TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pisgah Bus Rally - Asheville, NC - 1/1/14
kkjellquist Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:16 am

Howdy! I've decided to organize a rally in Asheville on New Year's Day 2014. I have a web site created with all the details, and I'll create an event on Facebook. I'll try to monitor all the various places for questions & comments.

Hope to see lots of people there!

http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/

kkjellquist Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Did a pre-drive of the course today and have posted GPS related files on the blog.

kkjellquist Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:45 am

I'd like to announce Asheville's own Hi-Wire Brewing as the first official sponsor of the Pisgah Bus Rally. They will be hosting the after party and offering prizes for our contests/games to be announced.

http://hiwirebrewing.com/

http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/

Bobdabody Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:48 pm

This sounds very cool and I hope to be in attendance. Thanks for giving it a go and putting an event together. I tried to gander at the route via the blog but nothing happened..... ok thats not true stuff happened but I couldnt find a map or cues. I have a feeling its because Im handy'r with a wrench than a keyboard. Anyway I will bring my gazeteer among other survivalist gear. Looking forward to it.

kkjellquist Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Things are coming together nicely! In the last couple hours FREE camping was secured at Zen Tubing in Asheville at 1648 Brevard Rd. Fait warning....there are ZERO facilities, but it's free space only 2.5 miles from the start.

Bobdabody...here's the route for ya;

Starting at Biltmore Square Mall on 191
Left out of mall parking lot onto 191S
Right on Wesley Branch Rd
Bear right on Bent Creek Gap Road (dirt)
Go under Blue Ridge Parkway
Begin on FS 5000 (dirt)
Right on N Mills River Rd/FS 1206 (aka Yellow Gap Rd) (dirt)
Left on 276/Pisgah Highway
Left on Averys Creek Rd (dirt)
Right on 276/Pisgah Highway
Left on Fish Hatchery Rd/ N Davidson River Rd
Right on Indian Creek Rd (dirt)
Rt on 215
Left on Charley’s Creek Rd
Left on Wolf Mountain Rd
Left on Tannassee Creek/Gap Rd
Rt on 215
Left on 64 -> Brevard
Straight on 64/276
Straight on 280
Left/On Ramp to 26 West towards Asheville
240 East
Exit Rt on Patton Ave to Downtown Asheville
Rt on Grove St.
Left on Hilliard Ave
Finish at Hi-Wire Brewing (197 Hilliard Ave, park across street in Keller-Williams lot)

F4u5T Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:16 pm

Hope this is a big hit and happens again next year, I just took the floor and out of mine and the engine is being rebuilt! :cry:

kkjellquist Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:56 am

The first annual PBR was a success! We had a severely delayed start due to one disabled bus. The route was cut short, but we still hit all the dirt and had a blast!

Look for a video of the event coming soon and see y'all in 2015!!

kkjellquist Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:30 am

If memory serves....3 splits, 4 bays, and 2 vanagons

GarryA Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:10 am

I know that area well and those forestry roads. I have ridden them on my motorcycle. Maybe next year I can join you in a bus.
Jan 2 is may not be the best weather to do the rally. Have you considered a spring time event? Mid summer would also be a great time when it is hot in lower elevations. Maybe a Mountain Laurel Bus Rally when they are in bloom?
If you could organize something the Sunday after CYW you might get more attendance.
Just some suggestions. I applaud your efforts to organize any event.
There are many campgrounds in the area (with facilities and inexpensive), waterfalls to explore and trails to hike.

kkjellquist Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:37 am

GarryA wrote:
Jan 2 is may not be the best weather to do the rally.

Agreed...that's why I had it on Jan 1 :wink:

Hope you can make it next year!

kkjellquist Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:27 am