TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Thinning the herd - what should I sell, what should I keep?
thom Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:13 pm

I've been taking a good hard look at my car inventory, storage situation, and expenses. Long story short, I think I have too many cars. My insurance is almost $6000 a year for full coverage; I've looked into cheaper insurance companies, but with cheaper insurance, you also get cheaper everything else; that's a topic for another thread. I'm toying with the idea of selling one or two, but can't make up my mind as to what should stay and what should go.

I'm in the process of finishing up a 1963 T34 Karmann Ghia, and then I have a 1957 23-window to work on after that. I also have a driver-condition 1956 single cab.

Candidates for the block; these are all running/driving cars:

1956 Karmnn Ghia. Fully restored in 2007, about 5000 miles on the clock since then. Beautiful car, but almost too nice to drive. This one is the prettiest in the fleet

1952 11C. Crusty weekend/fun driver. Original 25hp engine, original crashbox trans, some pretty good fender, heater channel, and apron rust. I don't think it's economical to restore this one, although ironically the pans are perfect. This one would be the hardest to replace.

1960 DD panel. Fully restored in 2000, but has developed a couple of small rust issues. I drove the hell out of it for a few years. It's a very handy bus to have, but I usually use the single cab instead

1968 single cab. Decent driver with hoops and canvas. Has a couple of dinky little issues, but overall it's a truck I can jump in and go to Home Depot. This is the least "vintage" of the fleet

c21darrel Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:32 pm

$6K a year seems steep. How many cars other than the above? Are they all garaged?
The most desirable (hardest to replace) cars, if sold, will haunt you the most.
bye-bye bay window scab.

thom Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:34 pm

c21darrel wrote: $6K a year seems steep. How many cars other than the above? Are they all garaged?
The most desirable (hardest to replace) cars, if sold, will haunt you the most.
bye-bye bay window scab.

The $6k also includes my E46 M3 daily driver

gt1953 Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:25 pm

The 68 single cab from what you have listed. I would have a use for one. Yes it would be used. The final decision is yours. It is hard to sell one after you have owned it a while.

joe56vw Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:06 pm

I recently had to sell off almost all of my collection and the easiest way was to take a practical view on the whole thing

sounds like you have the '56 sc to "replace" the '68 sc with and the panel would depend on how much and what yours uses/need are for it
also sounds like you have a newer ghia to "replace" the older with

I think you should keep the split cause like you said it would be hard to "replace" and has more value to you then it would get on the open market

of course in the end you just have to sit down and decide which one you can live without

cdennisg Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Lose the Ghia and the 68 single cab. I'd be happy to give the truck a home for you.

ALLWAGONS Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:38 pm

I would sell the Type 34, the Ghia and the Double door panel as those have lower resale values. Your single cab is useful, the split will only go up in value, just as your 23 window and your single cab.

I owned a few type 34's and they just don't bring in the cash, Ghias, it's a tough market and panels are out there. Notice how everyone wants your single cab and NOT your Split, your Panel or Ghias.

My opinion.

Martin
allwagons

hitest Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:52 pm

Thom- I see this very differently than others. Your taste and calibers in these cars has steadily risen over the years. Oddly, the oldest car in your fleet is the most common- the '52. After your concourse Ghia and the type 34- you will always be able to find another well-done early beetle. Also, it looks like you are moving toward a collection of "first year" models. The answer's clear- sell the split for now and hold out for something that starts with a "4."

c21darrel Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Quote: Lose the Ghia

Ouch. Not the ghia.
I think i would revisit the insurance and look for options as it still sounds way too high. I have a daily 4 runner (yeah not a M3), a ghia insured for 25K @$240/yr, agreed value and a 67 double cab all for under $1400/yr. There must be better insurance available at closer to half your current premiums.
Would you be willing to drive a lesser daily to keep the vw's?
Do the vw's have safe covered parking on your property? are you paying offsite storage? Other new hobbies begging for more attention. To me. these kinds of things cloud the issues.
Investment wise, the value of your collection is only going up and its significantly better than the less than 1% banks pay on savings. Its a great time to own a collection as nice as yours.

Stanagon Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:10 pm

68 sc was first choice for me. Then 56 Ghia since you prob. don't drive it very often.

carnut63 Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 am

If you want a work truck to replace the '68 go get an old nissan or toyota and not worry about beating it up.

thom Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:11 am

carnut63 wrote: If you want a work truck to replace the '68 go get an old nissan or toyota and not worry about beating it up.

I only use the trucks for household errands, not for actual employment.

lawn ninja Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:49 pm

I would get rid of the bay for the sole reason that you said you can use the panel for the same reasons. Double doors aren't all that common and buses don't seem to be dropping in value at all. Then I would dump the split. Mostly because you said it isn't worth restoring and has some rust issues. That means it's only getting worse and due to that will continue to lose value. So I would sell it while it still has value, not to mention 52's aren't super rare but still have that "split" aura about them. The Ghia while barely a driver is starting to gain interest from collectors, why they haven't been collected to this point is beyond me. But nice examples are getting harder to find, the lowlights even more so. They are also being talked about as the next 356's.

cliff notes version:

Punt the bay and the split, you gave the reasons why.

Mike Fisher Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:52 am

The '56 & '68 lead the polling. You better keep the split or you will regret selling it. :twisted:

skills@eurocarsplus Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:01 pm

kind of went through this myself recently. i guess the biggest question is would you ever buy it back. once you sell it, would you ever want to find THAT car again. if you say no, then that's the one to sell.

Iowa Mark Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Another way to look at this is whether it is the driving and using the cars, or is it the process of restoring and bringing another one back to life? I know several car nutz that have lots of cars and the one they love the most is the one up on jack stands with the engine in pieces at the machine shop. It is almost always the case that the latest one is the one that is closest to the perfection being strived for.

crofty Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:34 am

At first I was going to suggest the SC, but then I remebered how useful they are. I'd pass the DD Panel on- those are not all that hard to find. Well, maybe not in yellow...

babysnakes Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:23 pm

A Bay SC is a better truck than a Split though lacks the "Cool" factor. ( No I'm not trying to start a piss match between the two, so don't start) And as far as abundancy, I'll bet there are far fewer Bay trucks than Splits due to the chicken tax.

thom Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:35 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I think when I get some free time I'll tidy up the bay-window single and put it on the block.