TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: how many of you carry a spare?
cupcake Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:13 pm

Where did you mount it? (pics?) And do you carry a front or a rear or both or what?

no1clyde Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:27 pm

I do, on the roof. It is a front tire but would get me back if needed.

[img]

[/img]

Ed

yummi Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:03 am

I do - mounted over engine cage w/ jack.

SamT Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:24 am

Im building a street legal, offroad glass buggy. With the mud tires i have and beadlocks i think i could limp home flat no problem unless i destroy a tire or have passengers in the back seat too.

In my pickup i carry a cylinder of nitrogen and plug kit. I havent been to a tire shop besides for new tires in years nor have i had to change a flat. I have a spare tire that has never touched the ground on a 2005 pickup.

dirtkeeper Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:14 pm

I carry a full size stock spare in the stock location under the hood, full body car.

I Figure it is only to get me back to civilization so as mis sized as it is i should be able to limp home.

BUGGUTZ Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:35 pm

I carried a stock spare. Had to use it once on the front, it didnt even touch the ground lol!

takotruckin Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:48 pm

I don't but I should. I've gotten by pretty well with a nice plug kit and a compressor.

dirtkeeper Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:20 am

takotruckin wrote: I don't but I should. I've gotten by pretty well with a nice plug kit and a compressor.

I keep a plug kit on hand too. Figure though that a flat in in the woods will be a bent rim or a slashed sidewall. Non repairable. And not a nail or typical hole.

DHale_510 Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:32 am

Baja Bug:

The mount is a spider that attaches to the rear bumper with 4 hose clamps.
The Buggy has one strapped to the top of the roll cage about the same way, no picture handy.
They are good luck charms, don't need them if you have them items...
Dennis

cupcake Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:55 am

Where did you get the 3 way tie down?

KrAzY-BaJa Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:10 pm

I had 2 flats before at 1 time with only 1 spare :lol:

DHale_510 Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:52 am

cupcake wrote: Where did you get the 3 way tie down?

It's a Dietz part, from MacKenzies in Orange.
Dennis

mr_bill Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:34 am

under the hood, in my Class 11 car.... 8)

..& on the roof-rack on my "OldManx"..... 8)

WrRider Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 pm

I carried one on my roof rack for long trips, it's a stock wheal and tire. The tools are important too. I always had a stock jack and tire iron, latter I found out that the tire iron would not fit my lug nuts I'm glad I never got a flat! I did use it to hold in a friends rear trailing arm when he lost his pivot bolt.