TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ok got some pics of my new rail and some more questions! Page: 1, 2  Next
drb1984 Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:06 pm

drb1984 Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:07 pm

drb1984 Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:07 pm

spize909 Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Nice buggy.
Any side full side shots? That frame looks like mine (not in the avater). Do you know what frame it is?

drb1984 Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:13 pm

ok there are the pics. Now some questions. I have posted a little on here about some of the issues I am having with flat spots, rough idling, timing way off, etc. I brought the car into a local shop and they suggested a new distributor, I purchased and had installed pertronix SVDA and pertronix coil. Had the existing carb dialed in and all installed and timing set correctly and idling was much better! Still flat spots and have to depress the gas pedal all the way to get it to start now. I have an EMPI 34 pict-3 carb and thinking this might be contributing to some of my issues. I just ordered a brand new rebuilt solex 34 pict-3 from Tim on this site and hoping that corrects some more of my issues. But now I am reading about pre heating and exhausts and realize my aftermarket exhausts have no preheat tubes and have flanges blocking them off. Forgive me as I don't know much at all about these engines and setups this is my first VW ever and have a lot to learn. I tried snapping some pics showing this problem and it appears where these risers/tubes went into manifold has also either been cut off and welded shut or something. Can anyone tell me what is going on here and if this issue can be corrected or even needs to be. Thanks!

drb1984 Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:15 pm

I was told the frame was a berrien warrior. I will get some more pics tomorrow when its light out in the driveway. I posted these tonight for some questions I had.

spize909 Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:31 pm

no problem.
I think the answer to your carb issue is duals......but I'm not much of a VW guy. 8)

drb1984 Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Well, I just purchased a new carb and the svda distributor is meant to be paired with a stock carb setup so duals I think are out. I think I might just need a new intake manifold.

doom buggy Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:50 pm

thats a berrien warrior,i have the same frame on mine.i run a pic 30/31 carb on mine.when i got the rail it had a 009 dist on it with points.ran like crap with flat spots and poor starting.i went to autozone and they had a new svda dist with electronic ign and a modern style coil for abot $125.put it in and all is great now,starts like its fuel injected,great power,NO flat spots at all,i run the single carb with no preheat at all.runs fine even when cold.

Art.b Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:53 pm

I second the "DUALS" solution but a new manifold with the preheat tubes intact and connected in place of the flange block offs would help get you going in the right direction. yours are cut off in the pic. When you remove the block offs you may have to drill out the passages to get them working. good luck!

drb1984 Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:04 pm

what advantage would I have going duals? just that I wouldn't need pre heat tubes and a new manifold? Any other benefits?

71StandardReduction Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:26 pm

I believe they are referring to your "DUALS" exhaust system as being the problem.
Also, IMO with the dual free flowing exhaust system you have way too much flow going out than what's coming into your engine through the stock carb.
I would look into an exhaust with a 4 into 1 merged collector, possibly with a muffler of some sort. Perhaps the common quiet pack exhaust system.
I'm certain you would notice a power increase with a little back pressure too.
Try looking at the tri mil exhausts.

drb1984 Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:56 pm

OHHHHH. I gotcha guys. Yeah I have been looking at a new exhaust. Thanks for the help guys.

drb1984 Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:11 pm

the tri mil exhausts say they are designed to work only with heater boxes. Newbie question here, what is a heater box and do I have them?

71StandardReduction Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:37 pm

You don't have any heater boxes, the are for sedans with heat and are just a heat exchangers that create the heat that is blown into the passenger area.

The exhausts for heat is called the tri mil bobtails. Look for tri mil "bob cat"
Like so:
http://www.socalautoparts.com/advanced_search_resu...=0&y=0

drb1984 Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:47 pm

ok, thank you. Also, I am looking up new intake manifolds and it appears there are different mm sizes. The part number on my current manifold is 113.129.701AN and its an original manifold. Its a shame someone hacked off the heater tubes as this thing is in real nice shape. Now I am left to go aftermarket but not sure which mm to buy. I am running across 30mm and 34mm, does this correspond to carb. If im planning on running a solex 34 pict-3 orginal german carb I assume Im going for a 34mm manifold correct?

71StandardReduction Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Where are you looking at for the manifold?
If you post the website ill go look and see what you're talking about.
The only one I've found so far is the universal manifold for either carb but no mm size specifications.