TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Repair and Re-cover Brown Dash Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
djkeev Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:37 am

I'd like to see how successful anyone has been with repairing sun damaged dash boards.

I've searched through this site but really didn't discover much reporting of repairs. I will be the first to admit that I may have over looked it, 105 pages pop up using the word "Dash". No real solutions....... Maybe no product exists to repair them?

I know that I'm not alone and have been PMing another member about repair efforts. He hasn't succeeded, I've not succeeded on my Beetle dash either.

This is what we face...... Dried alligator dash!....... This is MY native NE dash!

This is a neighbors van......... A California native until recently....... It's OK...... But far from WONDERFUL!!!!!
Is this the only real solution outside of sourcing a good used dash pad?.....

Two links that offer little to know help..........
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=355377&highlight=dash+repair

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=441057&highlight=dash+repair

Dave

Sir Sam Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:45 am

I've been thinking about this too recently. I wonder how hard it would be to vacuum form a new piece of vynil over the dash. Maybe even add some padding and cup holders. Plans for the future.

djkeev Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:51 am

One of the links I added mentions "I wish I had recovered it" but that's the end. A GREAT IDEA but..........
How does one do such a task?
What kind of material?
What kind of Adhesive?
What can you expect the end result to look like?

Dave

djkeev Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:01 am

61Scout just PM'ed me this link that I failed to notice........
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575351&highlight=

Which feeds into this link.........

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1865940-DIY-Cracked-Dashboard-Repair-Pic-Heavy

Thanks!

Dave

MarkWard Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:45 am

Ours predates the vinyl dash cover. Could it be removed and the metal dash cleaned and painted? I recall a picture where someone painted the dash to match the body color. It actually looked pretty nice if I remember. Here is ours no cover.

Mountain1.8t Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:54 am

How hard is it to remove the foam pad without destroying it, so you can just cover it in your material of choice? Maybe some kind of non-slip material?

Phishman068 Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:20 pm

There are no good used vinyl BROWN dash pads. The brown ones do that, the black ones do not!
I've never seen a crack in a black one, and never seen a nice brown one.

The foam pad does come off, and I took it to a few upholstery shops. 2/3 said they wouldn't do it, because they knew they wouldn't be able to get it to not wrinkle with all the complex curves. One said they would and would do it in multiple pieces, sewn together. $350 for leather. It will take 2 yards to do one dash, but that's enough to do 2 dashes.

ragnarhairybreeks Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:26 pm

'86 syncro with brown padded dash, no cracks.

I think the padding comes off. It looked that way when i had my dash off, did not seem to be totally glued down.

alistair

bluebus86 Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:12 pm

There are places that specialize in recovering old style dashboards. you send them your old dash, and it comes back al nice and new. They can do a vacuum process much like the factory did over the old dash, they can replace missing bits of foam and re=contour the foams shape before recovering. It wont be cheap, but a skilled place can do wonders.

You could convert to a black dash while you an still get them but that would not look that nice in a brown interior, kind of out of place.

Or as suggested, for now anyway get a brown dash shield. I have some other VW cars with cracked dashes and they have the dash carpet pad fix, looks fine.

BugaRu Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Dave.
It is extreamly rare to find a 1985-1986 Brown vinyl dash that is not sundried. Also rare to find any brown door pulls, handles, window cranks etc in brown that are not UV beat..

If you want Brown best to go with the earlier 1984 and downwards metal Dashes. Actually they are decent once cleaned up and never look like a dried river bed.

Or you could go Black. 1987-1991 years.. I have never really seen a badly cracked Black dash..

I have some of both, the Metal Brown Dashes, and Black Dashes if you wanted one.

BTW. Didn't you pick that Van up in SJ?

Uncle Lon Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Dave, as you know, I've been messing with this for a week - and I do mean MESSING! I tried SEM vinyl repair compound and then shot a brown coat of hammer finish paint for plastic. After a week inside a heated garage, the area is still tacky to the touch (and looks awful!) I'm gonna strip it all off and try again with a light body filler putty, but I've also ordered a carpet mat, you know, just in case.

