TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Intro (barely) Page: 1, 2  Next
fleet_maintenance Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:04 am

Hello Samba! I've owned my Westy for over a decade now, and have spent way more time storing it than driving it. I've put less than 3.5k miles on it since it was purchased. It's been holding steady at roughly 160k mi. It's a pretty clean Colorado/California van that I couldn't pass up (they were just about giving it away, honest!) when I lived out West. I drove it back to the East Coast about 10 years ago, and ended up storing it in the basement of my buddy's dairy barn. (Yes, there's more to the story.) Currently, it is off the road, as I have 4 vehicles, 3 of which are registered (2 of which are other Vag/Audi) and insured, and driven daily. The van is currently residing at my woodshop/personal auto repair center, and I tackle projects on it in between keeping my 3 registered vehicles running (hence: "fleet_maintenance). I am a long time lurker, and registered recently on the off chance that:

1. I didn't spend all my money on parts for my other vehicles
-and-
2. I was near my computer when Tristar Eric's "group buy" for the DL hit.

Regardless of whether or not I get the lights (priorities, sigh...) I've been posting a little bit lately, and figured I would formally introduce myself.

The Westy is hopefully on it's way to achieve it's former glory. The only overnight I've ever taken it on (other than driving it non-stop way too fast from CO to NY (this trip played a part into it going into long term storage))
was to an IndyCar race at PPIR in Fountain, CO (RIP). I was there for the race, parked, top popped, in between Million $ Provosts and 5th wheels. The westy stole the show.

No, the plow is not attached. No, its not a syncro.

Anyways, I really enjoy the technical builds and innovation (This means you Hodakaguy, xxooOOoox, Tristar Eric and countless others (you too inSyncro)) and get a kick out of a lot of the banter. I do all my own work and appreciate the effort this community puts forth when posting and documenting their efforts.

Thanks for reading my intro, I'll be around.

j_dirge Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:49 am

fleet_maintenance wrote:
No, the plow is not attached.
Very cool!
:lol:
Perhaps not attached, but that image is in my personal hall-of-fame collection, now.

Welcome to the mad house!

shadetreetim Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:54 am

Welcome and thanks for sharing. Now get some miles on that ride.

shadetreetim Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:24 am

*EDIT*

Sorry, sometimes when I post from my phone it double post.

SCP_Austin Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Looks like someone has a case of 'the repeater'

randywebb Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:10 pm

what is in the rest of the fleet?

fleet_maintenance Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:32 pm

randywebb wrote: what is in the rest of the fleet?

let's see...in addition to the stock 87 Westy, I currently have:

-1994 suburban 4x4, bought rust free 10years ago with 69k when I lived in CO, has nearly 200K right now, still super solid and rust free, drinks gas like it's a pig, but pulls stumps.

-2001 Audi A4 1.8tqmt, bought this fall from a guy from CO who moved to NYC. Car was/is immaculate, absolutely rust free, and had 208k mi. Currently has 215k, about to replace clutch, timing belt, etc. Stage 1 tune, awesome car

***picked up a spare 1.8t AWM complete with everything for this car, possibly may go into the westy, or into this next vehicle****

-1998 VW Cabrio, bought for $300, new suspension incl bushings, control arms, bilstein/eibach (low), just installed new clutch and found some 4x100 BBS RC's for it. Currently on OEM wheels with studs for winter. Using it while I take care of the Audi, may get a 1.8t. 150k mi.

I narrowly avoided adding to my fleet today when I called too late on another 2001 A4 1.8tqmt with a blown motor. Thanks goodness. I'm under strict orders NOT to bring home more strays.

But I can't help it.

xoo00oox Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Welcome aboard.

That's a nice fleet you have.

What are your plans with the Westy?

djkeev Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:25 am

Boy! That old Fisher Plow is SCREAMING for some love!

Some steel plate...... A coat of paint maybe? :wink:

Nice looking cutting edge though........ Must be fairly new?

Dave

fleet_maintenance Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:00 am

xoo00oox wrote: That's a nice fleet you have.
What are your plans with the Westy?

Thanks! I'm sort of like "Hotel California" garage for vehicles. As for the Westy, I am slowly working toward "making it right". The van was originally an automatic. I got ahold of an 86 donor a few years ago, and had a trusted friend rebuild the WBX and swap it and the 4 speed into mine while it was being stored. I installed a new radiator along with a lot of other little things. I need to reinstall the kitchen, because I removed it to hammer and dolly out a good crease the PO left in the side and on the rear wheel arch, probably on a gas pump island pier. I got everything into shape, needed minimal filler (less than 1/32 anywhere) and etch primed and rattle canned (with lacquer) the repaired side as I needed to get it out of the shop. I am planning on re-spraying the entire van when I get the time, and have gotten a few other spots addressed. I'm planning on making it as clean, safe, and road-worthy as possible, and using it when the snow is gone, provided I'm not faced with any catastrophic issues with my daily(s). I'v only got room for one project in the woodshop at a time. The Westy has been in hibernation too long.

I've always been a fan of VAG products, and when I say that 1.8t swaps were not only possible, but feasable, that started me thinking...

I bought my Audi to get more familiar.

