TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help with 002 install on 10* kit
thesatelliteguy Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Im having a hard time getting the front mount into a logical place to weld it. It seems like the tube is too long, so it causes the shifter collar to sit on the bottom of the hold where it sticks through into the body. It also prevents the transmission from sitting all the way forwards by about 1". I dont mind cutting the tube down, but i just want to make sure i dont have it on backwards or something.

tripicana Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:21 pm

yup, its too long, i had to shorten mine

thesatelliteguy Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Dam, and im wearing clean cloths now....

About how much did you have to take off?

tripicana Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:27 pm

i dont remember how much i took off, i had to keep grinding and checking until it fit right.
i want to say like about an inch or so... i could measure and post tomorrow...

It's a play thing Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Yep, mine to need alittle trimming also. pretty common.

thesatelliteguy Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:18 am

oh dam. Well that was nice of them to give it a nice notch at the factory. :roll:

ORANGECRUSHer Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:34 am

this is why I'll be making my own from scratch. lol by the time you get done fooling around with some of these aftermarket brackets you might as well.

58Dub Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:28 pm

yup, had to shorten mine as well. guess its better than coming up short :D

num1bum Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:31 pm

I had to shorten mine about an inch or so, once it was shortend everything else pretty much fell into place. I had 2 spots on the frame horns where I had to trim the seam to clear the trans case, but other than that it was pretty straight forward.

mattfarmer Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:34 am

Do any of you guy have detailed pictures of how you did it? This type of stuff makes me nervous after all the time I've spent fabricating stuff for the car, wouldn't want to have to start over on a new pan or something.

Thanks Matt

Jcr. Kat Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:20 am

Anytime you install bus trans in a bug you have to modify the mounts or make your own remember the trans needs to be installed offset if you want the same size axles

thesatelliteguy Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:33 pm

The pics are kind of rough but you get the idea