TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: RIP Gordi Davis 1949-2013 Page: 1, 2  Next
moogie32 Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Wanted to spread the word that the VW world lost a mainstay last Saturday. Gordi Davis passed away unexpectedly at his home in New Hampshire. We've had the privilege of being good friends with Gordi for over 25 years and will miss him terribly.
A celebration of his life will be held at the Best Western in Keene, NH this Saturday Dec 7 from 11-3PM. All are invited.
RIP my friend....

bubblehead Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:17 am

Geez sorry to hear. I didn't know Gordi all that well but visited his shop(s) here and there over the years. Talked BS at shows etc. Always friendly ( a little hornery sometimes :wink: ). I think the last time i saw him was when he was out in Unity maybe, before he moved to Keene. His username here on TheSamba:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3986

WM971252 Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:17 am

There is a hole in the VW scene up here for sure now.

Stock Steve Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:21 am

WM971252 wrote: There is a hole in the VW scene up here for sure now.

For sure.

RIP Gordi.

EverettB Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:19 am

RIP.
Nice photo, he looks happy.

I never met him but I believe I bought parts from him a few times.

I noticed he has 5 ads, should I remove them from the site?

crukab Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:49 pm

Wow, that sucks.
I met Gordi in '85 when I moved to N.H. , He & John Hamill & Charlie Jordan were/are the Big Boys in Vws up in the Northeast.
R.I.P. Gordi....... :(

moogie32 Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:13 pm

EverettB wrote:

Hi Everett,
I guess you probably should remove those ads. His family will have to come to a decision as to how they want to deal with his belongings before things can be put up for sale....thanks for doing that.

EverettB Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:23 pm

moogie32 wrote: EverettB wrote:

Hi Everett,
I guess you probably should remove those ads. His family will have to come to a decision as to how they want to deal with his belongings before things can be put up for sale....thanks for doing that.

Ok. If they need any info from me regarding the ads or his account, email at any time.

EasternNotch Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:10 pm

OH this bums me out. I am originally from the Keene NH area and Gordi helped me many times with my old bugs and when I got my Notchback as well. He will be missed by many that is for sure.

mrlimbo Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:31 pm

crukab wrote: Wow, that sucks.
I met Gordi in '85 when I moved to N.H. , He & John Hamill & Charlie Jordan were/are the Big Boys in Vws up in the Northeast.
R.I.P. Gordi....... :(

Same for me Tom. I met Gordi in 1987. He will be missed.

moogie32 Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Some of Gordi's friends have asked if there are any charities that he was especially fond of to which donations in his memory could be made - I asked family members and they suggested two - a homeless shelter in Keene which is a relatively new organization that doesn't get much town support money-wise and the Keene Community kitchen. I remember admission to his fall foliage tours in the 90s being donations to the community Kitchen.
I'll include links to both below:

http://www.thecommunitykitchen.org/

http://hundrednightsinc.org/

Thanks to everyone who posted their kind words! I sent a link of this thread to his family and they were very appreciative.....

Stock Steve Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:03 am

Here are some Gordi references, starting with his obituary…

http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/obituaries/gord...31eae.html

http://keene-equinox.com/2013/12/ksc-loses-dc-icon-and-friend/

Also:

Gordi KSC article about his radio program: http://keene-equinox.com/2012/11/from-d-c-to-wknh-gordi-takes-on-keene/

Great image from the same radio program article: http://keene-equinox.com/wp-content/gallery/11-7-12-a-and-e/gordi_august.jpg

Great google image on a motorcycle: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-F3yx2OSXmss/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAB8/8f6kL5d7Ku4/photo.jpg

KSC alumni page: http://www.keene.edu/kst/classnotes.cfm?I=27&CNType=1&Decade=197

Quote from KSC alumni page:

<<...Gordi Davis writes: "After more than 40 years in the VW business, including opening my own shop in 1989, I have downsized and semi-retired to work on antique vehicles from April to September. This summer marks the completion of my fifth year at KSC dining services as a cashier. I enjoy long-distance excursions in the RV or on a Harley. I'm still in close contact with my pals from KSC. What a long, strange trip it's been."...>>

Stock Steve Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:48 am

Many great old images were displayed at the Gordi Davis memorial gathering, on Saturday, December 7th, 2013, in Keene, New Hampshire...

