TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need the correct brake rotors Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
imz8478 Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:46 am

Okay I need to know which ones I need for my 1971 VW fast back. My Chassis number is 3112259493. I see some rotors say from type 3 66-2/71 and the from type 3 3/71 to 74. I am confused. On my door tag is says 7/71. So I am figuring it is July of 71. So would I go with the 3/71 -74 rotors? Thanks for the help.

Bobnotch Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:56 am

imz8478 wrote: Okay I need to know which ones I need for my 1971 VW fast back. My Chassis number is 3112259493. I see some rotors say from type 3 66-2/71 and the from type 3 3/71 to 74. I am confused. On my door tag is says 7/71. So I am figuring it is July of 71. So would I go with the 3/71 -74 rotors? Thanks for the help.

A quick way to know for sure which ones you need, is to measure the caliper mounting brackets. If you have 2 1/2 inches for the bolt centers, then it uses the early rotor. But, if it has a 3 inch bolt center, it uses the later rotors.
I wouldn't go off the door tag (unless you bought the car new), as you never know what the PO, or PPO (Previous Previous Owner) did. He could have easily swapped it over to the earlier set up. :roll: I hope this helps.

imz8478 Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks bob your great! Yeah it is the 2 1/2. What about when it comes to other parts? What do they mean when it is between those years like I wrote? 66-3/71 and 4/71-74? Why do they put that? Does it mean the parts are different after the 3/71?

Bobnotch Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:55 pm

imz8478 wrote: Thanks bob your great! Yeah it is the 2 1/2. What about when it comes to other parts? What do they mean when it is between those years like I wrote? 66-3/71 and 4/71-74? Why do they put that? Does it mean the parts are different after the 3/71?

Some parts can be different, but most do interchange with the later years, or the shop doesn't know what it's talking about (especially since they think VW built T-3s in 1974, they didn't). However most of us here know that some parts got changed mid year, while some waited until the next year to start. Brake rotors are 1 of those iffy parts. Add in some people used the 72-73 parts as upgrades for pre 72 cars. That's why I suggested measuring the caliper mounting bolt centers, as that really tells you what parts you actually need.

But front brakes are the real main difference, along with the wiring harness getting a mid year change, but that was because VW added in the "diagnostic test system". That added a few wires, moved the harness under the left side, keeping it inside (under the rear seat, and out into the engine compartment), instead of running outside behind the left door (behind the left rear fender). It was minor change, but everything else stayed the same (instruments, lights, etc...).

I think there's some year by year changes listed in the FAQ at the top of the forum page (in the stickies). I'd give it a look, but most times, VW made "progressive changes", or improvements.

imz8478 Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Bob yeah i kind of realized that. I read many forums and all for info i need to get but if i cant find it ill just ask. Now another question i have. I know that my calipers use M10 bolts to hold the caliper to th spindle. But where can i get 4 of thise bolts? I dont have and or i do have some but the go all the way to the disc and i know they are too long so arent the right ones. I seen on the forums that i need M10 but have no idea where i can get them. Oh and i got the carb sync tool and had this cheap regulator which people say not to use since they leak but mine didnt but the dial seemed to stip if you adjust it too much. So got the bosch fuel pressure regulator and i seem to not get fuel in my carbs after i hook it all up correctly. When i run it, the line has pressure before the fuel pressure regulator but no fuel coming out of the outlet portion. Bought it new out of the box and saw some other ones from what i seen on the forums. But anyhow i set the timing and had that dial regulator and it worked and synced my carbs. So the engine fired up no problem thanks to your advice. But now i have a problem with the FPR. There is pressure before it and the screen in the tank has no clog or buildup on it at all. But dont know what is with this regulator. Any ideas would help and with the bolts. Thanks Bob!

Mike Fisher Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:05 pm

I buy or order specialty bolts at Eugene Fastener. Sometimes we have had to order them out of their DORMAN catalog.

Bobnotch Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:37 pm

imz8478 wrote: Bob yeah i kind of realized that. I read many forums and all for info i need to get but if i cant find it ill just ask. Now another question i have. I know that my calipers use M10 bolts to hold the caliper to th spindle. But where can i get 4 of thise bolts? I dont have and or i do have some but the go all the way to the disc and i know they are too long so arent the right ones. I seen on the forums that i need M10 but have no idea where i can get them. Oh and i got the carb sync tool and had this cheap regulator which people say not to use since they leak but mine didnt but the dial seemed to stip if you adjust it too much. So got the bosch fuel pressure regulator and i seem to not get fuel in my carbs after i hook it all up correctly. When i run it, the line has pressure before the fuel pressure regulator but no fuel coming out of the outlet portion. Bought it new out of the box and saw some other ones from what i seen on the forums. But anyhow i set the timing and had that dial regulator and it worked and synced my carbs. So the engine fired up no problem thanks to your advice. But now i have a problem with the FPR. There is pressure before it and the screen in the tank has no clog or buildup on it at all. But dont know what is with this regulator. Any ideas would help and with the bolts. Thanks Bob!

