TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: little help with toe in
ORANGECRUSHer Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Anyone have a reliable method to adjust rear toe in.
I tried painting the tread and scoring a line in it but the off road tread makes a straight line hard to achieve. Not to mention all the frame work in the way to measure across the front of the tires.
This is the first time I've tried to adjust toe in let alone on a buggy.

LyonMan Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:31 pm

I have used a couple of techniques for setting rear toe. The one I come back to is simple. I use a bungee cord to attach a piece of square tubing to the side of the each rear tire. The 5-6 foot long tubing extends behind the buggy and makes it easy to measure the difference at two places roughly 24 inches apart. With zero toe the tubing would measure parallel.

Hope that makes sense.

utahclaimjumper Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:34 am

That method COULD work, but you need to reference the centerline of the vehicle or you could end up DOGTRACKING.>>>Dan

58Dub Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:47 am

Ive used a plumb-bob and drop the center line of the tire to a mark on the floor and drop a center line for the vehicle to the floor. from there its jsut a matter of making adjustments and measuring.

Vanapplebomb Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:10 am

58Dub wrote: Ive used a plumb-bob and drop the center line of the tire to a mark on the floor and drop a center line for the vehicle to the floor. from there its jsut a matter of making adjustments and measuring.

That is pretty slick. I may have to try this for myself :wink:

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:48 am

LyonMan wrote: I have used a couple of techniques for setting rear toe. The one I come back to is simple. I use a bungee cord to attach a piece of square tubing to the side of the each rear tire. The 5-6 foot long tubing extends behind the buggy and makes it easy to measure the difference at two places roughly 24 inches apart. With zero toe the tubing would measure parallel.

Hope that makes sense.

This was going to be my next attempt :)

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:52 am

58Dub wrote: Ive used a plumb-bob and drop the center line of the tire to a mark on the floor and drop a center line for the vehicle to the floor. from there its jsut a matter of making adjustments and measuring.

This sounds easy enough to do also. But finding the tire's center might be a little bit of a guess on knobby tires. Holding tube up to the side would also be a bit of a guess since the side wall tread would be influencing how the tube sits. But I really only need to get it close to zero. +/-1* would be nice.

thanks for the suggestions I'm going to givem a try

andk5591 Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:11 am

I made a set of "side plates" some time ago for setting toe. You still have to get a refernce for the car centerline. But I cut 2 pieces on 6"x 25" shelving and attached them to "legs" that hold them off the ground a few inches. What you do it set them against the outside side of the tire. The legs keep them up beyond any bulge on the bottom of the tire so you have a flat surface to measure from the outside on one tire to the outside of the other.

Take 2 tape measures and lay them across - one in front and one behind the rear tires. You can measure and then adjust.

Dale M. Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:08 am

andk5591 wrote: I made a set of "side plates" some time ago for setting toe. You still have to get a refernce for the car centerline. But I cut 2 pieces on 6"x 25" shelving and attached them to "legs" that hold them off the ground a few inches. What you do it set them against the outside side of the tire. The legs keep them up beyond any bulge on the bottom of the tire so you have a flat surface to measure from the outside on one tire to the outside of the other.

Take 2 tape measures and lay them across - one in front and one behind the rear tires. You can measure and then adjust.

This method will work really fine.... I use a a couple of aluminum plates and two old rulers that no longer go back in their cases (all the have to do is lay on floor anyway).........

GOOGLE "toe plates"...

Dale