TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine Bay rust - opinion
68moose Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:09 pm

How bad would it be to fix this rust?

Mike Fisher Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:12 pm

It is Work but I have sold solid West Coast decks 'cut to order' to repair them. Place a WTB ad with pics for the stuff you need/want. :idea:

Bobnotch Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: It is Work but I have sold solid West Coast decks 'cut to order' to repair them. Place a WTB ad with pics for the stuff you need/want. :idea:

Mike, why don't you just tell him to pm you. :roll:
You know you have the stuff for sale (you just said so). And he posted a pic of what he needs, (he asked how hard a job it would be to replace).

68moose Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:10 pm

I don't own the car. I was thinking if purchasing it, but that engine bay scared me.

vintagespeedwerks Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Bobnotch wrote: Mike Fisher wrote: It is Work but I have sold solid West Coast decks 'cut to order' to repair them. Place a WTB ad with pics for the stuff you need/want. :idea:

You know you have the stuff for sale (you just said so). And he posted a pic of what he needs, (he asked how hard a job it would be to replace).

And how!!

vlad01 Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Bobnotch wrote: Mike Fisher wrote: It is Work but I have sold solid West Coast decks 'cut to order' to repair them. Place a WTB ad with pics for the stuff you need/want. :idea:

lol :o

Bobnotch Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:28 pm

vintagespeedwerks wrote: Bobnotch wrote: Mike Fisher wrote: It is Work but I have sold solid West Coast decks 'cut to order' to repair them. Place a WTB ad with pics for the stuff you need/want. :idea:

And how!!

Mike doesn't fix 'em, he just cuts them up for parts. Raf did that section on a Squareback a couple of years ago, with metal he got from Mike. I personally haven't replaced that section before, but I've replaced parts of it over the years on different cars. I don't think it would be a tough job, but drilling out the spot welds would take the longest time (you'll have to do both the car, and the donor section). Then it's just a matter of trimming the donor piece until it fits. Weld it in, grind it smooth, and you're done.

notchback Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Bobnotch wrote: vintagespeedwerks wrote: Bobnotch wrote: Mike Fisher wrote: It is Work but I have sold solid West Coast decks 'cut to order' to repair them. Place a WTB ad with pics for the stuff you need/want. :idea:

And how!!

Mike doesn't fix 'em, he just cuts them up for parts. Raf did that section on a Squareback a couple of years ago, with metal he got from Mike. I personally haven't replaced that section before, but I've replaced parts of it over the years on different cars. I don't think it would be a tough job, but drilling out the spot welds would take the longest time (you'll have to do both the car, and the donor section). Then it's just a matter of trimming the donor piece until it fits. Weld it in, grind it smooth, and you're done. From past experience, I know that those are a bitch to cut out of a car.