TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Notchback Door Hinge Seals
Woreign Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:07 pm

I'm interested in purchasing these seals for my Notch:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1428191

My notch has the later style with the hooks. Will these work just as well? The seller also has another set with the bottom seals having hooks and the top seals without.

A friend of mine used black sealing putty on his 60s era Chevy van that has similar hinges and it turned out well, but his van has six doors and 12 hinges to seal, so the stock seals would have cost him a fortune.

Advice or suggestions?

Thanks!

vlad01 Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:18 pm

It would be nice if they were made new. I have a full set of NOS ones for notch with wire clips and all are very hard and fragile. Would not work as a seal at all. Though looks nice as they are NOS.

I guess you could try to find a suitable seal profile and bond it to the area, maybe even use the original clips with it?

ataraxia Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:54 pm

To clarify:
One style on the left side vs. Another style on the right side.

Those on the left side I've only seen on Notchbacks, while those on the right side I've only seen on Variants (all five of my 65 and earlier Variants had these).

Also something to note-the seals with the 'hook' are position specific-one part number for each corner, whereas those without the 'hook' are only 'top' or 'bottom' pieces since they fit both sides. The 'hook' is directional and intended to be installed so that the clasping part is facing the rear of the car. Left and right side specific and top/bottom specific.

They don't fall off or get lost. My 65 Variant still had the originals on it when I took the car apart for body work-they were hard as a rock but they were there!

I was also incorrect in stating that I have the bottoms with hooks-I have the tops but they're all left side pieces.

vlad01 Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:59 pm

I have those with the hooks.

ataraxia Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:00 pm

vlad01 wrote: I have those with the hooks.

Original from the car? Is it a Notchback or Variant?

vlad01 Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Notch of course.

Car is 98% original.