TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mild 1800 stroker build
bossboy302 Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Going to pull stock '71 dp for a freshen-up. Will upgrade to cw crank, light flywheel, and good balance. (for smoothness), 100 cam. Plan to keep stock heat box/exhaust, and slightly 'worked' 34-pict-3. Just need a good stocker...
Then I read ACN's 1800 (74 x 88). Seems like the incremental costs are almost negligible, (+ $40 crank/rods, p&c is push, +$100 for L3 heads (over rebuilding my stockers, if they're good). So as I see it, I get 13.5% larger motor, more torque, better rod-ratio, more low-end, and an 'easy' build for a couple hundred extra $$. I know, it's hardly a go-fast big motor, but with
3.88's in a '71 SB, should be a decent, economical cruiser with some noticeable grunt….unless I'm missing something...

Quokka42 Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:50 am

Do it. There's a bit more work involved, but taking the extra time with your engine is worth it anyway. You will enjoy the motor a lot more than a stocker.

vwracerdave Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:47 am

My opinion is a stock carb is not big enough for a stock engine. I would build a 1600 with dual IDF's before I'd build a larger stroker engine with a stock carb. A 1600 with dual IDF's, L3 heads, W-110 cam, and 1 3/8" header will surprise you.

VW also made a huge mistake using the 3.88 R&P gear with the SB. Replace it with a 4.12 and it will wake it up. A '71 SB originally came with a 4.12

Alstrup Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am

vwracerdave wrote: My opinion is a stock carb is not big enough for a stock engine. I would build a 1600 with dual IDF's before I'd build a larger stroker engine with a stock carb. A 1600 with dual IDF's, L3 heads, W-110 cam, and 1 3/8" header will surprise you.

VW also made a huge mistake using the 3.88 R&P gear with the SB. Replace it with a 4.12 and it will wake it up. A '71 SB originally came with a 4.12

Dave. You need to read up on your litterature. The 34 PICT can easily support more power and more displacement. Granted, a set of duals is an easy way to improove the breathing and get 10-15% better power. IF you know how to deal with duals. And if we should get down that road, why stop at the W110 then, when there are so many better choices for the displacement. (I know it is a popular cam, but for the life of me, I dont see why, especially not today, where the choices are multiple)

Bossboy
A well built 1800 cc engine with a modified stock carb can produce an easy 80 - 85 hp and good torque. It wohnt rev as high as a dual carb set up, but itīll pull.
ACN L3īs could be a decent choice for a lower budget build. Cam choice needs to be determined when you figure out what you really want. If you decide to get off the main stream there are a couple of very good cams for what you are considering. The W series is not included here.
If you decide to go "stock carb" for now, you can always upgrade to duals and get good results, but it is significantly harder go the other way if the cam choice is wrong.

T