TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Summer road trip video to Yellowstone Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
71whitewesty Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:21 am

Well it took a bit longer this year to get this together. It's been a busy year. Although we took many shorter trips this summer in the bus, I just used our longest trip to Yellowstone for the video. In all we camped at least 30 nights in the Bus this summer. Just me and the kids mostly but my wife did joined us for over half of the campouts. :) I did take just the kids on a 10 day trip down central Oregon and then over to the southern Oregon coast so that I could do a windsurfing contest. Just the kids and I, 4 and 7 and it was an epic time.
As I've said before, the bus is so good for the family time. We all have so much fun on these trips. We don't make any reservations and try and keep things flexible since we have everything we need in the Bus. It beats the heck out of staying in Motels.
And the Bus, well it's been amazing. Running fantastic, especially after meeting with Colin early summer. I don't think my wife even knows that these can have a reputation for breaking down. In the 5 years that we've owned this bus we've put 50,000 miles on it and haven't needed a tow or a shop once. I do fiddle with it in the driveway a lot like a lot of us do but it's been as dependable as any car I've had.
So here we go, I'll post up a few photos first and put the video link below. Nothing fancy on the video by the way, I'm an amateur but all was shot on a Gopro camera other than the stills.

Jackson Hole watching the daily town "Shoot out"

Teaching the kids to cook with out using dishes

Magical sunsets

The menu is limited but good.

And the video!

https://vimeo.com/82434901

Get those Westys out camping!
And thanks for all the help from this forum, it has made these trips possible and practical. :D

TomWesty Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:16 am

Great vid. I love my '71. Yours is way nicer though. By the way.."fahren nur mit verriegelter schiebetür!" :wink:

airschooled Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:39 am

TomWesty wrote: Great vid. I love my '71. Yours is way nicer though. By the way.."fahren nur mit verriegelter schiebetür!" :wink:

nein nein nein....

When you're having such an amazing adventure with such an awesome family, you're alowed to fahren with the schiebetür however you want.

Amazing video!

TomWesty Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:47 am

Agreed, hence the wink 8)

nwester Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:15 am

Great video, thanks for sharing! Amateur videographer you say? That was edited wonderfully :). Nice job.

udidwht Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Nice video...but the kids look a bit big for the car seat use.

BUSBOSS Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:22 am

udidwht wrote: ...but the kids look a bit big for the car seat use. :roll:

Boesen Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:24 am

Like your previous videos, beautiful scenery of the trip, smiling faces of your family, and good music. Excellent job once again!

71whitewesty Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:41 am

udidwht wrote: Nice video...but the kids look a bit big for the car seat use.

Well state law says they have to be in a seat like this until they're 40 lbs and my daughter is 35 and my son is 42lbs. Skinny buggers. I think it's safer to have them in the seats than just a lap belt for now. Safety first right.... :wink:

Tomwesty, I don't know what the translation is for the German....? Someone, please fill me in.

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm ready for some more camping, winter or summer.... :D

nwester Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:47 am

TomWesty wrote: Great vid. I love my '71. Yours is way nicer though. By the way.."fahren nur mit verriegelter schiebetür!" :wink:

Translation: only drive with sliding door locked

TomWesty Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:53 am

nwester wrote: TomWesty wrote: Great vid. I love my '71. Yours is way nicer though. By the way.."fahren nur mit verriegelter schiebetür!" :wink:

It should be on a sticker near your steering wheel, the German warning that is, not the translation. I saw the one shot through the sliding door and figured I would give a hard time about it. I like the shot of the antler arch in Jackson. For a Wyoming guy that is a classic.

GeorgeO. Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:25 am

Beautiful Bus, Beautiful Family, Great video. Only wish my kids were young enough to go on an adventure like that. I envy you. :bay_white:

WestyPop Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Family - Camping - VW Bus! Can't get any better than that IMO.

Great pics & video. Thanks for sharing.

ultralite Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Always look forward to your video, thanks for posting.

We just got back today from taking our '69 down to one of Florida's barrier islands for a long weekend. Pics tomorrow maybe I'm exhausted from driving 8 hours in rain.

Great video and pics!

71whitewesty Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:24 am

TomWesty wrote: nwester wrote: TomWesty wrote: Great vid. I love my '71. Yours is way nicer though. By the way.."fahren nur mit verriegelter schiebetür!" :wink:

It should be on a sticker near your steering wheel, the German warning that is, not the translation. I saw the one shot through the sliding door and figured I would give a hard time about it. I like the shot of the antler arch in Jackson. For a Wyoming guy that is a classic.

:lol: oh yes, of course! I do have that sticker near the wheel. That's about the only time I drive with the sliding door open. :D

Tom Powell Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:14 pm

TomWesty wrote: nwester wrote: TomWesty wrote: Great vid. I love my '71. Yours is way nicer though. By the way.."fahren nur mit verriegelter schiebetür!" :wink:

It should be on a sticker ...

warning and assist strap

Aloha
tp

Conquest Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:09 pm

udidwht wrote: Nice video...but the kids look a bit big for the car seat use.

WTF? Why would you make that comment? Weird.

71whitewesty wrote: Well state law says they have to be in a seat like this until they're 40 lbs and my daughter is 35 and my son is 42lbs. Skinny buggers. I think it's safer to have them in the seats than just a lap belt for now. Safety first right.... :wink:

Consider yourself lucky for being in a state with a modicum of common sense. Here in the Peoples Republic of California, kids are supposed to be in car seats until they're 8 or just under 5' tall.

8. Could you imagine having to ride to school in a car seat when you're in elementary school?

chabanais Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Nice trip!

I drove there, too. Loved it.

Here's my Bus at the KOA with the Devil's Tower:

justcruzin Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks to your post, I am getting a Gopro camera for Christmas. :D I love your video, excellent job on it. Looks like you all had a great time. :D

curtis4085 Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:46 am

Excellent adventure. The video is very relaxing, almost felt I wet on vacation for a moment. Thanks for sharing.