TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear apron
just my type 3 Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Am I the only one that doesn't like the way the rear apron on the 72 fastback looks. I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate or hide. Any suggestions. Saw some guy who painted the bottom rear apron below the rear bumper black so it doesn't stand out like it does when its the same color of the car.

Woreign Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:39 pm

I don't like it either, but I think the big square bumper does a great job of hiding it!

I remember seeing a photo where someone had replaced the apron with a smooth piece of metal. It looked a lot better...

GjMan Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:43 am

The apron on my 69 was so mangled by the PO I cut it off entirely. Looks pretty good with a nicely painted engine and ceramic-coated exhaust system. Plus I don't need to raise the car as high to pull the engine.

squaretobehip Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:01 am

When they're actually straight and proper, they look pretty cool.

Yabbadubbadoo Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:21 pm

squaretobehip wrote: When they're actually straight and proper, they look pretty cool.
+1

It is the most bent up panel on the car. Precisely why you should at least try to own a straight one. I found it very difficult to locate a pristine one. Had to settle for one that required a little work but luckily not severely bent through the indentations. As I have found out, once those indents are deformed they are near impossible to fix.

colineunson Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:45 am

i made a smooth panel for mine.

(car has OTT exhaust on it now so it exits out the stock location, stinger was just for fun one weekend :) )

Bobnotch Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:51 am

Before;

And after;

I should point out, that the apron above replaced the old 1 that was drilled and filled with bondo (below) by the PO (not Neil).

If you really look, you'll see that the replacement part was from a Square, and it was installed on a Notch. :twisted:

1NotchUp Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:28 pm

I like the apron enough to do this to it.
And its a squarback apron as well, im glad they can still be found. :D

Yabbadubbadoo Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:43 pm

colineunson wrote: i made a smooth panel for mine.

(car has OTT exhaust on it now so it exits out the stock location, stinger was just for fun one weekend :) )

Have to say that looks good. Nice job.
The stinger is cool too.

I had trouble locating the whole rear panel and sometimes you just have to make a call to keep things moving forward so we stitched a lower section I found at a wrecker just under the seam of the air box and the fold line.

Yabbadubbadoo Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:02 am

Just a quick question. What's the normal thing for mounting the license plate? I have two small holes for mounting a bracket behind the license plate to the apron. All the shots I've seen above nobody seems to have any holes whatsoever. Is it just that the holes aren't drilled yet or am I missing something?

Mike Fisher Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:47 am

You are probably looking at what were squareback aprons where the license plate is mounted on the hatch instead.

Yabbadubbadoo Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:16 am

Mike Fisher wrote: You are probably looking at what were squareback aprons where the license plate is mounted on the hatch instead.

Ah that makes sense!

Pelle Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:16 am

Notchback, Squareback, Fastback 66-69

just my type 3 Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:27 am

thanks for all the feedback and pics will post when I figure out which way to go!!

dragsters for life Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:18 pm

i painted mine black on my white notch

Tram Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:57 pm

OK, I'll say it... It's a Fastback and you're worried about the apron??? :)

Yabbadubbadoo Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:17 pm

Tram wrote: OK, I'll say it... It's a Fastback and you're worried about the apron??? :)