TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: out in left field spot for spare tire Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
alaskadan Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Ok bear with me here. I've been pondering all of the usual places spares are being put. Don't like the swing away rear bumper mount because this is going to be my daily driver and I'm in and out of the rear hatch way too much. Oversize rims/tires mean modifying the stock carrier which is fine other than I'd rather have a hingeable 1/4" skid plate up there and I don't know,,, surplus beer storage or something. Flat tires are a part of life on my road. Every year. Graders plow the road and break off sharp pcs of steel as well as fracturing rocks into sharp shards. I want easy access to my spare without laying on the ground and without losing convenience in any other aspects. So I'm thinking really hard about cutting a hole in the drivers side wall behind the pillar and welding in a recessed steel well. Think about it. The wall thickness from sheet metal outside to the panel on the inside is probably between 2-4" as it gets deeper from the floor up. So if the tire projects out past the outer bodyline an inch or so, it won't go into the cabin space past the panel more than 3" or so. I'll never have a permanent full set of westy camper cabs in it either so not a consideration. As for surplus beer, when the rest of the beer is gone I WILL lay on my back in the slush to get it. Thoughts..?

goffoz Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:50 pm

So damn easy....takes me like 3seconds .....I don't see your issues???
The under the front spare .. :roll: .

snowsyncro Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:18 am

I have seen that very thing done. There are pictures somewhere so you can see what it looks like. Maybe someone will know where they are.

RonC

uncommonvw Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:27 am

The hinged panel on the side of the van is an interesting idea although adding a hole to the side of the van is inviting another area for rust to start.

Have you thought of mounting it to the front of the van similar to the Bay window VW? Very easy to access. Put a cover over it to keep it out of the elements.

dhaavers Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:38 am

At least some bay window Westys put the spare inside the van,
in a cabinet behind the driver's seat. Same difference...no cutting.

alaskadan Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:27 am

Still a no on the swing away. With me being a contractor I'm really using the back alot. Plus in the winter 3 seconds plus the time to get snow off it first. My 73 bay window had the spare on the front which I liked. But the syncro is water cooled, don't want to block off radiator. I originally was thinking of a well with an outer cover but now I'm kind of leaning towards a steel well that a little more than 3/4 of the spare would sit in it. Have a locking center hub assembly to hold it in. It would look militaryish. I agree about any holes can pose rust potential but I have the skill to do it properly. The added weight on the drivers side will eventually be compensated for with a sub deck tool box just inside slider door. Now where can I find a steel one pc stamped tire well. Searched a bit last night to no avail.

pedrokrusher Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:32 am

Thats the solution for you, look down at this page for a front spare wheel. I really don't think you should worry with the front radiator in Alaska. On the other hand in Arizona...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575358&start=60

edit: and please please please don't put your spare tire on the side... Its freakin ugly. I looked for a picture on the net but could not find it.

Christopher Schimke Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:45 am

Christopher Schimke Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:47 am

pedrokrusher Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:01 am

^^^ OMG!!! ^^^

Christopher, how did you find these eye sores?

dhaavers Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:03 am

Uff da. "WOS" fodder...

alaskadan Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:16 am

Re: eyesores I hear ya. Asthetically I guess its about what I pictured. It looks like he flanged the opening out, I would have it just seamlessly roll in. Maybe if his van was finished and painted will look better?.. Funtionally it looks great. No huge loss of interior space by the looks of it. Not sure about the A-Team van, though it looks to be well done. Custom tempered glass for each side $$$$.

djkeev Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:17 am

pedrokrusher wrote: Thats the solution for you, look down at this page for a front spare wheel. I really don't think you should worry with the front radiator in Alaska...............

Boy! My thought exactly! Maybe a few days in the Summer it MIGHT be of concern?

Dave

furrylittleotter Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:45 am

What the HELL is lurking under that backseat?!!!

Christopher Schimke Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Crankey Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:04 pm

yeah what is that big tank for !?

you could just keep a can of fix-a-flat...much smaller notch to cut for that :lol:

or buy run flat tires ?

nice pics Chris :!:

joetiger Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Nice set of Ronal R9's, though.

I think that's a big LPG tank under the seat?

syncrodoka Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:12 pm

joetiger wrote: I think that's a big LPG tank under the seat?
That is what it looks like.
Running engines on LP is something that people more commonly do on the other side of the pond.

Jake de Villiers Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey Dan, is there a reason the spare can't go into the luggage rack/on the roof?

WestyBob Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:58 pm

If I had concerns about putting the spare on the front, under the front or in the back, I guess in that example I'd put it right on the front slope of that hightop. Nothing else there even though it would still be fugly. Might as well put two up there even :shock: