TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: floorpans and heater channels.
quintenebersole Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:21 pm

I have a 74 baja bug That i got 2 years ago for a project. Figuring by the time i got my license i would be done (not). I just got the body off and are starting to get ready to put new floor pans in. I was thinking i should do this first seeing how its the base, i could then make it easier to line up with the heater ch. Am i going the right way about this? Any good methods to go about replacing the floor pans? I consider my self to be pretty handy and is a decent problem solver.

I need to replace:
floor
heater channel and heating boxes if its worth it?
Door pillars
Rear quarter panels
bottom of wheel wells

Is there any way i can get clean out the tunnel because some mighty mice made it there home?

Can i paint over POR-15?

I would like help even if you cant answer all my questions. Thank you for your time fellow vdub'rs. :D

Mike Fisher Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:05 pm

Leave 2" or more at the front and back when you cut out the old pans. You'll be able to tack weld in the new pans with the body on & the pans bolted to your heater channels for a perfect fit! :twisted:

quintenebersole Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Ok cool thanls for the advise. Im currently rebuilding the frame under the drivers side door panels.

Mike Fisher Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:35 am

You might as well unbolt/wedge down/carefully cut out the bad pans now. It will make it easier to rebuild your heater channels/inner fenders that do look to need some Work! :wink:

quintenebersole Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:08 pm

yea I got my work cut out for me. Floor pans are out im rebuilding the whole front center tunnel some mice got into it and it rusted out big time. Im thinking about cutting a thick piece of scrap metal and just making the hole bottom flat in stead of the little lips. Its about the easiest and best way to go about this sorry that its not really heater cha. or floor pan related. Ill try to put pics up later tonight.