Between the beautiful work SAH has done, and the ground-breaking work your'e doing, there just may be a 1.8t in my van in the future, turning one way or the other! Thank you for sharing. It is AWESOME to see your willingness to experiment, and ability to make it happen.

djkeev wrote: Boy! That old Fisher Plow is SCREAMING for some love!

Some steel plate...... A coat of paint maybe?

Nice looking cutting edge though........ Must be fairly new?

Yeah, the blade is on it's last legs although the cutting edge is great. It still moves snow though, and, as I don't plow commercially, it hasn't been high on my list of priorities.
I bought the entire set-up (plow/frame/pump/harness) along with a FRESH rebuilt HD tranny (and with everything else I could unbolt) off a friend's 94 Chevy plow truck for cheap, before it went to the scrap yard. Getting the chance to remove all of these parts gave me the confidence to re-install everything on mine. Blades pop up on my local Craigslist all of the time for <$250. One of these days the timing will be right....
I'm still waiting for the Bentley edition for "1992-1999 GMC/Chevy C/K 1500" to be published. :cry: so I can complete the set, and have one for every vehicle I own.

I work with my hands daily, have a stubborn and determined nature, and a tool hoarding problem. I do just about all of my own work. It just generally takes me "book rate x 4" the first time.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

insyncro Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Welcome, fellow NYer.

fleet_maintenance Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks. I enjoy checking out the work you put into rust prevention, protection, and restoration. Top notch.

fleet_maintenance Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:07 pm

After a decade in hibernation, and two years with the kitchen/interior removed, I got busy over the last few weeks and the Westy is almost whole again.

Rattle can paint repair on the DS. I used lacquer for it as I needed to get it out of the shop (bodywork/paint completed 1/2013) and planned to repaint the Van entirely in the near(er) future. (the spot behind the Drivers door seam is from tacking the kitchen body panel stiffener/brace back in between the pillars. Still getting the hang of the welder...and body work)

Now that it's clean, all the other imperfections stand out. (the grilles are just resting in place, I've got to to reinstall a couple rivets in the DS headlight bucket)

The kitchen area was sitting like this for a long time:

After encapsulator/primer/paint/insulation last weekend:

And cabinets installed today(I put the doors on after the picture :oops: )

I've managed to spend a few hours, every couple of nights steamcleaning and simple greening EVERYTHING.

I want to take care of a few other maintenance items this upcoming week. If all goes well, I will take one of my fleet off the road (most likely the cabrio) and transfer the plates/insurance onto the Westy. Once it's on the road, legit, I'll start addressing the rest of the list.

Hoping to be wandering around in it soon!

danfromsyr Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:27 pm

looking good.

LMK if you go wandering around the CNY (Syracuse) area..

be happy to meet up and BS a bit.

Zeitgeist 13 Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:43 pm

A T3 with a three point hitch on the front would be totally bitchin'

sandoz Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:25 pm

Where are you living in Central NY?

I grew up in Seneca Falls, NY and bought my Westy from a family near Honeyoye Lake. Shortly after I took the van on a road trip and moved to Crested Butte, CO.... I lived there for 12 years and am now in Denver. My van has gone through several stages of hibernation and storage pod days.

Glad to see that you are digging back in and getting the Westy back on the road!!! I only have a Mazda 4X4 pickup in my fleet to take up the slack but it is essential to have a runner when working on our true loves....

fleet_maintenance Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:46 pm

danfromsyr wrote: LMK if you go wandering around the CNY (Syracuse) area..
Thanks Dan, will do, I roundtrip Saratoga to Rochester and back every two months or so. Hopefully doing it in the Westy soon.
sandoz wrote: Where are you living in Central NY?
Rochestarian by birth, currently residing in Saratoga Springs since leaving CO. I'd be lost without my tow vehicle, a parts runner, and a back-up :D

Steve M. Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Welcome to the forum! Now that you put the interior back in, that yellow insulation has a tendency to hold water and rust out the the metal from the inside out. "Fluid Film" is your friend!

fleet_maintenance Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:15 am

Thanks Steve, I'll keep tabs on it. Hopefully someday I will more thoroughly insulate, but for now, I wanted to get it back together so I could get these:

The number of the Beast.... Thanks NY! (These are not personalized plates, BTW!)

I've recently installed my upgraded headlight relays, waiting on the upgraded alternator wiring from thatvwbusguy (it's on it's way!) and getting ready to run new gas lines (hose from Amazon, metal firewall fitting fron Terry Kay.)
Picked up a vintage NIB Hella Rallye 1000 kit, and eBayed front and rear 944 foglight switches.

Also have some other new parts from Theskylightguy, backyard_CNC, and Unibagel.

Time to get busy!

edit: I almost forgot, I drove +/- 500 miles round trip with 26 alloys/steelies/tires in my Suburban to dismount/mount/balance. In that pile were my bridgestone truck tires on steelies. THe tires were swapped over to the Carat alloys I ferreted away a few years ago. My new Carat lug set-up from Chris at T3 Technique should be here any time!

fleet_maintenance Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:21 am

relays installed, Carat alloys installed, bumper on, passenger seat re-installed, plates on, bleeding the coolant system, THERMOSTAT STUCK?!?!

replaced thermostat, in the process of re-bleeding it...