TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Let there be LIGHT! Page: 1, 2  Next
Stuartzickefoose Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:27 am

Hey yall! Been slowly making my 78 westy more and more offroad ready and im currently working on lighting. Curious if you would mind posting up pics of the driving/fog/flood lights you are rnning, cost if you know it, and if easy to do, a pic in use. Also would love to know what lights to avoid if anyone has info like that to share.

Dale M. Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:58 am

First thing I did on my JEEP was change standard incandescent (sealed beam) headlights to H4 type Halogen bulbs and lenses... Have had H4 lenses and bulbs on my FG buggy for years.... Love them...

Made a world of difference, about a 200% improvement is night driving... IF you have old style sealed beams upgrade those first before investing is any auxiliary lighting....

Dale

takotruckin Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:17 am

No pics of my own, but the new LED light bars are a really big bang for the buck for off-road lighting.

77charger Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:05 am

Heres my set up its a 30 inch combo flood/spot beam.Its one of the import bars and been happy with it so far beam patteren is pretty good as well.I previously had 3 7inch HID lights up top but wanted to something lower and sleeker.

The HIDs did work better while using less power 100 watts for 3 vs 180 watts for LED bar.But the LED bars is not far behind

Brian Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Doing the H4 conversion is great. After that HIDs are awesome, and they work a whole lot better than my HarborFreight off-road lights.

I took it to the next level and found some LED halo H4 projector housings and these things are amazing.

I found them on ebay and they drop in to late model housings. But they don't exactly fit, I was able to use the stock retainer screws but longer ones would work a lot nicer.

Island Bumpkin Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:27 pm

X2 on conversion, and also on the projector/hid combo. I've got the same setup as lustig69 in my DD truck. Makes a world of difference. As with all HID's, you get what you pay for.

LED light bars are great. One of my buddies has 2 on his jeep, a small spot and a wide flood, plus 4x4 LED pods underneath for nighttime wheeling. If I can find a good deal (maybe through Alibaba or the likes) I'll get one for my baja instead of the KC daylighters.

I know it's not a VW/buggy, but here's a comparison from the jeep friend

H4 Conversion on High

Both bars on

-Jameson

Stuartzickefoose Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:52 pm

i have H4s currently and just got dad a set for his 72 and a set for my square also...WAY the hell better than stock. plus, i just dropped these 90/130w bulbs into it and it does 10x better than the wide scatter of HIDs that i dropped in for a couple weeks....they sucked in bad weather so i took em out. gotta run relays to the headlights still, but between those and some vintage foglamps, i get fairly good modern dcar coverage.

but with everything, i would like more for offroading n such, so i was looking at LED floodlights for slow stuff (chain-ups, deep mud and getting stuck, stops for food etc), and deciding what kind of driving lights i want for when im moving. hoping to daylight the 500 yards ahead of me whenever i feel like it if nothing else...:lol:

thanks guys. keep it coming :)

Axitech Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:04 am

Where are you buying the kits for h4 upgrades.? I'm assuming you have to remove the old headlight and can reuse the bucket, but the lens/housing would have to be replaced and the h4 bulbs I know I can get anywhere. thanks, Bob

Mexicant Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:23 am

I've got the Autopal H4 units on my baja and for the $40 investment it's totally worth it. There's a seller on eBay I got them from.

Stuartzickefoose Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:31 am

Bus depot sells a bosch pair for 50 bucks, amazon had the 90/130w hella headlight bulbs for 7 each or so.

Amazon has tons of diffrent h4 options to...but some may not fit perfectly. You usuallypay about 25 each side and up.

Island Bumpkin Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:33 am

All sorts of places make them. I got a rectangle set through a company by tbe name of EuroEFX. The round projector/halos on my ttruck I ordered through Amazon. If you do a Google search for "h4 conversion lons" or the likes, you should find all sorts of them

Axitech Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks guys!!

KrAzY-BaJa Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:19 pm

spend the $ on leds! Its unbelievablylylyly bright I could never go back :shock:
I run the pro series, 2-30" A full spot and full flood and a 13" combo.
100x better than my 3-7"and 2-4" HIDs
http://shop.tough-light.com/main.sc

this is just the flood

Island Bumpkin Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:30 pm

What size are those? Looks like a 36".

Have any pictures of those at night?

-edit-
Ah 30 inch. You updated while i was typing :P

Island Bumpkin Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:33 pm

double post-ignore

tsj5677 Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:11 pm

I've been pleased with my LED bar. 20" flood/spot combo from here.

www.sneveysoffroad.com

Added a fork mount to carry my mountain bike on top while I was at it.

Stuartzickefoose Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:49 pm

well, ill definately be looking into an LED bar....:D

how about driving lights? any favorite brands? KC Daylighters? Lightforce? Hella? etc? is there even any need with the LEDs? im also looking at when im back country and wanna see 1000 feet ahead at the deer in the road while im doing 60, so having a good pair of lights for that would be nice!

Island Bumpkin Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:55 pm

For some reason I never noticed that your down in Edmonds.... Nice town. It's nice, as far as off island towns go :P

I like both KC Daylighters and Hella lights. I've got daylighters that may be going on my bug.

As far as needing LED's? If all you're going to be doing is street driving, I imagine halogens or HID's will do you fine. Because of the absurd brightness of most LED bars, you'll have very few chances to use it while driving on backroads. Besides, it's hard to remember to reach over, hit the switch to turn them off when a car is approaching, then reach back over and turn them on again. More hassle than it's worth IMO.

-Jameson

Stuartzickefoose Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:32 pm

what are the top LED bars you guys tend to use?

Fltblkbaja Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:52 am

[img]

Rigid industries, well worth the cash [/img][/list]