TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Parts Cleaner Page: 1, 2  Next
DirtyCossack Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:02 am

In your opinion, what is the best way to clean engine parts, tins, etc during a rebuild?

ned Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:05 am

I use " Oil eater " garage floor cleaner. O reillys sells it in gallon jugs.

rustbus Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:06 am

how much money are you looking to spend?

I bought a little parts cleaner tub with pump at the local,works great for small parts.

big parts, fans, tins, etc works good at the pressure washer/car wash.

if youre looking to spend, take all the paintable parts down to the media blasters, they can clean and paint/powder them like new...otherwise tins a pain to clean since its too big for a small parts washing tub, and the pressure washer mostly just sprays back in your face

Convoy Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:09 am

We use a Citrus based degreaser in our Laboratory to remove asphalt from our testing equipment. Its called Big Orange E by Zep. I figured if its powerful enough to eat through asphalt binder then it can degrease oily parts. I've used it with great success.

airkooledchris Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:25 am

put it all in a big box and take it to your local machine shop to be dipped and then media blasted. If you can afford it, have it powder coated as well, otherwise just paint it at home afterward.

I think I had all of my tins and fan housing/etc dipped and blasted for under $100.

busdaddy Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:27 am

Careful with some of those citrus cleaners, they don't play well with rubber parts.
I use:
Simple green
Gunk engine brite
Stoddard solvent
Super clean
oven cleaner
mag wheel cleaner
Elbow grease

Tcash Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:39 am

Hi
I would take them to a machine shop. That has both of these.
For the tins.
Turntable System
For the Engine parts, oil galley plugs removed.
DIP Agitation Cleaning System
Final cleaning before assembly. Use Denatured Alcohol, with lint free rags.
Note, it is up to you to clean parts after they have been machined.

Convoy Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:12 pm

busdaddy wrote: Careful with some of those citrus cleaners, they don't play well with rubber parts.
I use:
Simple green
Gunk engine brite
Stoddard solvent
Super clean
oven cleaner
mag wheel cleaner
Elbow grease

Excellent point BD,The degreaser I mentioned will eat through rubber or anything petroleum based.

SGKent Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:13 pm

glass bead machine from HF with compressor and quality beads plus vac. For grease find a used on like the link below and offer something like $75 to $100 used if it works. Most older ones use safety-kleen - stoddard solvent, mineral spirits. The new ones use water based solvents.

http://lawton.craigslist.org/pts/4188468484.html

busdaddy Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:28 pm

SGKent wrote: The new ones use water based solvents.
I've seen a few guys using the water based ones, they work pretty good if the tank has a heater and you let it soak.

webwalker Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:06 pm

busdaddy wrote: SGKent wrote: The new ones use water based solvents.
I've seen a few guys using the water based ones, they work pretty good if the tank has a heater and you let it soak.

I second that. The Oil-Eater product mentioned above is water based and works quite well, but work REALLY well when you keep a part or piece really wet, or make sure your work piece that you're cleaning is nice and warm.

I've set some horrid oil-corndog covered component on a sheet of aluminum on my kerosene heater and in about 20-30 minutes, I'll move the part to another work area and spray liberally with Oil-Eater. Scrub. Wipe loosened goo from part, repeat. Works remarkably well, and because the Oil-Eater is non-flammable, I don't run the risk of setting my part, my garage, my bus and myself on fire just because I'm using burning kerosene for heat.

M

Cheron Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:08 pm

I use diesel or kerosene. Works well!

germansupplyscott Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Cheron wrote: I use diesel or kerosene. Works well!

for a low-cost method of parts cleaning, a plastic pail filled with diesel is hard to beat. diesel is a really effective degreaser. if parts are not getting painted it's very good, if you're painting afterwards make sure to degrease with something else.

aeromech Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:58 pm

Small parts are cleaned in an oil pan using gasoline. Bigger parts are cleaned using Simple Green. Sometimes I'll boil a pan of water and mix the Simple Green in and use a brush. Then other times I break out the Alkota Steam Cleaner.

SGKent Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Quote: cleaned in an oil pan using gasoline.

MrVWGuy Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:51 pm

aeromech wrote: Small parts are cleaned in an oil pan using gasoline

dumb. dumb. dumb.

webwalker Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:01 pm

MrVWGuy wrote: aeromech wrote: Small parts are cleaned in an oil pan using gasoline

dumb. dumb. dumb.

While smoking a cigarette...and reading MAD magazine. :lol:

Glenn Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:04 pm

I use Safety Kleen.

notchboy Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:28 pm

SGKent wrote: Quote: cleaned in an oil pan using gasoline.

Isnt this kinda like a Darwinism? People getting hurt from using gas seem to be the ones that take walks on freeways, put their hand into flame, point a gun at their own head??

And I bet you guys text while driving too. :roll:

airschooled Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:04 pm

notchboy wrote: SGKent wrote: Quote: cleaned in an oil pan using gasoline.

[img]

Isnt this kinda like a Darwinism? People getting hurt from using gas seem to be the ones that take walks on freeways, put their hand into flame, point a gun at their own head??

And I bet you guys text while driving too. :roll:

I think there's a difference between safely using dangerous chemicals and blindly piloting a brick around others who pay the same amount of attention :?