For the bolts, try ISP West. They have 10 in stock @1.95 each.
They're M12x1.5x30mm long, that ISP is selling, but everything I have says they should be M10. It might be a typo on ISP's part. I'd call and talk to someone there before ordering them. You could always contact Joel Boo-Koo-Z in Washington state, and see IF he's got any.
If you go the route Mike suggests, make sure the bolts are rated at grade 10.9, as that's what you're trying to replace. Anything else (like an 8.9 or 9.9) could shear, and cause a major failure of the brake components. You could aways bolt he caliper up to the spindle, and trim the excess length off. :wink:

As for the FPR, what fuel pump are you using? Just asking, because depending on the pump you're using, you shouldn't need a FPR on it. I'm using the Mr.Gasket brand S042 low pressure import pump on 2 of my type 3s, and a friend is using the same pump on his t-3 Square and his 66 T-14 Ghia. All without a pressure regulator. In fact on 1 car, I'm using it with Solex carbs, and the other has Weber carbs.
What FPR are you using? It sounds like something is plumbed wrong, or it doesn't go down low enough for the pressure you're trying to get, or you're not making enough pressure to open it. :shock:

imz8478 Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Well I have an electric fuel pump. And my carbs are dual FRD 34B Dells. I mean when I used the spectre FPR from autozone I didn't have any problems with fuel delivery to the carbs it was just the dial stripping when adjusting the pressure. If I don't use a FPR then my carbs will bleed out fuel from the little spout above the ventri. I heard the need 3.5lbs of pressure and nothing more. And my pump pumps real damn good.yeah I get most of my part from Joel and he is awesome. Yeah I'll have to see if he does or shear the ones I got like you said. I have 2 only but want 4 new ones or just 4 of the right size.

imz8478 Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:14 pm

Okay and what are the measurements of the caliper bolts? M 10x? I and I seen someone selling the 10.9 grade you were talking about Bob but need more info of the length. Thanks for all of your help. It is really getting me closer to being in the road with my first type 3.

Mike Fisher Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:28 pm

You say you have 2 so take them to your specialty fastener shop/hardware store and let them measure/order them for you.

Bobnotch Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:14 pm

imz8478 wrote: Okay and what are the measurements of the caliper bolts? M 10x? I and I seen someone selling the 10.9 grade you were talking about Bob but need more info of the length. Thanks for all of your help. It is really getting me closer to being in the road with my first type 3.

M10x1.50x30 .
Like I asked above, what fuel pump are you using? What FPR are you using? This might help us steer you in the right direction.

vlad01 Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:35 pm

don't forget the to get the correct grade of bolt when replacing them :wink:

imz8478 Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:36 am

here is the fuel pump i am using and FPR.

Fuel pump
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Fuel-Pump-Universal/_/R-AFPE8153_0108026052

FPR

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?part...OgodI1QARw

if there is any that are the ones i should have please send me the link so i could get them. thanks

Bobnotch Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:34 am

imz8478 wrote: here is the fuel pump i am using and FPR.

Fuel pump
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Fuel-Pump-Universal/_/R-AFPE8153_0108026052

FPR

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?part...OgodI1QARw

if there is any that are the ones i should have please send me the link so i could get them. thanks

Well, I see what your problems are. First, the fuel pump your using is for low pressure Fuel Injection (GM TBI style), and has a working pressure of 10 to 14 psi. That's too high. Second, you're using a stock type 3 FPR, and I don't think it's made to drop down that low, as it's "working pressure" is 28 to 32 psi. Both of these together are too much for your application. :shock:

I'd go with a Mr.Gasket brand #S042 fuel pump, and not worry about a pressure regulator. That pump is a "low pressure Import" pump, that has a 2 to 4 psi working pressure which is just right for our cars with carbs. 8) You can get it at almost any auto parts store like Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advanced Auto, and the like for around 50 bucks. That's what's nice about that pump, it's available almost anywhere. :D

imz8478 Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:36 pm

Awesome!!! Thanks so much Bob! I'll get that on Friday and change it all up. I also am getting the bolts from Joel. He has 4 of them. Anyhow I'll keep ya informed about the turnout on Friday or saturday. Thanks!

imz8478 Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Okay, I got the bolts and are great. I got my new rear brake drums from CIP and seems they are small....or am i tripping?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-501-615-F

But for some reason it wont fit onto the hub. either the Wheel cylinder that I got is too big even though it was what i ordered from what I was looking for on my year. But the wheel cylinder or brke adjuster is in the way. What can I do about this? I had my shoes and all on but seems it is like an inch too small. I am lost and cant figure this out lol. HELP!!

Erik G Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Pictures?

If your drum looks like the one in the ad, it is correct. I'm thinking you are missing a spacer or something behind the hub but can't tell without pictures

imz8478 Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Erik G wrote: Pictures?

If your drum looks like the one in the ad, it is correct. I'm thinking you are missing a spacer or something behind the hub but can't tell without pictures

Here are some pics...

imz8478 Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Seems like the top or the bottom part gets in the way and also maybe the shoes are too big. But everything I order online is what I get for my 71 fastback. Just dont get it. Sucks.

Bobnotch Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:03 pm

imz8478 wrote: Okay, I got the bolts and are great. I got my new rear brake drums from CIP and seems they are small....or am i tripping?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-501-615-F

But for some reason it wont fit onto the hub. either the Wheel cylinder that I got is too big even though it was what i ordered from what I was looking for on my year. But the wheel cylinder or brke adjuster is in the way. What can I do about this? I had my shoes and all on but seems it is like an inch too small. I am lost and cant figure this out lol. HELP!!

With it all back together (shoes installed) try your old drums, and see IF they'll fit. I only say that, as the repop stuff isn't always a direct fit.