TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stereo wiring help on 1972 Beetle!
1972Herbie Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:05 pm

I have a 1972 Standard Beetle that has been a project for me for the past few months. I am new to the VW world. All of my previous projects have been GM cars, but I have been wanting a beetle. I found one locally for a good deal and decided to jump on it.

I am wanting to install a cd player since the car has no radio. The dash has already been cut on it fortunately/unfortunately. I am wanting it to be on switched power though, not wired directly to the battery. Can anyone give me specific instructions on how to properly wire this up? I already have the speaker wires run, just need to know how to wire this thing up! I have read that it could burn up the points?? Also, my car has been converted to an alternator.

Any help is appreciated!
Joe

ROCKOROD71 Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:11 pm

burning up the points is why you want to wire it to constant power. If you check the technical tabs for your year wiring diagram, you can see which fuses are wired for constant power and tap into that. Of course, if the radio doesn't have a power button then this is an issue and you wanna used switched power. The thing about the points is, if you're on switched power and you are waiting for your significant other out in the driveway, listening to your tunes with the car off, there is still voltage running to your distributor/points. Leaving the key turned on will burn them up. If you're pulling from constant power you can sit in the driveway until the battery is dead with no other adverse effects.

1972Herbie Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:34 pm

Thank you, I will keep that in mind. I won't really drive the car but on the weekend/ maybe occasionally to work. I don't mind having to start the car to listen to the radio, I'm just looking for some advice/guidance. I would eventually like to add a sub. Not to rattle the car, but balance it all out. I also have an under-dash 8-track player that i'm wanting to install. It is separate from everything of course but it doesn't have a power button. I would either need to wire in a toggle switch which i'm sure I could hide and is a possibility or run it off of the switched power. I'm not really wanting to rig anything up, but I also don't want to mess up the points or anything else on the car.

pwmcguire Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:07 pm

This is exactly why I came up with this. You don't even have to cut into you wiring.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1524914

VeeDubDoug Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:46 pm

^^^
That's cool! 8)

You can also put a switch on the coil circuit.

Keeping the switch off when using the "accessory" side of the ignition switch you wont burn your points.

It will also work as a kill switch if hidden somewhere...

1972Herbie Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:05 pm

pwmcguire wrote: This is exactly why I came up with this. You don't even have to cut into you wiring.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1524914

That is cool! I think that will be my solution! I will probably buy one when I get paid on the 1st. The kill switch idea is good too and I still may do it just to have a kill switch.

Thanks guys!

SBD Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:29 pm

There is a member here who said he pulled power from the terminal in the ignition switch that reminds you that you've left your key in the switch. This way, you can switch the ignition off but power will remain for items wired to the buzzer terminal until you remove the key from the switch. I plan to try this on my kit car when I rewire it, hopefully in the spring. Of course it would only work on cars that are originally equipped with the key buzzer (I've read that some aftermarket replacement switches might not have the terminal for the buzzer), and I plan to wire the terminal to a relay to provide power for accessories.

pwmcguire Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:21 am

SBD wrote: There is a member here who said he pulled power from the terminal in the ignition switch that reminds you that you've left your key in the switch. This way, you can switch the ignition off but power will remain for items wired to the buzzer terminal until you remove the key from the switch. I plan to try this on my kit car when I rewire it, hopefully in the spring. Of course it would only work on cars that are originally equipped with the key buzzer (I've read that some aftermarket replacement switches might not have the terminal for the buzzer), and I plan to wire the terminal to a relay to provide power for accessories.

That might be a seatbelt buzzer and is a ground wire (brown) coming from the key and you wire power through a relay. I've done it on my 73, it works great

Joel Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:56 pm

SBD wrote: There is a member here who said he pulled power from the terminal in the ignition switch that reminds you that you've left your key in the switch. This way, you can switch the ignition off but power will remain for items wired to the buzzer terminal until you remove the key from the switch. I plan to try this on my kit car when I rewire it, hopefully in the spring. Of course it would only work on cars that are originally equipped with the key buzzer (I've read that some aftermarket replacement switches might not have the terminal for the buzzer), and I plan to wire the terminal to a relay to provide power for accessories.

That would be me, I've used the key in door ajar buzzer system in mine for years.

Its perfect for the job as the radio only works when the key is in the ignition but it doesnt have to be turned on.

I'm lucky my bug has the positive signal which means I just connect it straight to the power for my headunit.
Some early 70s US models have a ground signal instead unless you retro fit a different switch but this can be used to trigger a relay instead.

I've never seen an early one that grounds, all mine even the original 71 has had the positive signal, apparently it was only grounded on US models with a generator.

mondshine Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:45 pm

I did this on my '71 (US model) Super like this:

Terminal SU on the ignition switch was grounded with the key in the ignition (but switched off). The radio would operate after switching the ignition off until the key was removed.

Good luck, Mondshine

1972Herbie Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:32 pm

Thank you guys! I am still thinking of how I want to do this. I am leaning towards buying the Delayed Radio Circuit device that Patrick makes. You are all very knowledgeable and I'm happy to hear everyone's ideas still! I will be adding a sub to my system at a later date, probably when I do the interior. I am also adding my underdash 8 track player that I have. I am hoping to have the bug thumping soon! :)

SBD Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:39 pm

1972Herbie wrote: I am also adding my underdash 8 track player that I have. I am hoping to have the bug thumping soon! :) :shock: Won't that disrupt the space-time continuum or somethin' like that? :-k

1972Herbie Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:01 pm

SBD wrote: 1972Herbie wrote: I am also adding my underdash 8 track player that I have. I am hoping to have the bug thumping soon! :) :shock: Won't that disrupt the space-time continuum or somethin' like that? :-k

It very well could! Believe it or not, I have many 8-track tapes and an alarm clock that plays them... That started when I got a 1972 Convertible Cutlass with a factory 8-track. It's been an addiction since...