TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How to fix this...
supersuk Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:40 pm

I have a 68 fastback that i'm restoring and found this collision damage to the driver side of the front apron. Looks like the previous owner rear ended someone. The driver side of the front apron is pushed in and down about an 1/8 of an inch each way. Before I tackle this job, I wanted to get some opinions on techniques that I could use to do the repair. The body is currently off the chassis and on a rolling stand. My first though to repair this was to use a hammer, dolly, and some heat. I thought about using a come-along, but don't know how I should mount it because I don't wanna do any further damage.

I would really like to avoid having to remove the front apron if possible. Any advice would be appreciated!

If you're thinking about the bondo, then yes, the previous owner put about an 1/8" - 1/4" of bondo to build the surface back up I now have the awesome task of taking off everything. =(

This picture shows how the front apron is pushed in and the side is bowing out a little.

This next picture shows the amount its bowing out. It should actually be straight.

danny gabbard Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Make some type of blunt chisel and drive edge out where it needs to be, Check with straight edge. Then straighten outer skin. Always think of waded up sheet metal like a accordian or bellows , Need to get length back in panel before you work on the bumps or dents. Hope that make's since.

supersuk Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks for the tip Danny! I do have a blunt chisel that I can use. I'll try massage it back in with that.