color like that, it's doubtful you'd notice the beige and white color difference. In fact, the beige portion will just look dirty on "white" rims. If you decide to 2 tone them, you might want to go with something more like Mike posted, that shows off the 2 tone effect. Maybe go with a "brite" white instead. On darker colored cars, you see the difference of the rim colors when they're 2 toned (like below). Just my opinion, and you can decide what you want to do. You could alway look thru the Samba gallery, and see what comes up. :wink:

I know what you mean - staying with original is the right thing to do. However, I'm going to keep looking through the gallery to try and see beige car rims. I am not opposed to the aluminum look however I feel a painted rim spices it up a bit.

He wishes he could sound like me. :lol:

But seriously... to do anything but keep that particular car in top bone stock condition would be a crime, IMO. If you want to play with wheels, buy another set and do what you want with them, but refinish your original wheels in silver alloy as original, and tuck them away. When/ if you sell the car, they should go with it.

Any personal changes you make should, in my opinion, be easily reversible, and the original parts should be kept with the vehicle.

Bobnotch Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Tram wrote: He wishes he could sound like me. :lol:

But seriously... to do anything but keep that particular car in top bone stock condition would be a crime, IMO. If you want to play with wheels, buy another set and do what you want with them, but refinish your original wheels in silver alloy as original, and tuck them away. When/ if you sell the car, they should go with it.

Any personal changes you make should, in my opinion, be easily reversible, and the original parts should be kept with the vehicle.

Oh shite, that means I really screwed up 2 toning those wide 5 type 3 rims I put on my type 34 (above) then. Granted 3 were OE t-34 rims, the other 2 were t-3 rims from a 65 Squareback. Well, I'll let the next guy worry about fixing that "flaw", as I'm not changing them back to black. :roll: At least they'll be smoother for sanding, than they were when I got them. :shock:

And as far as trying to sound like Tram, well that should be a compliment to him. :wink: After all, he's the "stock guru" around here. :D

Tram Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Bobnotch wrote: Tram wrote: He wishes he could sound like me. :lol:

Oh shite, that means I really screwed up 2 toning those wide 5 type 3 rims I put on my type 34 (above) then.

Yes. Yes, you DID. Now go stand in the corner and think about what you've done.

t3kg Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Oh sure, it starts innocently enough with painting the wheels a non-stock color, but then before you know it this happens:

:wink:

Bobnotch Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Tram wrote: Bobnotch wrote: Tram wrote: He wishes he could sound like me. :lol:

Oh shite, that means I really screwed up 2 toning those wide 5 type 3 rims I put on my type 34 (above) then.

Yes. Yes, you DID. Now go stand in the corner and think about what you've done.

How long do I need to stand in the corner for?
P.S. I thought they looked good.

Scott, Isn't JimmyNotch looking for that?

Yabbadubbadoo Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:55 pm

This guy two-toned like a boss. It's all class.