TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Kindly help identify this VW beetle
dcwheels Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:42 pm

I am new to this forum and planning to own a VW beetle.
The present owner claims it to be a 1971,original right hand drive.
Kindly have a look ae t the pictures and help me identify originality of the vehicle.
I would be thankful to members to help me give pointers in identifying this vehicle.Pictures posted in my gallery.
Thanks all.
Regards
DCwheels

pondoras box Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:47 am

Four bolt wheels
low back seats
over rider bumpers
no vent behind rear quarter windows
thin trim
I cant really tell on the deck lid if its a 67 or a 68 from the angle but no vents and a non stock VW logo placement?
Definitely a right hand drive dash in it, whether its stock or not?

Where is this car, did Mexican or Brazilian models come right hand drive?

Glenn Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:51 am

what's the VIN?

dcwheels Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:06 am

Its in India.There surely is a vent present in the front,hidden by the front bumper. Even I had it in mind it should be 67 or 68.shall try to post some more pictures in detail and also the VIN number/ plate.

79SuperVert Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:10 am

The over rider bumpers look like they were added on to a later car. The supports for the over riders usually go through the apron, not the fenders. So it could still be a '71.

The apparent sag of both doors is cause for concern.

dcwheels Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:21 am

Very keen observation on the bumper supports!
What is the sag on the doors mean? Could you please explain it and what would be the way to correct it?

79SuperVert Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:46 am

If you look at the chrome strip on either door you can see how it is lower on the door than on the body. This could mean the doors are not lined up properly. That can be caused by rust along the bottom under the door openings, which if it is advanced enough can weaken the body and cause the doors to no longer line up properly.

I'm just saying that you want to check thoroughly for rust everywhere on the car, because if it is causing the doors to sag then that's a substantial repair that needs to be made.

Zarana-X Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:30 am

Euro Spec cars kept the early style tail lamps & turnsignals, lowback seats, swingaxle transmission, and blade bumpers. The overrider bumpers are confusing.

You can see the indentation at the rear of the 1/4 window where 1971 and up US cars had a vent. Mexican, and I think Brazilian, Beetles are like this, too.