This is Gordi with his former magnificent original Inca Red '57 Convertible. Not sure on the year of this photo, but I'll guess late '80s or early '90s, and no idea of the location, nor who took the picture.

Believe the owner of a prominent VW & Corvette parts supplier located in "mid-America" now owns this vehicle...

Stock Steve Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:10 am

Many great old images were displayed at the Gordi Davis memorial gathering, on Saturday, December 7th, 2013, in Keene, New Hampshire...

This is Gordi with the '57, I believe a short time after he had acquired it, probably when he was still working as parts manager at the old Patriot Motors VW dealership in Keene (part of the building visible in the background; believe it's now a Mazda dealer, or something like that... EDIT: Just noticed the "Mazda" sign in the background, so I guess they retired the VW franchise there at some point).

Again, no real good handle on the year of the photo, but guessing late '80/early'90s, and no idea of the photographer.

Appears he put the wide whites & cool vanity plate on it (see the previous figure) at some point after he bought this superb '57. I think I recall his saying that he found the car at an estate auction.

crukab Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Thanks for the pic's/links Steve.
I recall Gordi & a Lady friend showing up at my House in Boscowan N.H. after a N.H.VW meeting, his mag wheel lugs were loose on the '57 vert, I didn't have a deep socket to do the job, so Gordi grabs an old T lug wrench, puts it in the vice & grinds it down to fit, problem solved .... :lol:

Stock Steve Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:44 pm

crukab wrote: Thanks for the pic's/links Steve.
I recall Gordi & a Lady friend showing up at my House in Boscowan N.H. after a N.H.VW meeting, his mag wheel lugs were loose on the '57 vert, I didn't have a deep socket to do the job, so Gordi grabs an old T lug wrench, puts it in the vice & grinds it down to fit, problem solved .... :lol:

That's a great story, crukab! I remember that resourceful, "can-do" spirit also with Gordi! I think we are all richer for having known him! Thanks again for chipping in with that.

WM971252 Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:43 am

Stock Steve wrote: Many great old images were displayed at the Gordi Davis memorial gathering, on Saturday, December 7th, 2013, in Keene, New Hampshire...

This is Gordi with his former magnificent original Inca Red '57 Convertible. Not sure on the year of this photo, but I'll guess late '80s or early '90s, and no idea of the location, nor who took the picture.

Believe the owner of a prominent VW & Corvette parts supplier located in "mid-America" now owns this vehicle...

Great pictures..... I never saw a tie on him before :lol:

Something about this picture screams to us a Fall Foliage Show at John's. Of course the green trees shot that one down a bit .

Stock Steve Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:23 am

WM971252 wrote: Stock Steve wrote: Many great old images were displayed at the Gordi Davis memorial gathering, on Saturday, December 7th, 2013, in Keene, New Hampshire...

Great pictures..... I never saw a tie on him before :lol:

Something about this picture screams to us a Fall Foliage Show at John's. Of course the green trees shot that one down a bit .

Hi Clay,

Yes, the "tie" photos do seem to be pretty rare!

He drove that car a fair amount while he had it, I believe, and I know for a fact that he once drove it to one of the old VVWCA Spring Meets in Orangeburg, NY--pretty decent drive coming from Na'Hampsha.

So, no telling where that car show photo was taken--at least as far as my knowledge. I would *guess* also not one of the old Fall Foliage Jumbles in back of John's shop in Vermont, due to the t-shirt attire...

Stock Steve Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Back when 4EVER4 was still located in Marlow, Gordi had a helper named Eric for a while, who was a cool, kinda laid-back cat. They made an interesting pair--and also made for one hell of a classic photo.

This large, framed black & white print of Eric and Gordi is one of my favorites, and was displayed at the memorial gathering. No idea of year or who the photographer was, but the location I am pretty sure is the former 4EVER4 headquarters on Route 10 in Marlow, NH.

I may have taken the small print at the lower left, which shows Gordi and Eric having some fun posing with an old decrepit Dodge towtruck that I think Gordi owned for a little while, and they are right at the edge of Route 10, and the house at the right I think was Gordi's and adjoined the 4EVER4 workshop.

Stock Steve Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:33 am

This is a great picture of Gordi and his family member Jennifer, who lives in California. That is Gordi's Studebaker pickup truck in the background of this fantastic image, with, I guess you could say, a bit of a "Green Acres" flavor.

I know Jennifer, her sister Kimberly, and their families all miss Gordi terribly.