I took care to cure the SEM with a heat gun, but it was hard to sand, being flexible. And it was expensive at 23 bucks for a 3 oz tube. I think the body filler will dry harder and that way, easier to sand and won't interfere with the paint being able to dry (the paint dried fine on a area not patched with SEM.)

Anyway, I'm ashamed to post this photo, but in the interest of 'I'll show you mine, since you showed me yours'...:

I'm also thinking of getting a used black dash and painting it with the hammer finish paint.

Lon

djkeev Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:11 pm

BugaRu wrote: .
Dave.
It is extreamly rare to find a 1985-1986 Brown vinyl dash that is not sundried. Also rare to find any brown door pulls, handles, window cranks etc in brown that are not UV beat..

If you want Brown best to go with the earlier 1984 and downwards metal Dashes. Actually they are decent once cleaned up and never look like a dried river bed.

Or you could go Black. 1987-1991 years.. I have never really seen a badly cracked Black dash..

I have some of both, the Metal Brown Dashes, and Black Dashes if you wanted one.

BTW. Didn't you pick that Van up in SJ?

Yes, Turnersville NJ

Dave

BugaRu Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 am

Dave
Yep, I knew that Van looked to familiar.. I was local to it.

He offered it to me several times, and I walked away from it several times.

Didn't you get the complete Parts Van with it, or rather the broken down Parts Van.

Spare 2.1 engine, Auto Trans, and most other items, doors, hatch, etc, complete Dash etc, etc, etc.
I could of had the complete package for $2800 but at the time I already had more Vans then I could hide from the Locals..

But shortly afterwards the Van prices jumped and I think he thought he had gold, and herd he began selling off parts.

Good Job, keep it going.

GMByers Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:14 pm

The dash on my 91 was faded bad. I simply took a bottle of black liquid Kiwi shoe dye - and "painted" with the foam applicator. No reason it shouldn't work for brown as well. Obviously won't cure the cracking, but at least it will be a solid color. Just my thoughts.......

MayorMcCheese Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Here's one way

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1865940-DIY-Cracked-Dashboard-Repair-Pic-Heavy

If you re-finish it remember it has to be UV stable

Syncroincity Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Get a good used black dash pad, and repaint it brown using VHT fabric & vinyl paint. You may have to order it, most FLAPS don't have the full range of colors

Terry Kay Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:05 pm

justdashes.com

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi0zbqNau-4

61Scout Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:44 pm

It just depends on how far you want to go. I'm in agreement with Syncroincity on this one in terms of the cost/outcome factor. Find a good black dash pad and paint it. The biggest problem with repairs that I see are the texture and sheen of the finished product.

As far as coloring goes, this is the next product I want to try:
http://www.colorbondpaint.com/

Friend of mine sent me the link the other day, says it's good stuff. I personally have no experience with it.

EDIT: All of this said, I'm going to try and repair the same cracks you guys have for my low budget '85 tin top. I just hope someone else figures out a solid technique before I get there ;)

Kevin

Terry Kay Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:41 pm

I'm sorry;
Somehow I always forget about the monetary limitations here.
I assume something that your going to have right front & center, one would want to be nice.

The dash.com folks seem to have that the correct top shelf appearance factor figured out.
I have no idea what it costs---didn't look, didn't ask, just reported on this A+ possibility.

Now, if your on the typical Vanagonland tight budget--here's a quick fix, and very inexpensive.

Contact cement some Wal Mart brown bathroom shag rug on the dash--
It'll be period correct anyway, and the cracks & the faded vinyl will dissapear-- all for about 10 bucks :roll:

I've got really nice dash on my 87.
Why?
I laid a Dash Mat on top of it years ago to keep it from getting UV fried.
Foresight I guess.

Alaric.H Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:31 am

The top foam top pops right out after you remove a few screws